All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

davearge
@73.167.172.x

davearge

Anon

[Equip] Comcast Modem Upgrade to Arris TG862 from Cisco for 105mbps?

So I have had Comcast 105mbps service for a few months now with the Cisco DPC3939 Modem/Router. I went to pay my bill last week and there was a message saying I was eligible for a free modem Upgrade to the Arris TG862 for free.

I selected it and in a few days it showed up at my door. I hooked it up and activated it immediately. Speeds are roughly the same ranging from 90-115mbps wireless right next to the router. And around 115-130mbps wired. My concern is this new Arris is a 2.4ghz modem/router only where as the Cisco was 2.4 and 5ghz. Was this Arris Modem REALLY an upgrade or should I go back to the Cisco? I searched and could not find any real good info about the Arris modem.

Desii
join:2014-02-25
Yuba City, CA

1 recommendation

Desii

[Equip] Re: Comcast Modem Upgrade to Arris TG862 from Cisco for 105mbps?

The DPC3939 is a 16x4 modem/router (dual band 5ghz and 2.4ghz) and the tg862 (single band 2.4ghz) is an 8x4 modem/router. You should stick with the dpc3939, it's more future proof.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to davearge

MVM

to davearge
said by davearge :

So I have had Comcast 105mbps service for a few months now with the Cisco DPC3939 Modem/Router. I went to pay my bill last week and there was a message saying I was eligible for a free modem Upgrade to the Arris TG862 for free.
:
My concern is this new Arris is a 2.4ghz modem/router only where as the Cisco was 2.4 and 5ghz. Was this Arris Modem REALLY an upgrade or should I go back to the Cisco? I searched and could not find any real good info about the Arris modem.

From what has been stated about the various gateways before, primarily by Darknessfall See Profile, it seems like the ARRIS TG862's Wi-Fi range is not as good as that of the Cisco DPC3939 (or the Technicolor TC8305C):

said by Darknessfall:

... However, the TG862s aren't very good in the wireless department. The TC8305C has better range and the DPC3939 is the best so far available. ...

davearge
@50.177.75.x

davearge

Anon

Thanks guys. Since I still had the Cisco modem here. I hooked it back up and had Comcast reactivate it. i will be sending the Arris back to them. I do not understand why they would offer the Arris as an upgrade if it is actually slower with less range?
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101

said by davearge :

Thanks guys. Since I still had the Cisco modem here. I hooked it back up and had Comcast reactivate it. i will be sending the Arris back to them. I do not understand why they would offer the Arris as an upgrade if it is actually slower with less range?

That doesn't make any sense. From my experience the range is terrible on the TG862.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

2 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

said by jm101:

said by davearge :

That doesn't make any sense. From my experience the range is terrible on the TG862.

The only reason I can think of is if the Cisco DPC3939 (residential model) gateway does not currently support the xfinitywifi "Neighborhood Home Hotspot" as the ARRIS TG862 does, making it more of an "upgrade" for Comcast's public Wi-Fi network.

See: »[WiFi] xfinitywifi channel

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

1 recommendation

Jim721

I believe the 3939 also has IPv6 issues that needs to be addressed with new firmware that comcast has yet to release. But agree if IPv6 is not a concern for you the 3939 is a better gateway hands down.
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101 to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by jm101:

said by davearge :

The only reason I can think of is if the Cisco DPC3939 (residential model) gateway does not currently support the xfinitywifi "Neighborhood Home Hotspot" as the ARRIS TG862 does, making it more of an "upgrade" for Comcast's public Wi-Fi network.

Makes more sense now.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by jm101:

said by davearge :

I'm actually curious of why the DPC3939 hasn't been activated for xfinitywifi yet considering the business version of the DPC3939 had it working for months.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Darknessfall:

I'm actually curious of why the DPC3939 hasn't been activated for xfinitywifi yet considering the business version of the DPC3939 had it working for months.

Yeah, the business version, DPC3939B, was the model (re)tested earlier this month by Speedify for the electrical cost of providing an added xfinitywifi signal: »Re: [WiFi] xfinitywifi channel