Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

What's old is well..... expensive?

I follow Atlus on Facebook, and they posted a TBT picture of an old Sega Saturn title, Lunacy, and mentioned the fact someone wants $400 for it on Amazon. On Ebay, they seem to be asking $80+ for it. I don't have that game, but I DO have Panzer Dragoon Saga, which goes for quite a bit as well.

Apparently, Saturn titles are pretty well sought and many titles (some that I own) go for quite a bit on Ebay.

So I guess my question to folks here is, what is your treasure of gaming? What game do you own that fetches the highest bids on Ebay/other? Would you sell it/them? I think that copy of PDS is probably my most valuable game, and no, I don't see myself selling it anytime soon. In fact, I kinda want to pull the ol Saturn out and give it a run, it's been a long time........ I really liked that system and the games I have for it. Nights is far better on it, than the PSN version I bought last year, at least as in terms of control.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
I doubt that I have any game paraphernalia that's worth actual money. The only possible exception is my System Shock 1 hint book, I.C.E. Breaker, from 1994. I found one in new condition going for $100 on eBay. But it's in plastic wrap (which I find odd; it's not like the book was shrink-wrapped to begin with -- at least not in the NA market).

All my other old stuff -- DOS games on diskette, SNES games, etc. -- is common and has no value.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -?lafr H?skuldsson

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to captokita
Likewise, my stuff isn't worth any actual money, it's just stuff I personally think is interesting. My stepfather's mother found some old Atari games in her attic and gave them to me, among them E.T., which I think is cool just to own a copy of such an infamous game. I don't even have an Atari to play it on.

I also have an original NES I bought off of ebay for around $75, still in the original box with all the manuals and packing materials and a Kay-Bee toys price tag from when it was sold at retail. It smells like mothballs but works like brand new. I have it hooked up to a CRT tv in the corner of the mancave for when I'm feeling nostalgic. I bought Mario1, 2 and 3 and the original TMNT game to go with it since those were some of my first games as a kid. I'm thinking of splurging on Battletoads. I beat TMNT as a kid (HARD) but never could get past the second speeder part on Battletoads, so I'm sure it's a lost cause now.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to captokita
To add to this, captokita See Profile mentioned Atlus. Seems like their games tend to have significantly higher secondary market value, which I attribute toward possible production limitation. I've seen this a lot with Japanese media of various sorts, where only a limited run of books, albums, games, etc. will be produced. Depending on the popularity of the item, there may only be a small window in which it can be found new.

A friend recently bought some used anime soundtracks at a local Japanese shop, selling for about $4 each. He later discovered that they are going for upwards of $60 - $80 on eBay.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -?lafr H?skuldsson

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
said by banditws6:

To add to this, captokita See Profile mentioned Atlus. Seems like their games tend to have significantly higher secondary market value, which I attribute toward possible production limitation.

That's very possible. That's why PDS goes for what it does, because it was limited, it came out right at the end of the Saturn's life. At 4 CDs, it was a long game too. I didn't buy it because I thought it'd be worth something, I bought it because it looked cool in the Sega magazine I was subscribed to at the time. Most of the titles I bought were from Working Designs, a company that featured lots of JRPGs, and ARPGs. I bought nearly every title they released. Their titles seem a bit higher as well. It helps they used multiple labels on their discs as variants. My copy of Lunar: The Silver Story for SegaCD was called the "super rare" version by WD - the image on the disc didn't go all the way to the center. Now, if I were obsessive, I'd be trying to find the other versions of the disc, but thankfully, I'm not.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to banditws6
Yeah, all the PS1 Atlus games i bought when they came out I wish I still had. I'd see them a couple years after I sold them at a used game shop and just go, "fuck."
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
I sold off my collection of ps1 Saturn etc a few years ago when I was unemployed and needed dough. I sold a lot of ps1 RPGs for well over 100 on eBay. It's a shame that I had to get rid of them but in all honesty they were just collecting dust. I made well over 3k. It helped but at the same time was sad to let them go.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Premium,Mod
join:2002-09-11
Ishpeming, MI
kudos:3
I collect older video games so if anyone is looking to sell shoot me a pm.

For PDS I do believe that was released in low numbers and the Saturn didnt sell all that well. Combine that with it being a fantastic game with limited availability and the price keeps going up. Its actually one of the Saturn RPG's I still need.
--
You the only one on? | Does anyone know if this socom headset is stereo? | Gimme that $20! | I'm glad we are having suck a great turnout. | carlson why you go swim in lake michigan|news to me and we have no newsletter. Famous "D1" quotes

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Reading, PA
kudos:1
said by Dejavu:

I collect older video games so if anyone is looking to sell shoot me a pm.

For PDS I do believe that was released in low numbers and the Saturn didnt sell all that well. Combine that with it being a fantastic game with limited availability and the price keeps going up. Its actually one of the Saturn RPG's I still need.

Vu did you ever post pics of your collection? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Wait, don't you also own a game store?
--
Insert thoughtful/witty/meaningful/poetic/funny/deep/rude/stupid/random/comment here.
Be unique...ya know, like everyone else.

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Premium,Mod
Ishpeming, MI
Pretty sure ive posted it on here (oldies) before but I may be wrong. I do not own a gamestore yet....

WHole collection is in storage right now. After I redo the basement ill take pics.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
said by Dejavu:

Pretty sure ive posted it on here (oldies) before but I may be wrong. I do not own a gamestore yet....

WHole collection is in storage right now. After I redo the basement ill take pics.

I must have missed it. Oh well, looking forward to seeing it finished. Do you have any arcade boxes in the collection?
--
Insert thoughtful/witty/meaningful/poetic/funny/deep/rude/stupid/random/comment here.

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Premium,Mod
Ishpeming, MI
I assume you mean arcade cabinets?

I have this one: »imgur.com/ufKScLf

Sold the other one I had to make room.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
Reading, PA
said by Dejavu:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Is that a custom job you did or original?
--

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to captokita
»www.ebay.com/itm/Lunar-II-2-Eter···cd0acc59

»www.ebay.com/itm/Chrono-Trigger-···f30491c1

A couple I came up with when I searched a few I have that I heard might be valuable. Both are mint condition, so I linked ones in mint condition.

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Premium,Mod
Ishpeming, MI
reply to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

said by Dejavu:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Is that a custom job you did or original?

original ,not my pic but i have the same machine.
--
You the only one on? | Does anyone know if this socom headset is stereo? | Gimme that $20! | I'm glad we are having suck a great turnout. | carlson why you go swim in lake michigan|news to me and we have no newsletter. Famous "D1" quotes

Lothario

join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON
reply to captokita
I had ET for the Atari but recent developments changed its value....

J/k.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to captokita
One of the greatest challenges with video games especially the classics is having all the materials. Especially nintendo, I mean I think I got my NES when it was fairly new meaning I was 5 or 6 and really at that age you do not think about saving the box the game came in. And the highest valued games on sites like Ebay still have the original packaging, manuals,etc.
--
Filan - Aurin Spellslinger - Pago - Team Legacy