share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

3.5" 320Gb WD blue drive fell off desk

I had to take it out of the external USB case to switch drives and I was doing something then went to put my keyboard back and it fell label side down on some thin carpet which was not too much to break the fall.

It will run but I get a blue screen error now and then about error, I forgot but most of what I found online was about a failing drive :-/ It already had some relocated sectors from before so I just wanted to use it as long as I could

I'm hoping I can back the drive up before I get another BSOD? I had a few bit of thing on it and I might upgrade to a 1TB.

I was looking at a Toshiba 1TB.. any takes on that?
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Re: 3.5" 320Gb WD blue drive fell off desk

I would go with a 240gb ssd. You really can drop em and they are way faster than your hd even if ou get a cheap one.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to Subaru
Absolutely do not power it up at all... get a boot disk with Ghost on it and copy it over before it is dead... if it makes the Ghost trip you are probably all good.

Pretty much the first thing you should ever do with a suspect drive... get it copied and THEN run diagnostics.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by Veloslave:

Absolutely do not power it up at all... get a boot disk with Ghost on it and copy it over before it is dead... if it makes the Ghost trip you are probably all good.

Pretty much the first thing you should ever do with a suspect drive... get it copied and THEN run diagnostics.

well turns out the blue screen was because of a bad drive I forgot I left connected, I tried to clone it but it would only reach up to like 64% and that was a 2.5" drive..

So the WD blue lives on but I still don't keep anything serious on it.

I was thinking a 120Gb for a main for a HTPC should be good enough and not sure speed matters as much as the 3TB drive it will be writing on.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
Mx100 are reasonable now days. »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20148821

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
That's not bad at all

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
There is a SSD war going on. SSD's are reaching the sata speed limit and cant go further so companies have to compete on price and features like software and extra add on.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Hmm been awhile since I really looked on ssd stuff and did not know that was going on.

taffeys

join:2009-11-30
Oceanside, CA
said by Subaru:

Hmm been awhile since I really looked on ssd stuff and did not know that was going on

Like this offer for a 240GB SSD for 100USD »www.neweggflash.com/product/9SIA···J1JJ8220