spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jsmiddleton4
join:2003-11-13
Glendale, AZ

jsmiddleton4

[WIN7] IE11 getting worse and worse

I've tried to be an IE guy. Use it at work. Didn't really have a problem using it for my own use. Yes there are endless debates about IE sucks, use Chrome, Chrome sucks use Firefox, ditch Microsoft and use a MAC and Safari.....

On and on it goes.

IE had been good enough for my use.

But it seems lately between Flash, Java, etc., all the stuff that is used "out there" on the web for web sites to be enjoyable to utilize IE is getting slower and slower, more inconsistent and more inconsistent.

I guess Chrome is going to take its place for me. I'm not a big Google guy either. Don't like the Google pictures, how they handled themselves in China, all the cozy relationship they apparently have with the NSA.

I've gotten quite sick of IE giving me the "problem with this site need to reopen" messages, etc., when I get none of those with Chrome or Firefox.

And if there is a Flash embedded in the web site, man IE just seems to choke each time.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg

MVM

I'm having the same issues, flash works FINE at adobe but any other site it just refuses to load or kicks out the page reload. even youtube videos sometimes fail to load at all but will work fine in chrome/safari. Facebook locks up if 2-3 videos are in a row in my newsfeed.

the list goes on and on and on. Some sites I need for work will only work in IE, so I guess I will only use it for those and move regular browsing to something else.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 edit

1 recommendation

vaxvms to jsmiddleton4

Premium Member

to jsmiddleton4
Using Chrome means sharing everything you do on the 'net with Google.

edit
In Chrome when clearing browsing data you're told
"Saved content settings and search engines will not be cleared and may reflect your browsing habits."

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

2 recommendations

Link Logger to jsmiddleton4

MVM

to jsmiddleton4
I'm interested in sites that don't work with IE but work with other browsers if you wouldn't mind sharing the URL.

Blake
Expand your moderator at work

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to jsmiddleton4

Premium Member

to jsmiddleton4

Re: [WIN7] IE11 getting worse and worse

You might want to install this update. It made a noticeable different on my system in site response time at page load and navigating through.

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2991509
jsmiddleton4
Glendale, AZ

jsmiddleton4 to Link Logger

to Link Logger
Fisher Price Kid Game site. I've posted about in this forum.
jsmiddleton4

jsmiddleton4

Ran the suggested patch. Cleared cache, etc., to make sure starting from scratch.

Hit a few web sites that have been consistently problematic with IE11. No improvement noted.

Edit: And it isn't just web sites that are some how esoteric, for lack of a better word. eBAY chokes with IE11 as it attempts to load all the side bar graphics. Chrome snaps to. Same with Firefox.

IE is getting less and less usable. At least for me.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to jsmiddleton4

Premium Member

to jsmiddleton4
said by jsmiddleton4:

Fisher Price Kid Game site. I've posted about in this forum.

Right. »[WIN7] Flash game plays once....IE11 64 Bit

So that's one site. What else? Your original post made it sound like you can't use IE at all (I'm not doubting you) and then you only post about the one site that you've already posted about. What else is a problem for you?
jsmiddleton4
Glendale, AZ

jsmiddleton4

I'm not going to provide you a laundry list of problematic web sites.

I already mentioned eBAY.

Is there some point to your desire to have some list? If so please feel free to check as you desire and let us know which sites work and don't work well with IE11.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to Link Logger

Anon

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

I'm interested in sites that don't work with IE but work with other browsers if you wouldn't mind sharing the URL.

Pages on »www.nj.com crash IE all the time. Poke around, and before long, IE will lock-up.

Domane
Premium Member
join:2013-04-18

Domane to jsmiddleton4

Premium Member

to jsmiddleton4
I've all ways liked IE with the exceptions of a few specific releases. IE 11 started out promising but it just seems to accumulate one new problem after another or an increase of severity in weaknesses all ways present.

Many of my experiences are similar to yours while others are different or in addition.

Even the settings and preferences interface is a stand alone compared to the other browsers that use more similar to each other controls.

About two months ago I had enough and made Chrome my default browser for Windows.

(For my OS X is prefer Firefox...Safari certainly isn't the best IMO)

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to Boooost

Premium Member

to Boooost
said by Boooost :

said by Link Logger:

Pages on »www.nj.com crash IE all the time. Poke around, and before long, IE will lock-up.

That site worked just fine on IE11 under Windows 7 64-bit SP1 and IE11 under Windows 8.1 Update 1? Maybe you need to upgrade your version of IE.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

www.nj.com works fine on IE6 also,i just spent 5/10 mins there.....

Those of you on IE11 please try DISABLING SCRIPTS and see if it still does it?? (Also you can try the mobile interface: »m.nj.com)

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

Freddy to jsmiddleton4

Premium Member

to jsmiddleton4

Have you tried setting IE to its default condition? (Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset [button at bottom].

I'm not having the problems you describe, so just a suggestion.

Freddy
Expand your moderator at work

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to jsmiddleton4

Premium Member

to jsmiddleton4

said by jsmiddleton4:

I'm not going to provide you a laundry list of problematic web sites.
Is there some point to your desire to have some list?

My apologies, I wasn't trying to step on any toes, just following up on another poster's request about sites that don't work...

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to Dustyn

Anon

to Dustyn
Click for full size
Browser crashed twice in 5 minutes just now on nj.com
Try looking at the article about the horse hit by a car on I-287.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

Click for full size
No problem here.

Freddy
Premium Member
Arlington, VA

Freddy

Premium Member

I looked around nj.com, and read the article about the horse bit by a car on Route 287, and my IE11 didn't malfunction or crash. I'm running Windows 8.1.1 with all updates.

Freddy

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to jsmiddleton4

Premium Member

to jsmiddleton4
Click for full size
Poking around nj.com with IE11, 64 bit Win7 Pro SP1 without any problems.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to Boooost

Premium Member

to Boooost
Click for full size
Seems okay?
Maybe it's some browser BHO? IE: McAfee?

Freddy
Premium Member
Arlington, VA

Freddy

Premium Member

Also, sometimes add-ons can cause issues. Try disabling those: Tools > Internet Options > Advanced. Scroll down and uncheck "Enable third party browser extensions," if you haven't done so already.

If this fixes the problem, enable them one at a time until you find the one causing issues. If this step doesn't do anything, then put the browser extensions setting back to where it was.

Freddy
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to jsmiddleton4

to jsmiddleton4
Ive tracked down allot of site crash problems over the years. Many are a combanation of browser plus some other install. Not talking plug ins but if it is found that they are not the cause you need to look out side the browser. Like was stated the behavior does not happen with non ie browsers example ff or chrome. But that is to be expected they are different from Ie. Ie has ties to the os more so than does chrome and firefox. Meaning something could be a setting or another program installed. Normally something else internet related that is hooked in to the os. For example a firewall could cause it. Or a torrent program that is always looking for torrent related links for torrents and magnet links.

Basically you want to look for something that ither the browsers use or uses the browser. If you track it down and it is a firewall it is most likely a setting such as for example stateful packet inspection. Changing that to off in the fire wall may result in no more crashes. If that is the case and crashes stop turn it back on if they return you found the cause. Now you simply adjust settings with in the spi setting untill the crashes stop. Change one test no difference try another and turn the first back to previous setting rinse repeat till you find the cause.

If a torrent program is running first step shut it down test. If crash gone start it up test if it returns you found it. Toggle settings at that point until the crash is gone again one at a time.

Do this for any thing that the browser uses or that uses the browser.

I used the fire wall and torrent programs only as examples. As they are the 2 most common causes of browser crashes with some web sites that are not caused by a bug in the browser or directly related to the browser. But there are tons of other ones as well.Just have to do some trial and error leg work to find out what it is.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Boooost

Premium Member

to Boooost
I went and tested this out as well. OS is Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Update 1 installed, as well as all current MS Patches. Here is the about box for the version information for IE 11.

Not sure if it matters, but I did also want to add that my shortcut for IE points to the 64 bit version, which is located at "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe". That is the exe that I tested all this with.

In my case, since IE is not my default browser, I have it set that all the ad-ons that are installed on my system are disabled, as shown below

When I was reading the article, I saw both a pop-up ad

as well as IE giving me a notice that it blocked an ad, and asked if I wanted to see it

Finally, since I do have all my ad-ons disabled (which of course includes flash), I saw this note that I need to upgrade my flash player to view videos on the site

Outside of those few items, I was able to read the specific article (horse gets hit on i-287) as well as browse and read other articles on the site without it crashing IE.

As others have said, it appears to be a specific issue with your system. Likely causes are either an incompatible plug-in, or maybe a form of blocking software that you have in place that may not work with IE 11 (like, for example, AdBlockPlus, ghostery, etc). I would look into those areas and try to disable / turn things off one at a time and see if the site loads fine. I know in my case, I don't have any of those pieces of software installed as well as no enabled plug-ins, and the site loads fine.

--Brian

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

1 recommendation

Chubbzie to jsmiddleton4

to jsmiddleton4
Do you have any AV installed on your system(s)? Many of the newer AV's create a shim or localhost proxy that funnels all of your web traffic through it before reaching you (so to speak) to check for malicious/nefarious activities. I've seen certain combinations of AV's & browsers causing all sorts of slowdowns or other issues for users.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to plencnerb

Anon

to plencnerb
It seems to be related to Flash ads. Not all of them, just some.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

It is size id be willing to bet damn near. In ff or other browser get a add on to download flash files and see if the ones that crash you are larger than ones that do not.

Razzy12345
@69.204.157.x

Razzy12345 to jsmiddleton4

Anon

to jsmiddleton4
»www.iegallery.com/en-us/ ··· ionlists

IE11 built in adblock - love it.
Razzy12345

Razzy12345 to jsmiddleton4

Anon

to jsmiddleton4
»www.iegallery.com/en-us/ ··· ionlists

Go here and click on Add button of EastList Standard.

This is basically an AdBlock built in. IE11 is very fast (~70-80ms in SunSpider). Won't use anything else.