spc
Search similar:

uniqs
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Indeed, it will

If you're going to punish the firm(s) that invest the capital to wire the last mile, or put up the towers and backhaul, by forcing them to wholesale their facilities at government-dictated price-points, they're going to stop said investment and ride it out.

The reason we have cheap, ubiquitous cable modem service at 10-30x the speed of copper, is precisely because there was an opportunity to compete, so cableco invested in plant. Likewise for Verizon's Fios, though they don't get much credit for their lower-priced offerings.

Telco was forced for several years to wholesale DSL; the lack of investment followed.

Apply the same nonsense to wireless carriers, and you'll bring the system to its knees, while cellco will shrug.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

2 recommendations

TechyDad

Premium Member

They'll stop building and just ride it out? You mean like Verizon has done with FIOS? I can't get it where I am (an urban environment, not out in the middle-of-nowhere). One town over has FIOS, but not my town. Verizon has said that they're finishing up a few previously committed to areas and then they're stopping deployment. This sure sounds like stopping investment and riding it out.

The big problem isn't that we're punishing these companies, but that these companies have duopolies or monopolies in their areas and yet insist that they should be treated as if there was a vibrant free market.

If I want to buy groceries, I can go to any of a dozen different supermarkets near me. If I want wired broadband Internet, I have just one choice. If any of the supermarkets doesn't live up to my expectations (say, putting out moldy fruit - yes, I've seen it happen), I can avoid that supermarket to go to another one. If any ISP doesn't live up to my expectations (say, degrading Netflix streams until the service is unusable), I can't simply switch my ISP.

JakCrow
join:2001-12-06
Palo Alto, CA

2 recommendations

JakCrow

Don't forget all the money verizon has taken from rate payers and given by state governments to wire entire states with high speed internet service, only to back out of providing said services, while still pocketing all the money.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Cite, please.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

2 recommendations

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

»www.ntia.doc.gov/legacy/ ··· 61BF.pdf

The companies that make up what is Verizon today (Bell Atlantic/NYNEX/GTE) are the ones responsible.

Since the local RBOC's/GTEOC's were the ones who signed these agreements, they hold the responsibility. These local operating companies still exist today, and as a result VZ is still on the hook.

Best example of VZ backing out of a broadband agreement is the universal 45mbit FTTH at $45 agreement NJ Bell and NJ signed. VZ managed to weasel out of it this year by greasing the cogs.

More current examples of VZ failing its agreements would be cases of incomplete build outs in conflict with a franchise agreement.

fftghuyg
@99.198.76.x

1 recommendation

fftghuyg to elray

Anon

to elray
said by elray:

Cite, please.

Try google
said by elray:

Cite, please.

Try Google but I get the felling u would just ignore the stories as it's obvious what u are

JakCrow
join:2001-12-06
Palo Alto, CA

JakCrow

Hell, we can use this very site.

»Verizon Promises 100% NYC FiOS Coverage By 2014 [28] comments

»Picture Perfect Deal

»New Jersey Wants The 45 Mbps Verizon Promised 20 Years Ago [77] comments

but I'll just throw more "cites" for the mouthpiece.

»www.techdirt.com/article ··· rs.shtml

»www.ethernut.net/new-jer ··· gations/

Since the state governments are letting them slide and keeping the money, it's "okay", but if you or I took peoples money on the promise of delivering a product or service and then didn't, that would be fraud, or even theft and we would be taken to court or even arrested. But not big business. Nope.