uniqs

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

[CATV] SDV issues or something else?

Is SDV the reason that channel switching is SO slow now, and much of the time I get the "Searching for signal" message before the channel selected is found?

Could it be that the DVR I have, Moto DCH 6416 is slower because of its software?

So far, I can't tell that "Spectrum" and doubled HSI, has improved my services. It was much better before SDV was implemented some time ago.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

defiant

"Searching for signal" doesn't sound like an error message generated from your DVR. Sounds more like HDMI handshake issues.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

So it's likely the slowness is probably due to many of the channels I watch being on SDV?

And "HDMI handshake" issues would be between ...? Yes, I'm a technical dummy.

Thanks for your reply.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant

Between the box and the TV. My assumption is that your TV is connected to the box using HDMI. Is this correct?

Motorola boxes don't have a "searching for signal" error. Now, if you saw a message like, "One Moment Please...", then I'd say it was a signal level/tuner issue.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

Yes, the connection is HDMI. So the black page and message is from the TV?

I just thought of something, I have a 3 way splitter on the incoming cable could that be part of the problem? I haven't changed anything about my setup in a long time so I hadn't thought about that.
sittin_tech
join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN

1 edit

sittin_tech

If you lock the cable box to one output your issue should go away. With the tv and cable box on. Push the power botton on the cable box, then push menu. This will bring up the output options. Select your prefered format. Turn 4:3 off then set stretch graphics to wide. Turn the box off and on, then you issue should go away.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

Thanks for the info. Hope I'll get to that this weekend. I'll probably be back sometime, because I've screwed it up, but if not it will be because you've solved my problem. Thanks again!
bozzy
join:2009-08-25
Simpsonville, SC

bozzy to defiant

to defiant
said by defiant:

"Searching for signal" doesn't sound like an error message generated from your DVR. Sounds more like HDMI handshake issues.

I see that message all the time on my TiVos when there is a channel outage or SDV is failing to provide the channel.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI

defiant

But, it doesn't apply to the Motorola box the OP has.