Search similar:

uniqs
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

1 edit

Xtreme2damax

Question about new device.

Before I bought a device and set up a month to month account I tried setting up service under contract but Verizon wanted a $400 deposit because my credit isn't good enough.

Now that I have an account with my own device if I try to add a new device are they going to run a credit check again thus still trying to hit me with a $400 deposit?

I'm thinking about a new device when caught up on my bill. I don't care about a contract as I'm hesitant to move and there's no other broadband option out here except satellite and 3G. I can't afford to pay for the better devices out of pocket so need it subsidized.

My current device isn't what I thought it would be. It's alright but not that good for gaming and I have the following dissatisfaction with the device..

- Wifi router is poor and chokes.
- Steam server browser crashes connection due to pinging multiple servers.
- No ethernet or usb tethering.
- No support for external antenna.
- Unable to change dns servers from device.
- Wifi and router options aren't robust and very basic.

If Verizon will still hold that $400 deposit against me can someone recommend a device from Amazon that is cheap and can meet my needs without the above issues?

Thanks.

Edit: I notice the device chokes on loading web pages which load slower than they should. Doing a speedtest everything checks out as I range from 9Mbps to 21Mbps at best with low ping. Speaking of ping is it possible to get ping/latency comparable to cable or fiber? Generally ingame and living on the east coast my ping is around 60ms to 80ms to east coast servers. On fiber/cable ping was 15ms - 25ms (fiber) and around 40ms on cable.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Cellular wireless will not achieve the low pings of fiber or coaxial. The WiFi hotspots provided by cellular carriers are not very good. Better to get a cellular modem that has an external antenna port and use a Cradlepoint WiFi router or similar quality device.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

For some reason now I feel like this is deja vu.

Ah well, a mod can merge it if they wish or it can be disregarded if was asked and suggestions already given.

Well at least pings aren't too bad, beats 3G or satellite and besides the low caps is somewhat comparable to cable. I have to wonder if my device is inflating my actual ping due to being a poor device, poor wifi and lack of support for tethering?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

The factors you cite are only a minor portion of the problem. Cellular is not going to give you low ping times. You cannot wish away the laws of physics just because you do not like how they work.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Well I wasn't expecting miracles except maybe slight variation. My lowest has been 39ms to 40ms but ingame that jumps even higher. I see a server in the server browser that I ping low to but when joining ping is like 20ms to 30ms higher than on the server browser. Even the slightest reduction of ping I'd be happy with.