spc
Search similar:

uniqs
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

Antenna tuning MFJ-986

I have an MFJ-986 roller inductor tuner and I lost the original manual to it.

Part of the instructions are to roll the inductor for best reception before you transmit and then do all the fine tuning. What I want to try is hooking up an MFJ-269 and make a chart of where the roller inductor should start at for each band.

Does this sound feasible?

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

alphapointe

MVM

I have the same tuner:
»www.mfjenterprises.com/D ··· pany=mfj

I find tuning is different for everyone (antenna, rig, coax, etc.). I have a hybrid rig (Kenwood TS520), and find it easiest to tune the radio into a dummy load first, per its' procedures, then tune per MFJ, then tweak the radio if needed. I only have antennas to work 20 and 40, so I don't have much tuning to do...
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

Looks like my idea of taking an MFJ 269 antenna analyzer to tune an antenna tuner is feasible.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· R5nsq4DU

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium Member
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

SmokChsr

Premium Member

If you have an antenna analyzer, you can use it to set up a tuning chart for anything you can tune the antenna to, as long as you are using the same antenna, and nothing changes.
SmokChsr

SmokChsr to moonpuppy

Premium Member

to moonpuppy
After watching the video, I would not put a great deal of confidence in his explanation. That's a Hi Pass T match, when I tune them I look for totally different criteria. first of all I'm not looking to get the least amount of reactance in the shut, as he said. (keep in mind when I do it it's for one frequency and high power {broadcast station}). For most matches I'll want lag about 90 deg over the T match, and remove the reactance from the antenna, and then perform the matching. Of course with a pre-configured tuner its more interesting especially if you have a capacitive antenna, it's sort of hard to neutralize that with a capacitor.