spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

DLow

SSD causing high cpu temps?

Those are my current specs yesterday i installed a Samsung 840 pro but ever since the install every time i start running a few applications my cpu temp will jump to 140-150F

Any ideas what could be causing this issue ?

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

said by DLow:

cpu temp will jump to 140-150F

Which is not un-normal.

Are you saying it didn't do this before? or you didn't check/look at this before?

DLow
Waxahachie, TX

DLow

Sorry for the confusion, I am saying it never did this before as far as randomly jumping up to 150/160f and staying there for a few minutes. Its always ran 120/130f under load

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater

MVM

Unless you blocked some ventilation passage/area with the SSD or you bumped the heatsink on the CPU.

The picture above shows 123F, was that at idle?

Before the SSD what was the idle temp?

DLow
Waxahachie, TX

DLow

123 was basically idle before it would idle about the same 120ish. But before with load highest i would ever see was 137f

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to DLow

Premium Member

to DLow
Do us a favor and switch to metric system.

123 F, for instance, which is your CPU temperature, seems high, but it's only 50 C, which isn't great, but not terrible either, depending on what you are doing.

For instance, here is the run-down for my system, after two hours of gaming (none are cause for concern):

DLow
Waxahachie, TX

DLow

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

What cooler are you running on the 4670K? CPU temps appear moderate if that is at idle.

DLow
Waxahachie, TX

DLow

stock cooler, My case is Thermaltake Armor a30i been looking for one thats decent that will fit height limitation is 90mm i believe

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to DLow

Premium Member

to DLow
Those are the kind of temps you get with using a stock Intel cooler.

Swap that out for something after market and you'll see vastly improved temps.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to DLow

Premium Member

to DLow
I'd recommend a CLC/AIO. Seems like the perfect application for one.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to DLow

Premium Member

to DLow

i7-4770k - stock Intel cooler
Is SpeedStep disabled on your system? On my i7-4770k system, if I use the MSI Overclock Genie on my motherboard then it locks the CPU clock at 4.2 GHz and full voltage. Result? I hear the stock Intel CPU fan running all the time, even when the system is idle.

When I manually setup overclocking AND leave SpeedStep enabled the CPU will still crank up to 4.2 GHz when it needs to, but then drop back to 800 Mhz at much lower voltage when it's idling. Core temps drop and the CPU fan slows to the point of silence. The pic shows what Core Temp reports right now, with the stock Intel cooler.

DLow
Waxahachie, TX

DLow

Ive been watching task manager all morning

[img]»i.imgur.com/7uMAKud.png[\img]

Have not seen it drop all morning so im going to assume its running at full mhz any idea where i should look to disable speedstep ?

I did end up ordering the ZALMAN CNPS8900 Extreme was one of the only coolers that will fit in my case
HarryH3
Premium Member

HarryH3

Premium Member

I'm not sure if Task Manager will show you the actual CPU frequency as it changes. I think it just reports the MAX frequency of the CPU. Try Core Temp, CPU-Z (shows speed, but not temps), or a similar tool that provides more details than Task Mangler provides.

DLow
Waxahachie, TX

DLow

i found speedtest and disabled it also put the cpu on batt mode in the bios and off of max performance

still seems to be running pretty high

HarryH3
Premium Member

HarryH3

Premium Member

Do you see the Core Speed and Multiplier values change? If not, then you'll need to go into the BIOS settings of your system to enable SpeedStep. It isn't controlled by a Windows setting.

DLow
Waxahachie, TX

DLow

So i need to enable speedstep not disable ? it was enabled before

I appreciate all you guys help
DLow

DLow

So i disabled asus multi-core enhancment and the mhz is now fluctuating as it should be and my temps look a lot better @40C with stock cooler and the task manager actually does show the change in mhz
HarryH3
Premium Member

HarryH3

Premium Member

Awesome!

DLow
Waxahachie, TX

DLow

almost a 40f drop in temps and no notice is performance either geeze :|
HarryH3
Premium Member

HarryH3

Premium Member

That's the magic of SpeedStep. It backs off when the CPU is just loafing, then instantly goes full throttle when the CPU needs to get some real work done.