Jim721 to Robert

to Robert

Re: [Connectivity] Signal Levels

Could you put a UPS to power the amp ?

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Tobin

Yes, he could use the power inserter at the same outlet as his cable modem / computers. That way the amp would be powered off the same UPS. It shouldn't cause any issues.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by Tobin:

Yes, he could use the power inserter at the same outlet as his cable modem / computers. That way the amp would be powered off the same UPS.

Tech said he doesn't recommend this because then I'm powering the 'bad' signal as this is where the signal drops where my cable modem is. It's recommended that the 'electrified' outlet be as close to the amp as possible.
Robert

Robert to Jim721

Premium Member

to Jim721
said by Jim721:

Could you put a UPS to power the amp ?

That's my first thought too. I'm going to see if it's something I need to do or not, as I can tether my iPhone to the computer if it's a long period of time that the power is out.

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Tobin to Robert

to Robert
said by Robert:

Tech said he doesn't recommend this because then I'm powering the 'bad' signal as this is where the signal drops where my cable modem is. It's recommended that the 'electrified' outlet be as close to the amp as possible.

Yes, it will do two things...it will split the signal once and also potentially introduce some background noise. The split is the bigger concern. In your case you would be at or around -9dBmV on your downstream and 49dBmV upstream. Both are on the edge of recommended signal levels.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by Tobin:

said by Robert:

Yes, it will do two things...it will split the signal once and also potentially introduce some background noise. The split is the bigger concern in most cases, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Yea, also don't forget that there is already a split to power the power wart. That means I'd have 2 splitters in this room. One for the power to the amp, and then a 2 way splitter for my TV & Cable Modem.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Robert:

No problem. The only thing I am not happy with is that if the power goes out, I lose all cable signal. My modem & router are on a backup UPS, and in the past, when the power went out, the internet stayed on.

Looks like the amp is a CommScope CSAPDU9VP passive VoIP port, unity forward/reverse amplifier: »www.commscope.com/catalo ··· x?id=774

If you can afford losing 4db on the downstream and increasing your upstream Tx power by 4dB in the upstream, you could move the line to your modem from one of the unity gain amplified ports to that passive "-4dB VoIP Out" port.

That port will still pass signals when the amp is unpowered, so that a device that provides telephone/VoIP service, such as an eMTA or a modem used with another VoIP service will still operate during power outages.
said by Robert:

Yeah, also don't forget that there is already a split to power the power wart. That means I'd have 2 splitters in this room. One for the power to the amp, and then a 2 way splitter for my TV & Cable Modem.

That CommScope part is a "Power Inserter," not a splitter, so it does not have the typical 3.5 dB loss, but an "insertion" loss of only about 0.5 to 1dB typically.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

Losing 4db on DS, and adding 4db on upstream would negate the purpose of the amp as it was the amp that lowered by signals by that much to keep the signal within spec. But, knowing what you have said, if I really needed to bypass the amp, I can switch my modem to the VoIP out in time of need and see if I connect.

Should have asked the tech to mark the modem line lol. Now i'll have to go out there tomorrow and keep unplugging until I figure out which one is the modem. At least I know #1 isn't, so that just leaves 4 options haha.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

If you can afford losing 4db on the downstream and increasing your upstream Tx power by 4dB in the upstream, you could move the line to your modem from one of the unity gain amplified ports to that passive "-4dB VoIP Out" port.

said by Robert:

Losing 4db on DS, and adding 4db on upstream would negate the purpose of the amp as it was the amp that lowered by signals by that much to keep the signal within spec.

OK, yeah, I was afraid that was the case.

One other possibility, though, would be to plug that "power wart" for the amp into its own UPS, like this new, small, low-power APC UPS that Amazon currently has listed for $34.99 (with free shipping over $35): »www.amazon.com/APC-Schne ··· 0KH07WRC

It's supposed to provide up to 75 Watts, or last up to 3 hours with a 10 Watt load.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

Haha I was just looking at that UPS. It's next to my cordless phone, which isn't a bad idea to have on a UPS either, since everytime the power goes out, the stupid answering machine loses it's settings.
Robert

Robert

Premium Member

Click for full size
Comcast was out earlier today in my neighborhood and they identified a damaged cable feeding a few of the pedestals.

After fixing the damage, my levels are even better. The tech outside said that the amp is definitely helping, but without the amp, I'd should be the OK range.

Amp is working great, and so far (*crosses fingers*) no outages.