Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kangashkan

join:2013-10-26

Internet drops randomly every day

Click for full size
Click for full size
Read my RFD thread for more info after you read my post below. Second page has a picture of all my wiring, line stats etc.

»forums.redflagdeals.com/internet ··· 1528017/

I have had the Start FTTN 25/10 plan since October 2013 and starting about more than 2 months ago I started having problems. So here's how it all started. One day a long time ago my internet was acting up and wouldn't let me access some websites (and these "some websites" change a lot). Sometimes I could access facebook sometimes it would give me a typical chrome is unable to load webpage error. When I used Hotspot Shield everything was fine. So I called CS and I reset my modem and BAM my internet was permanently down. Had to wait for technician and even after technician came internet wasn't back up. The technician had said the first technician that came to install our internet was bad and messed something up. The next day I reset the modem and the internet magically went back up. At this point everything looked perfect cause no more of that unable to load websites thing. Up until now my internet is dropping. Both the DSL and Internet light on my modem turn off and reconnect. Total process takes about 30 seconds. This happens 1-4 times a day when I am awake. A long time ago after I just noticed the drops I called Start and they replaced my modem for me. Didn't fix anything. Same problem. Weird thing is that all my drops start with "kernel: Line 0: VDSL2 link down" which is the same error I get when unplugging the line part of my POTS splitter. I've had countless calls with Start and they aren't able to fix it. They say they can't send a technician into our home to do inside wiring because they just can't because Bell won't do it since they only test the connection to my home and not inside. If that is so then how did I get a technician inside my house 2 times to install my internet and the other to fix my internet when it was permanently down? I don't know but I would like this annoying drops fixed because I use Skype and VoIP a lot and interruptions like this really are bad. In case you're wondering I use a rented SmartRG SR505N as my modem and a wireless access point. My modem is connected via a phone line to a technician-made jack (since the one that came to install said the others wouldn't work. The wire from under the jack runs through my basement and is stripped. The Red and Green wires then go into the appropriate slot in my POTS splitter. As I said above 2nd page of my RFD post has more info. Hopefully I can get this problem solved! Attatched are 2 logs recent drops that I noticed and that are on this laptop I am typing on right now. Sometimes I ignore saving logs because they look the same. Thanks in advance for the help!

oceros

join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

2 edits
The install would cover service to a jack internally, and also installing a pots splitter. There is a brief warranty on that but otherwise Start cannot ask or expect a bell tech to do anything but confirm service up to the outside or building demarcation point.

From what I read, you've had 2 techs dispatched that just said no problem found?

So that should mean either it's a PITA intermittent problem and the techs just did not find it, OR it's your home wiring (including the wire that runs from the outside demarc into your home).

I'd want to wire a phone jack directly to the wire coming in from the outside demarc, or test right at the demarc outside. Depends on how intermittent/rare the issue is. Can't really test the modem outside for 24 hours etc.

/edit a quicker test would be trying the test jack on that blue pots splitter looking thing that the 2nd tech installed
/edit2 but that would only rule out part of the inside wiring

Kangashkan

said by oceros:

The install would cover service to a jack internally, and also installing a pots splitter. There is a brief warranty on that but otherwise Start cannot ask or expect a bell tech to do anything but confirm service up to the outside or building demarcation point.

From what I read, you've had 2 techs dispatched that just said no problem found?

So that should mean either it's a PITA intermittent problem and the techs just did not find it, OR it's your home wiring (including the wire that runs from the outside demarc into your home).

I'd want to wire a phone jack directly to the wire coming in from the outside demarc, or test right at the demarc outside. Depends on how intermittent/rare the issue is. Can't really test the modem outside for 24 hours etc.

/edit a quicker test would be trying the test jack on that blue pots splitter looking thing that the 2nd tech installed
/edit2 but that would only rule out part of the inside wiring

So... what should I do? I'm an average person and not that good at electrical stuff so I don't want to do all that outside wiring that might make me mess up and have my internet down for good. So first I should test the phone jack of the blue POTS splitter with my modem? That's gonna be a problem because I have my ATA (for VoIP) there, a security camera thing, and my PC that doesn't have a wireless card there. Any way I can get a tech into my house to do this for free? If not then how should I go at this without risking my family's internet because I'm not electrical-savvy. Also would switching to cable fix this problem (like does it use different wires)?

Kangashkan

reply to Kangashkan
Also someone on RFD said that my line stats (which I attached) are weird and I should call Start to get it fixed because my Attenuation is 0 and my Output Power is low. Is that something bad?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
To get to the bottom of it we need to separate the issues, ie you mention in this and other areas about the unable to resolve web sites but then reset the modem and it was fine - from other threads I believe you said you had the modem compromised so that is likely the reason you saw things work with the VPN, however it would be useful to post your software version and the DNS settings to confirm.

So that leaves the VDSL line bounce, however in this and other threads you mention that it's resetting 1-4 times a day, but we see the one reset on the 27th and 30th but it's unclear if those are during testing or happened on their own and the previous one at the start of the month was at 2am and likely maintenance. When trouble-shooting it's important to make sure we have 100% accurate information otherwise we can end up going down the wrong path, ie if this was a line bounce 4 times a day then that's a very very very different potential issue than something that's happened 3 times this month. The signal levels posted have amazing SNR's and doesn't seem to indicate a problem here.

As for having a tech come for free to check things out with the inside wiring, unfortunately not. It sounds like you've made some modifications to connect your ATA (which is not on it's own a bad idea) but if you're unsure if that's done correctly then a local contractor can certainly install a proper jack for the ATA usuablly for under $100 and make sure that it's isolated from your outside line.

One thing that would help would be to keep all the information in this same thread, ie many people here won't bother going to the review site and RFD to piece together parts of it - so if you can post the pictures and confirmed details (being as accurate as possible), along with the software version and DNS pages here it will help form a complete picture and many others from this community will probably be happy to assist.

As suggested in the other thread, personally I'd start with making sure the software is updated via »www.start.ca/files/srupdate and that the DNS is set to automatically obtain as well as ensuring that the remote access from WAN interfaces are disabled - this can very much be the case if you have an exploit that is resetting the connection and changing DNS settings, etc.

Once we have all the information then we can help make some recommendations.

Also, if you PM me your account # that'd be helpful so I can review past trouble-shooting and current line statistics.

Thanks.

Kangashkan

Info

Info2

Click for full size
Drop Today
The VPN issue was a long time ago back before my modem was replaced and everything. I did have my DNS comprised for like a week with my replaced modem quite a long time ago but I figured it out and set it back to automatic. I have attached proof of my DNS and versions and stuff (which I updated yesterday but when I compared the versions it was exactly the same; in other words I was already on the newest version). I can also assure you it's not a maintenance because maintenance doesn't happen every couple of hours. Also btw I just noticed that uptime indicates how long the internet has been up. Using the system log is only for when I actually notice the drops since they seem to clear themselves after a little while. On the picture it says 9h and 45m which is something I've been noticing. The internet doesn't seem to drop in the night very much if at all. I don't even remember a drop in the night. Also internet seems to drop off more on the weekends I think (well at least I notice it more). And about my ATA, did I use it wrong or something. It's just a Cisco SPA112 connected to my modem which it connected to a home phone base station. Nothing is connected to my jacks or anything nor any wiring was modified. I was going to add photos to this thread too to make it easier but I had way too many photos in the other thread and for people who look at both threads I don't want them to waste their time looking at duplicates. If you want me to copy all of my photos over to here I can. My DNS is set to automatically obtain and I don't know where to find remote access from WAN interfaces is. Looked through all the settings and couldn't find it If it is in Advanced Setup > Routing everything there is default. I'm 99.99% sure it's not some kind of modem comprimise because it would have to go through the 100s of resets you guys made me do xD. Also here is a log of a drop today (well technically yesterday when I post this).

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
Thanks for your account # via PM. Can you email me your configuration file (ie via web interface download/save the config and send that) to rocca@start.ca? Thanks.