how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KLehman

@76.4.129.x

Is my At&T phone compatable?

Is my At&T phone compatible?

I am currently using Nettalk (well, when I say using I mean ((trying)). My At&t phone is apparently not compatible with Nettalk Duo. I am thinking of switching to MagicJack but don't want to run into the same problem. Second question is: MagicJack Plus? Is that the one that plugs into the modem instead of the computer, (same as Nettalk Duo) and will my AT&T phone work with it? I am using a netgear modem.

Reticent

join:2008-08-11
USA_PDX

Re: Is my At&T phone compatible?

Check the labeling underneath - what's your R.E.N. (Ringer Equivalence Number)?
Values greater than 1.00 aren't likely to work (won't ring/pick up); even 1.00 is pushing it.
Of course, that's just for ringing ... you may be able use your favorite phone after the call is picked up by a different phone with a (much?) smaller R.E.N.

This applies to either device.

klehman

@76.4.129.x
I don't have a problem with ringing. I can hear person on other side of line fine. They can't hear me well. Other person tells me the line is "garbled". Don't know what ren is...1.0?

Thanks for response though...

Reticent

USA_PDX
Garbled could mean (1) a codec mismatch - at either end - or (2) insufficient bandwidth devoted to outgoing voice. Is that issue consistent with calls to all numbers (1)?

(Your R.E.N. (Ringer Equivalence Number) should be on your phone - handset or base, maybe buried in label small-print underneath, on the bottom or back.)

klehman

@76.4.129.x
Issue is with all calls to all numbers. I do have high speed internet. Do not now about bandwith. I do not have any problems with ringer. And I can hear all calls clearly. I think maybe I just need to get MJPLUS, but still have 6 months left on NT AND I don't want to end up with the same problems on MJ.

Reticent

USA_PDX

2 edits
reply to KLehman

Re: Is my At&T phone compatable?

OK, any broadband bandwidth (DSL(aka "high speed internet")/cable/FIOS/WiFi) should be faster than an "accelerated" land-line modem, and should be sufficient, as long as you're not streaming so much video+ you saturate your pipeline. Similarly, "all calls to all numbers" seems to rule out codec-mismatch. To be thorough, you might verify consistency by hammering some (up/out) speed-tests, and swapping cables.

That leaves a need for tuning your internet settings (unless your ISP is playing games) related to QoS (Quality-of-Service). Netgear router tuning would be beyond my comfort zone.

(This issue would likely affect a magicJack product in the same way as your current dongle.)

Have you checked with NetTalk support?

klehman

@76.4.129.x
I noticed my phone is listed on router as "wired" connection. Shouldn't it be listed as "Wireless" like the others?

Reticent

USA_PDX
For full-disclosure Truth-in-Labeling it should be listed as "VOIP" .... but that might not be received well by legacy systems ... like an old 9-1-1 center.
(Doesn't "wireless" usually imply a cell-phone?)