Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tadpole469

join:2014-08-30
Peyton, CO

[CenturyTel] Upgraded bandwidth - lots disconnect - low speed

Good evening gurus!

I've been Centurylink for over two years at this house. I had a lower DSL speed but a few weeks ago upgraded to 40Mbps down and 20Mbps up.

Since the order was completed, I lose signal multiple times daily, at random times. Speed tests also show I get about 23Mbps down and 18Mbps up. So I'm happy with the up, but not the down.

I check the modem and here's what my stats are:

Normal installation location; filters at all other connections
Trained at 25.152 down 20.124 up
SNR down - 18.8
SNR up - 12.9
LA down - 11.6
LA up - 17.1
Power down - 13.4
Power up - 10.7

Installed at NID / house wiring disconnected
Trained at 25.152 down 20.128 up
SNR down - 25.8
SNR up - 27.7
LA down - 7.3
LA up - 13.2
Power down - 14.1
Power up - 12.0

I'm not sure which way the numbers are supposed to go or what they need to be at. SNR went up when at the NID versus in the house and attenuation went down. Power stayed pretty close.

Is there something I can do, or do these numbers show that I need a tech out to the box that feeds my NID?

Thanks,
Jason

UncleGFather

join:2014-08-10
USA
If you are passing through a set of switches in the Midwest (or you live in the Midwest) They have an routing/load issue. I am unsure if this is related to your issue.

Tadpole469

Peyton, CO
Has that been going on for 2-3 weeks?

I'm in Colorado though.

UncleGFather

USA
This has been going on since July 8th for me (sporadically) Since August 10th it is pretty constant from 3pm- midnight, Sporadically from early as 10:00 am. I've had numerous escalations, which just recently lead their Supervisor Shane, and Network Engineering Supervisor contacting me saying they can reproduce the issue, but they will not fix the issue, If I have complaints about the cost of my service to take it up with billing.

I have sent them Tracert logs for 24 hour periods showing variance, Wireshark logs over 24 hour periods, Pingplotter logs, they sent a tech out who said the Network Engineers have to fix the issue this is at the data center in the mid-west. (They just kept sending techs out earlier then so they could close the ticket out saying it isn't occurring at 8am in the morning EST)

stingray71

join:2014-04-28
reply to Tadpole469
Your numbers improved significantly when you plugged into the NID. Looks like you have some internal wiring issues at the very least.

Higher SNR the better, you doubled yours connecting to the outside. Should see little difference between NID and your internal wiring.

Can you test your connection while connected to the NID for a day to see if you get disconnects?

Tadpole469

Peyton, CO
said by stingray71:

Can you test your connection while connected to the NID for a day to see if you get disconnects?

Not easily. I'd have to go buy some cable and run it into the house and some other things. When I tested at the NID I took the modem and laptop outside and ran an extension cord.

I never had the problem with the lower bandwidth though. Also, I'm still not getting it to train in at 40Mbps down at the NID either.

It's not gone down since I reconnected after testing yesterday, 15hrs so far. But still not at the speeds I paid to upgrade to.

stingray71

join:2014-04-28
When hooked to the NID, it looks like your connection could support 40Mb. They may just have you configured wrong. Call to CS should fix that up. Since reconnect, what are your inside stats now?

gapmn

join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Tadpole469
Once you get your house wiring repaired so that there is no difference between the inside and at the NID, call CL and have them reset your connection. If possible, run cat5/6 from the NID straight to the modem (no other daisy chained connections).

Tadpole469

Peyton, CO
reply to stingray71
said by stingray71:

When hooked to the NID, it looks like your connection could support 40Mb. They may just have you configured wrong. Call to CS should fix that up. Since reconnect, what are your inside stats now?

Trained at 25.152 down 20.124 up
SNR down - 19.2
SNR up - 12.9
LA down - 11.6
LA up - 17.1
Power down - 13.4
Power up - 10.7

No disconnects in 24hrs.

Tadpole469

Peyton, CO
reply to gapmn
said by gapmn:

Once you get your house wiring repaired so that there is no difference between the inside and at the NID, call CL and have them reset your connection. If possible, run cat5/6 from the NID straight to the modem (no other daisy chained connections).

Don't even know what to repair honestly. I have the line from the NID going into a block in a cabinet that splits it out. I'll try connecting at the wiring that goes into the block to see if it's the wiring or the block that's causing the change from NID to inside.

I should still be getting 40 at the NID and I'm not.

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
The software CL uses will automatically reduce your connection speed if it senses your line stats are not optimal for your speed. Thus, you will need to call or chat with CL once you get your wiring straightened out and have them reset your connection speed back to 40/20. Disconnect everything but the wire going to your modem and you should be fine. Do you have CL phone service?

Tadpole469

Peyton, CO
said by gapmn:

The software CL uses will automatically reduce your connection speed if it senses your line stats are not optimal for your speed. Thus, you will need to call or chat with CL once you get your wiring straightened out and have them reset your connection speed back to 40/20. Disconnect everything but the wire going to your modem and you should be fine. Do you have CL phone service?

Yup, kept the same local / long distance through CL.

Tadpole469

Peyton, CO
I'm dreading the call to CL, I expect nothing but "reset your modem", check your cables, etc. Which I've done a bunch, and with multiple modems already.

UncleGFather

USA
The staff that answers the phone I have had to problems with, and their supervisors. It's the Network Engineers that are problematic Tadpole.

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
reply to Tadpole469
Do you now if you have a whole house DSL splitter installed in your NID ?

Tadpole469

Peyton, CO
Not that I am aware of. There's just the wires coming out of it that run into my house and into my WirePath box in the utility room. There they are wired into the block that has 12 ports on it. I have the line coming out from one of those to the modem, a few others are connected to Cat5 cable that run to various spots in the house for phone / internet, and all that are connected have filters on them.

Tadpole469

Peyton, CO
Been up for 1day 14hrs so far. Maybe something was loose.

Numbers still not giving me 40Mbps, so I'll call this week when I can actually be at home and they are taking calls.

SNR
19.2 dB - Down
13.3 dB - Up

Attenuation
11.6 dB - Down
17.1 dB - Up

Power
13.4 dBm - Down
10.7 dBm - Up

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Tadpole469
For opitmal performance on a 40/20 line, you'll want to have a DSL splitter installed in the NID, then run a separate line from the NID to the DSL Modem

It sounds like a lot of extra work, but trust me it will make the world of difference in reliability once you get the "40Mbps at the NID" straightened out, as it sounds like you're going to need a tech anyway to come out.

Tadpole469

Peyton, CO
Been up with no disconnects for 6 days now. So that seems to be resolved. Just need to get my speeds corrected. Been out of town all week, so I've not had a chance to call in to CS.

Tadpole469

Peyton, CO
Update.

So it's odd. The disconnects had stopped and my speed was stuck at 25 down 20 up.

Well, every morning since Sunday, between 3-4am MST, the modem has retrained and the down speed has risen incrementally. Sunday it jumped to 30, a little more on Mon and Tues. Then on Wednesday 40, Thursday 45 and now on Friday it hit 48. So now it's passed the 40 oddly. The time for the retrain doesn't bother me as I'm asleep but it's weird, it's like clockwork almost. I notice though that my SNR is going down with each retrain. I've done nothing since the beginning of the month. Here's what the numbers have declined to while it's been retraining / speed increasing each morning.

SNR
6.5 dB - Down
15.3 dB - Up

The rest of the number are basically the same. So my SNR down keeps declining while the retrain speed keeps increasing.....on it's own. I'm asssuming this is something CenturyLink is doing and it'll balance out at some point???

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
CL's software is going through it's overprovisioning program. It will retraining for a few nights until it reaches its max overprovisioning speed while still maintaining line stability (for 40/20 your max overprovision speed will be 50/20). When you bypassed your house wiring your SNR increased by "7." Therefore, I would run a cat5e cable straight from the NID to your modem. Your SNR should then be around 13.5 after you install the cat5e cable. Optimally, you do not want an SNR below "9" to avoid line errors and retrains.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to Tadpole469
Hi Tadpole469. Joey with CenturyLink here. Your line is definitely doing some interesting things it seems. If we can help look into this please email us at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com with your account information and the details included in this post. Thank you.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com