spc
Search similar:

uniqs
OLDYELLR
join:2003-04-05
Woodstock, ON

OLDYELLR

[Laptop] Acer Orbicam and Windows 7

I have an old Acer 5100 laptop that originally ran Windows Vista. When I got it, the previous owner had installed Windows 7. It has a built-in webcam at the top of the lid that can be rolled to point forward or backward (towards me). How do I get it to work? There are no apps or utilities on the computer pertaining to the camera, so I assume they were wiped with the update to Windows 7. All I can find is Acer Orbicam under devices and under Imaging Devices in Device Manager. I presume I need a Windows 7 driver and a utility for this camera, but I can't find anything that works. All I can find is for Vista. Is there a way, or is this a lost cause?

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

If it is listed in the device manager/printers and devices, then all you need is a program that can access the camera. Windows 8 has this built in, but with Windows 7, you need to download a program. The ones I could find were Yawcam (Yet Another Webcam) and Manycam.

I have never used them, but people on different forums recommend them.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

or could try skype
OLDYELLR
join:2003-04-05
Woodstock, ON

OLDYELLR to Tirael

to Tirael
Thanks, Tirael.

Yawcam works. Oddly, I have a cheap little USB webcam that I can make work on my Win XP desktop PC using the Wizard, but it won't work on the Win 7 laptop. But using Yawcam I can use either Orbitcam or webcam on the laptop.
OLDYELLR

OLDYELLR to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

or could try skype

Now that I see it works with Yawcam, I expect it will work with Skype. I was thinking about installing Skype, but hesitated because I had no idea if this Orbicam even worked with Windows 7.