spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

blue_pots

@50.90.39.x

[Internet] Can't enable wifi on my own SBG6580

I bought an SBG6580 used on amazon.com, and am using Brighthouse in Indianapolis. I went to enable the wireless, and the option to enable it under Wireless-->Primary Network, is greyed out. Customer support said that they aren't controlling the unit, and maybe it's a firmware issue. The firmware version is: SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-01-488-01-NOSH. From searching the web it appears to be a comcast firmware version.

Is the wifi being disabled a firmware problem? Searching the web, it doesn't look like you can download firmware yourself - your ISP has to do it. Can brighthouse update the firmware for me?

Currently I'm just using another router that I already had, but I was hoping to use the 802.11N router in this unit, vs. the separate 802.11g unit I already have. If it's going to be a pain to get this resolved, I might just buy a new wireless router (I'm not satisfied with my 802.11g unit), or return the SBG6580 and buy a separate modem (modem only, like the SB6121) and separate router.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151
What you bought was an MSO version of the 6580 (non-retail) that most likely wasn't the sellers to sell in the first place. Get with me in direct and I will fix it »Bright House Networks Direct

Frankly you should have just bought a new RETAIL 6580...nonetheless will get you fixed up.

GeNomer

join:2013-01-21
Indianapolis, IN
reply to blue_pots
Just in case BHNTechXpert is somehow unable to get it enabled, you might be able to do it through telnet client. I can provide additional instructions if needed, but I imagine Gary should have you covered.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to blue_pots
It can only be done by us and is a special request kind of deal...there has been no response from him.

blue_pots

@50.90.39.x
reply to BHNtechXpert
Thanks, I'll respond on the Brighthouse Networks Direct side.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
Perfect....one we do this it will take 72 hours minimum to happen. It's not something I can do directly needs to go to a specific group and their SLA is 72 hours.

blue_pots

join:2014-08-31
Carmel, IN
I created a new post on the Bright House Networks Direct side with the same title.

Also, since I haven't used this forum before, and wanted to make sure it's legit, I called Bright House tech support to ask if they were familiar with dslreports.com, and they vouched for you

Thanks!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by blue_pots:

I created a new post on the Bright House Networks Direct side with the same title.

Also, since I haven't used this forum before, and wanted to make sure it's legit, I called Bright House tech support to ask if they were familiar with dslreports.com, and they vouched for you

Thanks!

LOL
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~