spc
Search similar:

uniqs

commequidira9
join:2014-08-31

commequidira9

VOIP OOMA / YAK

Hi,

last month I've port my Bell number to Ooma, not to bad, I doing some adjustement and some matter was resolved but rest a little delay when I respond to a receiving call, approximatly 4 sec before the caller hear me.

Have you an idea can doing this delay ? My Telo was installed far of my pc and my Bell intregrated modem/router (I'm am with Bell Fibe 50/50) Ping test is A.

Also, do you think that Yak was better then Ooma ? I think the Ooma server was far of me(I'm in Quebec city), in San francisco ?

Please let me know your idea.

Thanks you

Denis
Expand your moderator at work

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

1 edit

dcurrey

Premium Member

Re: VOIP OOMA / YAK

You are in the right place.

For some reason I was thinking I was on different forum when I read this. I was advising you to post here. I just changed the post to delete since I can't actually remove my bad post.

Sorry for the confusion.

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to commequidira9

to commequidira9
I don't think your 4 second delay is a problem with the distance to the server. The delay to the ooma servers is probably more in the range of a few tens of milliseconds to a couple hundred milliseconds at worst.
I assume you have Bell Sagemcom 2864 modem/router. I don't think that's the problem either because a friend was using that with Bell FTTH (with other voip providers) and he did not have any issues.
Perhaps it's an incompatibility between the Oooma device and the modem. So I think you should ask Ooma's tech support about it because the Ooma ATA is very tightly controlled by them, there's not much you can tweak about it but they can probably run tests on it remotely.
If you have a spare router lying around, you could try installing the Ooma behind that. All Bell modems allow PPPoE pass through. So you could connect the router to one of the LAN ports of the Bell modem, set it to use PPPoE for the WAN connection and enter the PPPoE credentials from Bell, then connect the Ooma box to a LAN port of that router.

commequidira9

commequidira9

Thanks Toro, make sens you said ! And about Yak, have you an opinion about them product ?

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro

I have used yak only some 9+ years ago, a lot has changed since. So I don't have any advice. However there arw many good prviders these days, just check a few threads on this forum if yiu want to find a few names.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to commequidira9

Premium Member

to commequidira9
We have an Ooma Telo. It is directly connected to a DECT cordless base, which is located a few feet away. If you put them too close together, there can be interference. If you use their WiFi adapter, and you also have other WiFi stuff, that can also cause problems.

Anyway, Ooma service seems to work fine even on a really crappy 2mbit download and 600kbit upload ADSL connection ... with an old Linksys E1200 router. I was surprised.

commequidira9

commequidira9

thanks ! Finaly, I switch to VOIP.ms, seems very interresting. They have servers in Montreal, Ontario and many others site. I've sent some questions to Yak, never get answer !

Voip.ms, they gave me a lot of information, good support.