share rss forum feed

bewhole
I Am Here
Premium
join:2000-08-08
East Waterboro, ME
kudos:1

Video cards

I am looking at getting a newer video card then what I have. I have a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 in here right now. (want to upgrade) It is a pci2.0 and thats all I can put on the MB. I am seeing a lot of nice cards but I am also seeing that they have GDDR 3 Memory on them the one I have is GDDR 5 memory. Would that make any difference?? Would they run as good?? Looking to get a 2 gig card.
Thanks.
--
I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned...

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

1 recommendation

5770? What is your processor, memory, what do you intend to run, and do you have a real budget? pci express 2.0 isn't exactly a real limit at this time.

This webpage is updated about once a month with the current trends in best price for the money.
»www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam···107.html

When it comes to upgrading video cards it's very expensive to just to one step up from your last card, so your needs, and budget are a real consideration.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

bewhole
I Am Here
Premium
East Waterboro, ME
reply to bewhole
1: Mb Asus saber tooth 990fx r2.0 rev 1
2: amd fx 4100
3 : Gskill ddr3 10700h (667 MHz) 6Gig

I have a budget of around $150.00 not much over.
Right now I run WOW,Rift and a few smaller ones but I am thinking of running STAR CITIZEN and a few more. I have tried STAR CITIZEN on the card and you can hear the fans "Rev" up and it gets a tad warm so its taxing it.
Thanks.
--
I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned...

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
Here's the problem., you'll have to spend more to make it worth the money, maybe turning down the settings will help if you haven't done that already.
»gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-260X-···-HD-5770

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to bewhole
PCIe 3.0 cards will work in PCIe 2.0 slot. It's backwards and forwards compatible. And likely won't be bottlenecked.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

bewhole
I Am Here
Premium
East Waterboro, ME
reply to bewhole
Did not know that. I do now thanks. I have not been keeping up with video that much so I lost sight of whats out there.
Thanks.
--

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to bewhole
Yes the slower memory typically hinders cards that would be worth considering for gaming vs gddr5. It also sounds like you might be considering cards that aren't really decent gaming cards.

On of the best low power draw sub $150 options is the 750ti (not to be confused with the 750 NON-ti). Without knowing what power supply you have this would the safest suggestion. It would give you roughly twice the frame rates you get now.
If you can give the brand and model of your power supply please do.

Star citizen isn't out yet is it? Under the circumstances I can't give good advice about what will be required to run that well.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
Good suggestion, about half the power of the 260X, and similar performance with no aux 6pin power required. The 750ti also has lower power requirements than the 5770 they are currently using.

Some reviewers have come across games, especially in development which do not have optimized gpu performance. One came across a game that had fps issues even on the nvidia titan which they ranted about at length, however I'm not sure if that applies to this game.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

bewhole
I Am Here
Premium
East Waterboro, ME
reply to bewhole
asdfdfdfdfdf For the Power it is a Corsair TX650. I Can not find the mdl # Think it is on the back side of it.
--

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to bewhole
With that power supply you should be able to run anything you want.

This 265 radeon is faster than the 750ti and is $150 (130 with a rebate). It is essentially an overclocked 7850 if you are familiar with that card.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···-Product

This should give a big boost over the 5770. I'm not sure whether your 4100 cpu will be some hindrance in world of warcraft, depending on the nature of any performance issues there. Still the upgrade should be well worth doing.

bewhole
I Am Here
Premium
East Waterboro, ME
reply to bewhole
OOOH nice card I think that one will be the video card that I get(As soon as I get paid) I have tried to run full blast on WOW but it had some problems rendering that much so I had to tone it down. When I get the card I will try it again. If that don't work I know that the MB will take a larger cpu I think up to a 6 core. But that will be later. Thanks again for all the help.
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
A $150 video card is not high end, and many games can be turned way up. Did you look at the link I gave you? You could possibly get a Radeon R7 265 for a little over $150 to buy the most powerful card you can, and your 650w psu should be fine. Don't expect to turn up games to their max with these kind of cards unless they are older, or were designed for a console system first, where they didn't want the pc version looking much better than the console version.

Most games are not cpu heavy, but going from the fx-4xxx to the fx-6xxx is something you should have done when the system was first built as doing it now is a bigger waste of money to go just one step up again.
--

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
"Most games are not cpu heavy, but going from the fx-4xxx to the fx-6xxx is something you should have done when the system was first built as doing it now is a bigger waste of money to go just one step up again."
--

I would agree with this. When it comes time to replace the cpu you really need to move to a haswell setup(or its replacement) to get the kind of boost you would want for the money spent.