spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jaberi

join:2010-08-13

Nexus 5

it looks great, looking at it...don't know anyone who owns it...i would like to buy it outright if i can, where is the best deal...i think the kiosks are a bit pricier...it comes unlocked, and i was considering either "Koodo" or Virign Mobile" since "Wind sucks if i get anywhere outside of the city limits.

interested to hear all of your views...thanks!

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
I bought one from Koodo last Tuesday. This is my first smartphone, so I don't have any basis for comparison though my section chief also got one to replace his Samsung and he says he's extremely satisfied with it.

The UI is very responsive compared to some older phones I've seen. I only made one call with it and the quality was excellent (I got this mostly for data, like monitoring my surveillance cams and a few other things on the go - I use my VoIP line if I'm at home). Haven't tried the camera yet, though I'll be using it to deposit a cheque tonight or tomorrow. I've seen somewhat negative comments about the camera, though some reviews were later amended to say that a firmware update had taken care of most things they had noticed, so...

It's pretty light - roughly the same weight as my 10-year old Samsung flip-phone.

I'm having some problem with geofencing and Blue Iris (surveillance camera software), but I suspect this has more to do with the software itself. For the past few days I've been focusing more on that than exploring the phone itself.

Oh and it does look great. I showed it to a couple of coworkers and their first reaction was "wow, that's a nice phone!"

I also looked into the iPhone 5S, but the guy at the Apple Store didn't want to sell it to me. That was kind of funny. The Nexus 5 is much cheaper though (only reason I was looking into the iPhone was that I have an iPad, so app purchases would be two-for-one).

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to jaberi
I bought a Nexus 5 right from Google. Love it.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
Also bought mine from Google. Also love it.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
reply to jaberi
Also bought mine direct from google, as did my wife, and two of my co-workers who saw mine and loved it (one ditched a Galaxy S3 and the other ditched a Sony Xperia) - for the price, the features, the reliability, and the absolute lack of bloatware alone I'd pick it over most other phones on the market. The fact it comes factory unlocked and gets the "Nexus" treatment for OS updates just makes it that much more of a no-brainer in my opinion. I had the Nexus 4 previous - my only complaint on it was it had a glass back that made it slide off things all the time. The Nexus 5 has the rubberized back and that problem is gone.

Some people complain about battery life - but I have no issue - even if I forget to charge it one night I can generally get through the second day - albeit a little close for comfort by 6pm on day 2 - down to 8-10% or so. But I'm a pretty heavy user, e-mail checks every 10-15 all day long, maybe 30 minutes of web browsing a day, 100-200 BBM and text messages every day, etc...

Hands down best phone I've owned to date.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
I get about a day of heavy usage out of mine. It's certainly not the Note 2 I had previously as far as battery life goes, but it's a hell of a lot better of a phone. I don't think I've ever been so content and happy with a phone as I have been with the Nexus 5. I'm glad I bought one.

That, and the bright red one I bought and the matching Slim Armour case make it impossible to lose in a house or a car with a two year old that loves to play with things.

MichelR

Ottawa, ON
Glad to hear from people here that this was a good choice. I've been wondering if I should return it to Koodo for a refund and order one direct from Google (comes to about $100 cheaper). When I first checked they weren't "leaving the warehouse" for 3-4 weeks, and now it's changed to 1-2 days, although it's the white model (I have a black one).

btech805

join:2013-08-01
Greely, ON
kudos:11
reply to jaberi
By it directly from google on the play store, if you plan on buying it outright, this way it is totally unlocked and you are free to move from carriers as you see fit.
--
My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions or wishes of BCE or any of it's subsidiaries.

MichelR

Ottawa, ON
said by btech805:

By it directly from google on the play store, if you plan on buying it outright, this way it is totally unlocked and you are free to move from carriers as you see fit.

It's also cheaper, if you're in no rush to get it (kind of regretting it now, though I did need it before the estimated shipping date listed on Google Play... hate it). Note that the one sold by Koodo (if you have to get it there for some reason) is completely unlocked. They told me it's the only unlocked phone that they sell.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to jaberi
I hope it's still around if the 6 is a Phablet.
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

milnoc

H3B
reply to MichelR
said by MichelR:

When I first checked they weren't "leaving the warehouse" for 3-4 weeks, and now it's changed to 1-2 days, although it's the white model (I have a black one).

I have the white (panda) model. It's actually very nice. Along with the white back, the entire phone's casing is a hard plastic instead of the black model's rubberized plastic.

Here's my mobile cell phone history video which includes both the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=egrJ-PPKZoQ

DSA

join:2013-04-27
Brantford, ON
reply to jaberi
The wireless charger for the 5 is pretty slick, my contract with telus is up in may, will have to check back on that phone.

jaberi

reply to milnoc
the young lady that was showing me the phone at the kiosk, put on a case which costs $40.00 and then asked me to drop it down on the marble floor...i declined, and said you do it...she did drop it down and the phone was in one piece when i picked it up off the floor, no spider web screen or even a single scratch on it...

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to DSA
The Nexus 5 won't be around by May.

jaberi

said by shaner:

The Nexus 5 won't be around by May.

shaner..are you saying you better buy it now, hurry up and get it?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
If you want one unlocked and contract free

MichelR

Ottawa, ON
reply to jaberi
Has anyone tried a wireless charger? I find those small connectors are a bitch to fit a cable in (unlike my iPad 2's larger connector, for example) and I wouldn't want to kill the thing just because I pushed the cable the wrong way.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
I'm not rammy with cables so I've never worried about breaking the connector, but I've still been tempted to try the wireless charger of only so I just need to thrown the phone on my night table and not need to worry about plugging anything in.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to jaberi
I'm saying there's no way the Nexus 5 stays in market for another 9 months until May. Especially when we know:

Motorola is making the next Nexus phone
It will be called the Nexus X
Android L has already been announced

The lifespan of the Nexus 5 is extremely short from here on out
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

milnoc

H3B
So what will the "L" in Android L stand for?

Which treats start with the letter "L"?

Lollipops?

Life-Savers?

Licorice?

Lemon Meringue?

Liquor?

As for the Nexus 5, its days are definitely numbered as it's been released ten months ago. Most manufacturers now release new phone models each and every year. Expect some sales pretty soon at the Google Play Store.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
I'm guessing Lollipop

jaberi

reply to MichelR
said by MichelR:

Has anyone tried a wireless charger? I find those small connectors are a bitch to fit a cable in (unlike my iPad 2's larger connector, for example) and I wouldn't want to kill the thing just because I pushed the cable the wrong way.

i have bought one, and come to find out it was for iphone, dude who took it back said the girl who sold it to me at Walmart hasn't a clue.

i then got another one only to find out the cable doesn't fit....
someone suggested i go to Future Shop or Best buy, and get one...

i first seen them sold at outdoor events, and that is the only place the guy told me he sells them, pretty neat the size of a cigarette lighter...
he wanted $40, the wrong one i was sold was $15.95.

jaberi

reply to MichelR
said by MichelR:

bought another one from Future Shop called "Adreama Portable Power Bank"
»www.adreama.com/products/powerbank

if you scroll down the one i got is PowerBank2800 and it cost me $19.99.

it does not come with cable, i simply use the charger i received with my phone....charging as we speak will update when my phone battery is empty.

jaberi

reply to shaner
the Nexus 5 32GB is still available at google store fro $349.00

when i was at Future Shop they have it for $300.00 if you take pay as you go plan with Koodo....$29@ month.
does it sound like a good deal?

MichelR

Ottawa, ON
What do you get for $29?

jaberi

said by MichelR:

What do you get for $29?

100 - Anytime minutes

Unlimited 5pm evenings and weekends (calls)
Canada wide calling
Unlimited Messaging
Call display and voice mail

pay-per-use data $7.50/50mb applies.

remember there is no unlimited data..you always end up paying for data but the higher plans include more data and reduce it to $5.00

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
I got one... Pretty good phone, even though I flashed it with Cyanogenmod as soon as they had a couple of monthly releases under their belt and no tales of phones blowing up lol I dislike the lack of user-replaceable battery or an SD card slot.

Got the Metrans MWT02 qi-charger, works like a charm. Quiet, no obnoxious bright LED's, keeps the phone topped up and has a large sweet spot. Highly recommended.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

MichelR

Ottawa, ON
reply to jaberi
OK, What I picked was a prepaid base plan ($15 unlimited text) and added a talk booster ($5 - got an extra 100 minutes by registering my credit card for recurring renewal of the base plan) and a $30 1Gb data booster (used about 20Mb so far).

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to FiReSTaRT
Why would you flash it with Cyanogenmod? The Nexus phones have no bloatware, #1 reason to put someone else's ROM in there.
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
said by elwoodblues:

Why would you flash it with Cyanogenmod? The Nexus phones have no bloatware, #1 reason to put someone else's ROM in there.

Maybe he wanted to feel like he was using a OnePlus One and hadn't gotten an invite? I'm certainly curious about OnePlus going forward - low cost, high quality components (screen, processor, camera, etc), Cyanogen Mod OS, "Nexus like" unlocked and first to update - if they mess up the Nexus line and the next version doesn't strike me as "awesome" like the N5 did, I'll probably be buying the next gen OnePlus phone.