how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

[X1-X2] XR5v3 remote is up for sale on comcasts website

the new XR5v3 remote is available on »store.comcast.com/detail.php?p=6···essories and cost $19.99 without shipping. Tax is only applicable to orders shipped to California, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and Virginia.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 edit

[X1-X2] Re: XR5v3 remote is up for sale on comcasts website

said by joejoejeo:

the new XR5v3 remote is available on »store.comcast.com/detail.php?p=6···essories and cost $19.99 without shipping. Tax is only applicable to orders shipped to California, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and Virginia.

Nice find! It first made a brief appearance back in May: »Re: [X1-X2] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

Also, found this new support page on it:

Get to Know the XR2 and XR5 Remote
Updated on August 07, 2014 at 2:37 PM
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···-remote/

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
reply to joejoejeo
Ordered mine, says it will ship on Sep 10th so I assume they are taking preorders for it at this point. Can't wait to get it!

Gerard1234

join:2012-04-03

2 recommendations

reply to joejoejeo
I should get one for free for I pay almost $263.00 a month for service.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:5
reply to joejoejeo

Re: [X1-X2] XR5v3 remote is up for sale on comcasts website

What's the big difference other than an input button?
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

jm101

join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
reply to joejoejeo
When I asked the tech who installed our X1 why the new remote didn't have an input button he said something like Comcast doesn't want you to watch anything else. Should've known that Comcast wanted us to sell us something.

mike31US

join:2013-08-15
Auburn, WA
Haha, Classic!

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN
reply to Gerard1234

Re: [X1-X2] Re: XR5v3 remote is up for sale on comcasts website

On this page »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···3-remote it says,"The XFINITY TV XR5v3 remote is deployed with all Xi3 installations and is intended to replace the XR2 and XR5 remotes for all X1 devices."

So it seems Comcast will not be replacing the xr2 or xr5 soon

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by joejoejeo:

On this page »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···3-remote it says,"The XFINITY TV XR5v3 remote is deployed with all Xi3 installations and is intended to replace the XR2 and XR5 remotes for all X1 devices."

I believe the XR5v3 remote will be supplied with the initial version of the Xi3 box, the "Xi3v1," and then the XR11 remote will be supplied with the final Xi3 version (and XG1s) later on.

See: »Comcast Cable TV FAQ »What is X1 and X2?

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN

1 edit
OK so what is the difference between the XR5v3 remote and the XR11 remote as I thought the XR5v3 was just the XR11 remote but with a little different design?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by joejoejeo:

OK so what is the difference between the XR5v3 remote and the XR11 remote

The XR11 "voice-control-enabled" remote looks very similar to the XR5v3, but it has a blue microphone icon on its top and microphone openings at its bottom.

It will allow you to give vocal commands to the Xi3 and XG1 X1 DVR boxes.

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN
OK so what you are saying is the only difference between thr XR5v3 and XR11 is that the XR11 has voice control and the XR5v3 does not. Am I correct

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by joejoejeo:

OK so what you are saying is the only difference between thr XR5v3 and XR11 is that the XR11 has voice control and the XR5v3 does not. Am I correct

Yes, that's the basic difference from what I've seen.

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN
Ok

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
Here's a picture of the XR11 "voice-control-enabled" remote that I found.

tknex

join:2012-10-03
reply to joejoejeo

My order shipped today. The site now says 2-3 days for shipping.

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN
Yes me too the email about the item being shipped was send to me at 2:15pm eastern time and I called them a few minutes ago and they said it should take 3-7 business days to get to me so its going to be here by the end of next week

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
reply to joejoejeo
yep got the email that mine shipped today as well, woot!

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN
For me the remote is going to be delivered today

Gerard1234

join:2012-04-03
reply to joejoejeo
Too expensive pay enough for cable can not afford another almost 100 dollars for 4 remotes.

clocks11

join:2002-05-06
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to joejoejeo
So does Comcast charge for replacement remotes? I had WOW for over 10 years. Every few years I'd have buttons start going bad. I'd just call/email them, and they would just mail me a new remote free of charge. Does comcast do this? Do they charge for all remotes, or just fancier ones? I think the only remote they have that I'd consider paying money for is the one with Voice commands.

jm101

join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
said by clocks11:

So does Comcast charge for replacement remotes? I had WOW for over 10 years. Every few years I'd have buttons start going bad. I'd just call/email them, and they would just mail me a new remote free of charge. Does comcast do this? Do they charge for all remotes, or just fancier ones? I think the only remote they have that I'd consider paying money for is the one with Voice commands.

I don't think we've been charged by Comcast for a replacement remote. They may charge for shipping though. If you go to a local Comcast Service Center you will most likely be given a new one for free.

Seems like Comcast just charges for fancy remotes.

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to joejoejeo
Got the remote today.

First impressions:

-Really solid feel in the hands. To me, this is how a remot should feel. Very comfortable to hold

-Lots of buttons! I feel like this is a full fledged remote control.

-Input button works! I just haven't figured out how to toggle a different input after hitting put once, other than hitting the input button again but that is not a dealbreaker to me either way.

-As far as general use, ive only had it for like 5 minutes but I can tell it will take a little getting used to. For example, i'm used to the volume buttons being somewhat towards the middle and on this remote, both the channel and volume rockers are towards the top so i have to move my fingers more (again, really picking at straws here, not a huge deal)

-Overall, very impressed. This remote has a very premium look and feel to it and to me, definately is worth the price. TBH, i'd be surprised if Comcast starts handing these out for free with new x1 installs like i recently read (youll know why say that once you have one in your hands)

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to telcodad

Re: [X1-X2] New XR11v2 Voice Remote

The XR11v2 Voice-Activated Remote

Just found this article on a new video/broadband news website, "The Donohue Report":

Comcast voice-activated remote passes FCC tests
By Steve Donohue, The Donohue Report - September 24, 2014
»donohuereport.com/connected-home···cc-test/
quote:
More than 15 months after Comcast CEO Brian Roberts demonstrated a voice-activated remote control at The Cable Show convention, the FCC has cleared a production model of the new device for commercial deployment, according to a recent test report.

The remote will allow subscribers to channel surf by speaking commands such as “watch CNBC,” “find The Voice,” “show me all [Philadelphia] Eagles games,” and “show me all kids movies on HBO,” according to a copy of the user manual attached to the FCC test report.

Comcast plans to begin offering the XR11v2 device – which will be marketed as “Remote with Voice Control” – by the end of the year,” a source told The Donohue Report.

EDIT: The FCC OET Exhibits List page for it: »apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/V···MG3-4350

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
An article now on the Zatz Not Funny! blog site on the XR11v2 remote this morning:

Xfinity Voice Control Remote To Upstage Amazon Fire TV
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - September 29, 2014
»zatznotfunny.com/2014-09/xfinity···fire-tv/

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to joejoejeo

I bought this remote, works great...
However the search button does not work, the light turns green on the remote and it does nothing...

Anyone else?
--

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by SuperNet9:

However the search button does not work, the light turns green on the remote and it does nothing...

Yes, very interesting. The search button only showed up on this XR5v3 remote, and is replaced on the similar, upcoming XR11v2 "Voice Control" remote (see above) by the blue microphone (activation) button.

I imagine Comcast had intended that pressing this button would bring you right to the Search Screen on the X1 platform, but either never coded it, or it will be supported in an upcoming X1 software release.

Are you using it with the X1 platform/UI?

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to SuperNet9
said by SuperNet9:

Anyone else?

Just tried it and it works fine here. BTW, not sure if you know this or not but you can just start keying in the first few letters of a show or movie and it will pop up suggestions on the screen instead of having to press the search button first.

Oh and make sure your remote is paired in RF mode if it isn't already.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by egeek84:

said by SuperNet9:

Just tried it and it works fine here.

OK, well I know you have the X1 platform, so I wonder if SuperNet9 See Profile is using his remote with a non-X1 box then.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
said by telcodad:

said by egeek84:

said by SuperNet9:

Just tried it and it works fine here.

OK, well I know you have the X1 platform, so I wonder if SuperNet9 See Profile is using his remote with a non-X1 box then.

No, I do have the X1..
--