uniqs
docbg
join:2004-03-10
Ancaster, ON

docbg to damir

to damir

Re: hey rocca ...

[Rant start]

This whole campaign just boggles the mind. The ice bucket thing is supposed to simulate what an ALS sufferer experiences 24/7. Why is this simulation suddenly necessary? If we're going to simulate every disease we support, what's the point in maintaining health? Count your blessings you DON'T experience those symptoms. If you want to donate, fine. At least you won't risk giving yourself pneumonia in the process. Why don't we start stomping on people's chests to simulate a heart attack before we donate to the Heart & Stroke foundation? Bet that would go viral.

And don't get me started on organized charities.... Name a disease that's been cured in the past 50 years. So where are those funds going? Uh huh, Wink, wink, nudge.

[Rant end]

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

... still ... rocca was wet, as he said.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

1 edit

rocca to docbg

Premium Member

to docbg
I'm not a huge fan of this campaign either. Of course I was happy to show my support for ALS, as I do for several other charities which I have a personal connection to, but the MLM style of the ice bucket challenge doesn't jive well with my value system of not projecting my personal beliefs onto others.

Often when fundraising you donate because either the cause is directly important to you, or because the person asking is directly involved and they are important to you. This direct link is the passion that drives awareness and support for any particular cause. Unfortunately I think it cheapens the result when you require people who may not be as passionate about a particular cause being the ones responsible for perpetuating its message simply because they were 'nominated'.

I'm glad that awareness was increased at the start of the campaign, but when the news headlines are about how one celebrity has out-challenged another celebrity then it's just become an acronym and that's truly unfortunate.

edit: On the flip side, it's hard to argue with $80m regardless of who's sending the message.
GoRaptors
join:2011-07-22
London, ON

GoRaptors

I concur with this, what *is* the % of funds directed to the actual research though? I read it was 27%? My cousin tonight took me out to Buffalo Wild Wings(wow very awesome & delicious!) and he swears it is/was only 10%? I was nominated but very conflicted as well it seems to be more of a *fad* now then an actual cause So still unsure, I might donate to the London Humane Society instead(it is my sisters bday today and she volunteers there so). Sigh, what to do, what to do....

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

Patrick Stewart does it with class:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ZbIKmuvo

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member