uniqs
share rss forum feed

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

iPad video question

My FIL took a quick video with his iPad and the video was done in portrait mode. When he "shared" it (to an email address), the video on his PC plays in landscape mode (it is sideways, so you need to tilt your head for the proper perspective). I think there is an orientation code in the video, but for some reason, Windows doesn't seem to get it/see it (whatever). He forwarded the email to me (iMac) and it works just fine, but when he plays it on his windows machine, in Windows Media Player, it is sideways. We played it on QuickTime on his Windows laptop and it plays just fine. I tried some settings in Windows Media player but couldn't find anything regarding orientation. In fact, Windows itself seems like a pain to find anything. There is a "Save as" option in QuickTime, but it is greyed out unless you upgrade to Pro (whatever that is).

Any suggestions on how you change the orientation in a Windows Machine for a video shot with an iPad?
--
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. - Winston Churchill

"You wanna be a man? Ima treat you like a man!" - Cleveland Bus Driver

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·voip.ms
He could edit in iMovie then create an MP4. This is an odd issue tho.

You can upgrade to QuickTime, which allows for more options. I can't remember how much iPaid. The Pro version (which is an old version of QuickTime) allows for a lot of following around.

Also Handbrake comes to mind. He could convert movie using Handbrake. Worth a shot since it is free.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

Any suggestions on how you change the orientation in a Windows Machine for a video shot with an iPad?

You will have to edit it. You can use Windows Movie Maker -- it's free. Media player doesn't have a setting for orientation -- everything plays in landscape mode. I think the orientation code is specific to Quicktime but not sure of that.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
ok, i will suggest the Windows Movie Maker option...just seems silly as the video plays fine on Apple products, but Windows makes do all sorts of shit just to get it to play properly.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
said by dirtyjeffer:

just seems silly as the video plays fine on Apple products

Does it play fine with any player on Apple products or only with some viewers such as Quicktime? It sounds like it plays fine on Windows also if you use Quicktime. You can always just install Quicktime on the Windows machine and specify that that file type opens with it.

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

My FIL took a quick video with his iPad and the video was done in portrait mode. When he "shared" it (to an email address), the video on his PC plays in landscape mode (it is sideways, so you need to tilt your head for the proper perspective). I think there is an orientation code in the video, but for some reason, Windows doesn't seem to get it/see it (whatever). He forwarded the email to me (iMac) and it works just fine, but when he plays it on his windows machine, in Windows Media Player, it is sideways. We played it on QuickTime on his Windows laptop and it plays just fine. I tried some settings in Windows Media player but couldn't find anything regarding orientation. In fact, Windows itself seems like a pain to find anything. There is a "Save as" option in QuickTime, but it is greyed out unless you upgrade to Pro (whatever that is).

He'll have to use quicktime to view correctly on windows. I've had this issue for years. You'll also want to associate the apple files with quicktime so that quicktime handles them by default.
--
GuruGuy

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to robbin
said by robbin:

said by dirtyjeffer:

just seems silly as the video plays fine on Apple products

Does it play fine with any player on Apple products or only with some viewers such as Quicktime? It sounds like it plays fine on Windows also if you use Quicktime. You can always just install Quicktime on the Windows machine and specify that that file type opens with it.

he has an iPhone, an iPad and a Windows Laptop...the video was taken with the iPad and plays in the portrait orientation on both devices...when played on the laptop, it plays in landscape (so the video is on its side).
--
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. - Winston Churchill

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to GuruGuy
said by GuruGuy:

He'll have to use quicktime to view correctly on windows. I've had this issue for years. You'll also want to associate the apple files with quicktime so that quicktime handles them by default.

yes, when using QuickTime on the laptop, it plays fine...but when he attaches the video to his email (Outlook) and it is played through Windows Media Player (the default player for Windows), it is on its side...my guess is, most of the "older" people he will forward it to won't have any clue how to play it in another viewer other than simply playing the video as is.
--

MIXZ1

join:2001-01-02
Mexico
Reviews:
·Prodigy Infinitum
reply to dirtyjeffer

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
cool, i forwarded that freemake link...thanks.

MIXZ1

Mexico
You're welcome.

GuruGuy

Atlanta, GA

2 edits
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

cool, i forwarded that freemake link...thanks.

Now after converting it, the problem will be that anyone who receives it and uses iPhone, iPad, or apple computer.....it will play sideways for them.

And fyi - I tried to download it from Firefox and it was blocked stating it may contain virus and/or spyware.

Was able to download using IE and then scanned using ESET and it came up clean.

Not sure why FF blocks the download. Maybe because it appears to also install some questionable items. Toolbar, resets homepage, a "service".
»www.freemake.com/support/

--
GuruGuy

MIXZ1

Mexico
reply to dirtyjeffer
I feel guilty about the freemaker addons. Are the toolbar and homepage change options during installation or are you forced to accept them? If you were forced, than I'll remove it from my recommendation list.

GuruGuy

Atlanta, GA
said by MIXZ1:

I feel guilty about the freemaker addons. Are the toolbar and homepage change options during installation or are you forced to accept them? If you were forced, than I'll remove it from my recommendation list.

I didn't actually install it. I started poking around when I tried to download it and FireFox blocked it. Found that info on their support page. It could be the case that you are prompted on install to accept them.
--
GuruGuy