uniqs
share rss forum feed

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast

Anyone play Lichdom Battlemage?

For some time now I've had my eyes on this game. Fairly sure it is a title that has come out of Steam's green light program(or perhaps early access). But don't quote me on that.

Definitely looks interesting but I'm curious if anyone else has tried it and what their feelings are on this game. Worth the price of admission ($39.99) or does it still need some time to cook in the development oven?

Official website: »lichdom.com/
Steam page: »store.steampowered.com/app/261760/
Lichdom Battlemage forums: »steamcommunity.com/app/261760/discussions/

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
Video on just that subject:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjX4Enc3FYw

TL;DW for the vid is that overall the combat is amazing, and really fun to craft with, but the story is about as deep as a rain puddle and once you get over bringing your enemies down with hellfire, there isn't much left.

This was done at early stages, as admitted in the video, so there could be more stuff added to thicken things up a bit.

The combat did look cool, if not very skyrim...I was going to initially say its an FPS with magic, which is true to an extent, but there are other twists to it that take it from being Duke Nukem in a robe to something a bit cooler. I guess I will have to check it out, at least to see where it stands now.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
reply to TruSm0ke
A been eyeballing this for a while it looks pretty fun.

TruSm0ke

Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
If anyone is interested in this game, I would probably hold off on buying it just yet. It seems that there are many people with issues of the game crashing within the first 5 mins or so. Also, it does not currently support SLI but has plans to release SLI profiles "in the future".

I've tried the game myself and I am experiencing the same issues with the game freezing up after 5-10 mins or so. I would wait to buy until all major issues are resolved.

Turns out the issues I was experiencing with this game were because of issues stemming from my end.

BSOD that states "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" pertains to an unstable CPU overclock. Reducing or restoring CPU to factory settings (use bios) fixed the issues and ceased any further BSOD notifications.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by TruSm0ke:

Also, it does not currently support SLI but has plans to release SLI profiles "in the future".

I currently don't have SLI/CF, are you getting freeze ups with it turned off as well?
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

TruSm0ke

Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
So, as it turned out the issue might have been more on my end than anything specifically with the game itself.

Lately I've been experiencing these BSOD messages from Windows 8.1 referring to a "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR". Now, this particular BSOD error has many other users stumped online as well. It's apparently a more common BSOD notification than I originally thought. Up till the first time I personally encountered it(3-4 months ago), I had never heard or seen this error.

Come to find out the reason for this BSOD (the solution not so easily found) more than likely resides with the CPU. Overclocked CPU's to be more specific. My i5 2500k is and has been overclocked since installing it brand new 2-3 years ago. I never had any issues, until recently, with any sort of instability concerns or what have you.

Long story short... I brought up the bios on PC restart, selected original factory settings, and saved it. Jumped back into the OS, set all GPU settings back accordingly. Because I thought the issue stemmed from my GPU's and/or SLI compatibility issues... I had been messing with the GPU settings and turning on/off different settings. So, I reset bios to factory, re-enabled GPU settings/SLI, and booted up a few games-- mainly, Lichdom Battlemage and Watch Dogs.

Lo and behold Lichdom Battlemage worked like it was suppose to. No more freezing, black screen, BSOD, or complete PC lock up's. It worked/played well and this time for longer than the 5-10 mins I was getting earlier. Watch Dogs... well, that was still playing like Watch Dogs (piss poor like it always has). Watch Dogs is Watch Dogs = a lost case altogether.

Ultimately, it turns out that my stability issues were coming from the CPU overclock.

TruSm0ke

Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
As a quick follow up with regards to the above post...

For cooling, I have the Corsair H60 closed-loop water cooling unit installed for main CPU cooling. I have been satisfied with the H60 and it's performance when it comes to doing it's damn job: COOLING. I also prefer the minimal wiring clutter, the unit's low profile & minimal product design (BIG positive in my book, others may prefer the opposite "flashy, blinking/changing spectrum lighting, etc"), and, of course, most importantly above all else: I love that it works above and beyond initial expectations! It cools the CPU substantially over the stock cooler/heatsink (No big surprise there)

Altogether, the CPU/cooling setup goes like this: Corsair H60 on an Intel Core i5 2500k overclocked successfully* to 4.7GHz. To keep this overclock chugging the CPU required no less than 1.35v-1.40v to maintain stability. When it comes to CPU's and power req., this kind of voltage sits on the higher end (riskier?) of the spectrum for modern day, high performance CPU's in use today.

The 1.40v(usually more than) required to run this Intel core i5 2500k to an OC of 4.7GHz (4.8GHz & 4.9GHz worked splendidly, too!)-- stable mind you, is quite significant voltage getting fed to any modern CPU these days. Yes, 1.4v is on the high end and thus poses significant risks of frying the chip.

I've suggested, for shits and giggles, upping it even further, to say 1.47v or *gasp*1.5v. Most people end up shout expletives, clearing their throats then spitting on the ground or hissing. Many just sternly speak words of extreme caution and warning. Other people break out mumbling legends old incantations (often in different languages-- dead languages), tales of apocalyptic technology devastation & destruction occurring to their friends of friends of whom ended up negatively affecting pets, aunts, uncles, neighbors living 3 doors down. ALL in adverse ways if I apply 1.5v to my CPU. (lol ) This is all a joke btw, if you haven't caught on yet. But it seems that 1.5v for a CPU is a big no-no.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 edit
reply to TruSm0ke
Grabbed the game today after seeing some Youtube footage and it's pretty fun so far. I've been reading a lot of whining about it being too hard on the Steam forums from people that are expecting a straight forward fps style game. The interesting part is that it's less "FPS with magic" than it is crafting the spells that is going to get you out of each encounter alive. As such, the spellcrafting is fairly deep, and there's a lot to read and understand if you really want to maximize your damage. There's not much aiming here so someone looking for a magic-based (edit) shooter fix probably shouldn't apply, although there are elements of that, and the story is nothing too great, but so far it's a lot of fun to concoct these spells and see how they hold up in battle.

EDIT: Just beat the first bosses after a long first stage. Took me a couple tries and I had to re-think my strategy as well as the spells I was carrying. I like that.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

TruSm0ke

Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
After readjusting some of the overclocks on my hardware the game works, looks and plays great.

@bionicRod - The game isn't easy. It can be pretty chaotic and difficult. I've died quite a bit during some parts of the game where you have to defeat waves of enemies at certain of the games "checkpoint" areas. You just need to play around with the upgrade menu to try and maximize your spells for the most output. Whether it's damage, duration, or AOE. I've needed to retool and upgrade many of the spells I had been using in order to make progress through the game.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
said by TruSm0ke:

The game isn't easy.

You're not kidding. I think someone who wants to finish this one is going to spend more time in the menus crafting and whatnot than actually fighting. It's still a lot of fun but it looks like a time sink.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was