Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Halton

join:2014-06-29
Canada
reply to scrampy

Re: [DSL] DSL Outage?

I switched to Teksavvy a couple of weeks ago from Bell and this outage made me second guess my decision but only until I saw the communication that was coming from Teksavvy. As you point out the Teksavvy team was all over this AND telling us what was going on. That was impressive to me too. Not what I was used to!

My suggestion: stop checking out the packages and switch to Teksavvy.

videonerd

join:2007-01-21
reply to digiwth
..aaaand we're back.

Memnoch541

join:2007-11-20
North York, ON
reply to videonerd
Same here in north York and just hangs at connecting

videonerd

join:2007-01-21

1 edit
reply to digiwth
Aww... seriously. Here we go again. 2am... North York, Ontario. Connectivity went down at 2am, PPPoE failed at 2:13am.

Edit: Default Sagemcom Bell login works just fine. WHAT IS BELL DOING NOW?!!!

Expand your moderator at work

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to scrampy

Re: [DSL] DSL Outage?

Thanks scrampy, the team is still hard at work. They have done an exceptional job so far. Kudos to all of them

I haven't really had the chance to look but haven't heard that others were affected. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

scrampy

@98.158.118.x
reply to TSI Marc
I'm amazed and impressed at how fast the TekSavvy team was on top of this. Watching you both in here, and on Twitter, providing a level of support and information was amazing. I have recently been so glad to have dumped Rogers to move to DSL, only to be rethinking my *choice* of DSL provider today. Unfortunately for me, I'm NOT on TekSavvy. Was the outage that Bell caused for TekSavvy limited only to you, or would other resellers with customers in Ontario have been affected? Obviously, I'm still not back online, and have been relying on your updates to even KNOW there was a problem. I'm checking out your package prices now.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to brianshayne
Great. Weird how sometimes you just discover things that don't appear to make any sense yet there it is. Hehe have a good one.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

brianshayne

join:2013-09-27
Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to TSI Marc
I can never tell with tech stuff here as the building wiring is terrible. When I got set up with you guys, the bell tech couldn't figure out why we couldn't get sync but he could trace the line... He left. Turns out the jack was wired backwards. Right Now I just replaced with a new jack and traced to the building demarc. Came back up, so may have been a bad connection - which is weird because u lost sync near noon I believe, and hadn't touched the jack. Anyway. Synced and authed. All good. Thanks to you and your staff for being super communicative all day.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to brianshayne
Nice. Great.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to brianshayne
Ok try disconnecting everything from the main demarcation point for more than 20 minutes. It's important nothing at all be on there. Then try..
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

brianshayne

Canada
reply to TSI Marc
Ha! And now sync came back. We'll see if it authorizes. That'd be cool

brianshayne

Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to TSI Marc
I even rewired my jack. The support guy on the phone said if I didn't have DSL light. I needed to wait as some places weren't up yet. This call was an hour ago, and it was the first thing he asked me when I finally got through. He said he couldn't help unless it was on.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to HiVolt
Thanks HiVolt hehe beat me to it.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to brianshayne
No sync would be an unrelated issue unfortunately. Maybe try removing everything from the main demarcation point of your home and plugging your modem directly in there.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to brianshayne
said by brianshayne:

Still no sync. Have tried long power cycles and full factory resets. Little frustrating as need connection for work.

Kingston Ontario. TPLink TD-8616

No sync has nothing to do with this particular outage. Are you sure your DSL light is out on your modem?
--

brianshayne

Canada
reply to digiwth
Still no sync. Have tried long power cycles and full factory resets. Little frustrating as need connection for work.

Kingston Ontario. TPLink TD-8616

Halton

join:2014-06-29
Canada
reply to TSI Marc
I migrated to Teksavvy a couple of weeks ago and the first thought that went through my mind when my internet went down was...hmmm I wonder if switching was a good idea.

Then I read and was mightily impressed.

First and foremost, Teksavvy did not treat its users like mushrooms. They kept us informed with what was going on constantly. Very impressive. I was used to being treated like a mushroom.

Secondly, there was an incredible camaraderie and helpfulness among the users and Teksavvy staff.

Lastly, I was back up rather quickly, lucky perhaps.

All this convinced me that I had indeed made the right choice to move to Teksavvy.

Kudos to all the Teksavvy staff who were involved in this outage both behind the scenes and on this forum.

TSI Pierre
Baby, Wanna see what 300Gigs looks like?
Premium
join:2011-09-23
Chatham, ON
reply to chrisrusaw
Are you able to PM me? We have excessive wait times at the moment. I will get someone to call you
--
TSI Pierre - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Chief Operating Officer

chrisrusaw

@206.47.78.x
reply to TSI Martin
Getting super annoyed now. Powered down router, waited, even restarted lap top then router. Nothin. Spent near to two hours on hold with tech services. Nothin. Still no internet....Still on F@#%*%# hold.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

Juniper is going to have to provide answers for that - TSI had no reason to expect their Juniper routers to implode under load. Companies depending on their carrier-grade routers are paying top dollars for them in large part exactly to avoid having to continuously worry about that.

High availability hardware and software aside, if the issue was simply the "thundering herd of sessions" reconnecting after an outage, it may have simply been the consequence of putting too many subscribers on a single processor - while the CPU may be able to handle normal session setups and tear-downs with plenty of horsepower to spare, it may not be able to handle EVERYONE connecting at once. In some LNSs there are session establishment rate limits that can be set, but that in itself requires CPU cycles to process, and depending on the magnitude of the event might still have been problematic.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Goldielover

join:2008-02-29
Toronto, ON
reply to digiwth
Back up finally. It did take me a few minutes to figure out that Bell had mucked up the wireless settings in addition to the log in. My daughter was getting frustrated that I was connected alright, and she couldn't.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to digiwth
BTW, about the recorded message: one of the first questions while going through the voice menus is the CID. How about moving any technical issue notifications up to after the CID prompt to notify customers about all known issues that might be relevant to their account instead of forcing them to go through the rest of the support menu? That would have spared me and everyone else who called 30 seconds each.

Finding my CID made me waste about a minute on the line. It would have been nice to simply have an option to hear all current major outages off-the-bat near the top of the voice menu when there are major cases in progress... that would have spared everyone (who does not know the phone menu and their CID by heart) about two minutes.

Ex.:

P1.: For service in english, press 1
P2: We are currently experiencing high call volume due to issue X. For more information, press '8'
P3: --- normal prompts resume here

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

I dunno. Complex systems are incredibly fragile. I'd definitely like to hear more about it!

I would have to disagree about the fragility here since in large mission-critical systems like carrier-grade routers, a ton of the complexity is about eliminating single-point failures and bottlenecks to make the overall system extremely resilient.

"High Availability" features are supposed to make equipment more reliable but for some reason, it seems like it blew up in TSI's faces instead in this case.

Juniper is going to have to provide answers for that - TSI had no reason to expect their Juniper routers to implode under load. Companies depending on their carrier-grade routers are paying top dollars for them in large part exactly to avoid having to continuously worry about that.

CliqueofOne

join:2003-08-22
Brantford, ON
reply to digiwth
Finally up here in Brantford.

Had to reconfigure the ST546.

Good thing there was a recording about this outage when I used the landline, as I didn't want to wait for a live voice to answer.

And since I have no dial up internet or cell phone to come here and find out about the problem, I would have been USCWAP if there wasn't a recording.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
reply to CanadianISP
said by CanadianISP:

doing this level of upgrade on labour day, when they *know* the loads on the downstream ISPs are going to be massive...

The end goal/hope is that the great unwashed hordes end up thinking "If I was with Bell, this wouldn't be happening" (And, of course, Rogers has been known to do the same)

I'm as paranoid as anybody about this stuff, but I'm not convinced it applies today.

I mean, there are structural issues that accentuate problems. Why is Bell still limiting ISPs to 1GBit/s links? Why is most of TekSavvy's traffic all on one Bell router? And so on. But... I think TekSavvy's network should be able to handle the login traffic. In fact I believe it has been able to at other times--the fire at 151 Front a couple of years ago springs to mind.

I dunno. Complex systems are incredibly fragile. I'd definitely like to hear more about it!
--
electronicsguru.ca

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
reply to CanadianISP
said by CanadianISP:

The level of communication from TSI to the customers/public:

THIS, folks, is How. It. Is. Done. No bull manure, no excuses, no false promises.

Absolutely! It looks like, in the rough sketch sense, a routine bit of maintenance at Bell stimulated an obscure problem with TekSavvy's equipment/configuration with crazily broad implications. At this point it looks like notification from Bell wouldn't have made any difference.

On the technical side, it is impossible for us casuals to separate hindsite from insite--maybe there was an obvious flaw, or maybe the flaw had to be experienced to be noticed. From a business perspective though, this was handled fantastically well.

Thanks guys!
--
electronicsguru.ca

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to pg94au
You may need to go through the setup of the Sagemcom once again.

»help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/artic···-ST-2864

Martin

pg94au

join:2014-09-01
reply to digiwth
I've noticed that, since this morning, my internet connection is operational but almost all of my web requests are being captured by »wgp.bell.ca, asking me to set up my internet service. Oddly, I have noticed that Google, Gmail and walmart.ca are not being captured though, and they remain fully accessible. Additionally, I can still remote desktop to another system connected with Teksavvy that is not affected in any way (from which I'm posting this message).

If I go to my own modem (the Sagemcom model), it shows that I am connected (as I obviously am). I've tried powering off my modem for more than ten minutes earlier today to no effect. Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?

lowping

join:2013-08-04
reply to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by bbiab:

Wouldn't it be something if this could be the straw that made something really change at CRTC. I guess this one was pretty bad eh?

Why would that change anything? Bell routinely reconfigures stuff within their network and that usually causes little to no noticeable issues. Here, Bell upgraded the OS on one of their routers and TSI's routers started tripping all over themselves due to a flood of reconnect attempts.

Aside from Bell omitting the courtesy of giving TSI a warning call (do they have any actual obligation to do that? IIRC, Juniper gear supports live upgrades so Bell may not even have had reasons to expect any significant service disruptions during the process beforehand), it sounds like everything else about this ~10h outage was TSI's problem. (And Juniper's high-availability features having trouble coping with high re-connect request rates... also not Bell's problem.)

TSI has a long history of breaking Juniper gear

And I got to say, IMO juniper case support is horrible!