spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Annon

@68.62.236.x

[Caps] Meter not accurate at month end as shows data in new month?

So I had to reinstall my computer yesterday for various reasons.

Yesterday was the 31st.

I did all my downloads etc, 100's of GB cause updates, games etc.

I turned my computer off at about 10PM EDT.
Today I turned it on and for giggles wanted to see what my usage was for August.
I logged into Comcast.com and it says I have used 30+GB since the 1st in Sept. now?

Today is the 1st and my machine was off the until just now.
All other devices are also off.

This tells me the usage based billing seems to have a major flaw if it thinks I used 30+GB when no equipment was on, or that it has an issue with applying data to the proper month at the end of a month.

Considering that most areas have a cap before we are billed for overage it's unacceptable that the data not be applied in the month it was actually used in when people are trying to stay within the limits and counting on the reset.

Anyone else catch similar ever when they have heavy usage at month end? I know it didn't count the entire 31'st as the 1st but it seems to have counted everything after like 8pm.

tpkatl

join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA
I agree, but for a different reason.

Ny router (Netgear 3500L, running Shibby's Tomato firmware) reports that last month I used 225 gb. Comcast, in its wisdom, shows 240.

Sure, both are under the 300 cap (in place in Atlanta), but why is there a discrepancy of 15 gb?

dangermouse

@69.247.0.x
reply to Annon
I've noticed Comcast picks a random time starting around noon on the final day of the month to reset the usage meter for next month. Sometimes it is around noon, sometimes late in the afternoon and sometimes (rarely) at the start of the new month.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much you can do about it this month. I do my maintenance on all my computers the next to last day of the month to avoid this situation (depending on how close I am to the 300 limit).

Clark Kent

join:2014-07-31
Detroit, MI
Comcast resets the data meter at midnight UTC/GMT time for the whole country so depending on were you live the times can be different. Example: I live in Michigan so my meter resets at 8:00pm on the last day of every month. Any data I use after 8:00pm will count towards the next months usage.

Annon

@68.62.236.x
said by Clark Kent:

Comcast resets the data meter at midnight UTC/GMT time for the whole country so depending on were you live the times can be different. Example: I live in Michigan so my meter resets at 8:00pm on the last day of every month. Any data I use after 8:00pm will count towards the next months usage.

That seems to line up with my usage I think.

It's annoying they do this though. I kind of understand why (to be cheap/lazy/simple) but it's not right. It's bad enough the usage caps don't go by the users billing date.

If you ask me it's just another way they try to screw the users.
My service is considered a month from the middle of one month to the next, but my usage is counted for an actual month. Makes you wonder how they can get away with that in legal terms. My service is for paying day X through day Y but yet you have this overage fee which doesn't follow that. No other usage based services do this...

I think the solution is to ditch the damn meter and usage based billing, cap or whatever you want to call it.

If you're worried about abusive users implement similar to your old policy. Pick a number, say 5TB. If a user exceeds that call them and see if all is well. They claim these caps only effect the top 1% of the users, well my solution I just stated then should only apply to them and the rest of us not worry?

Bahh. anyway, don't want my rant to turn into OT.

Thanks for the info.