spc
uniqs
ryu4000
join:2006-11-18
Picayune, MS

ryu4000 to 78036364

to 78036364

Re: [HSI] No more caps on Oct 1st?

That's the reason i went business sick of getting calls about me using too much bandwidth guess only some areas had caps and others didn't.
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo

That sucks, first person I've heard get that notice. Here I am uploading 32TB or Photos to crashplan as I type this and they don't mind one bit.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by markopoleo:

That sucks, first person I've heard get that notice. Here I am uploading 32TB or Photos to crashplan as I type this and they don't mind one bit.

I hope that was sarcasm.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

said by 78036364:

said by markopoleo:

I hope that was sarcasm.

Happens all the time. People like them are abusing it and should be kicked off. You would think Charter reps. lurk and would see posts like these. Then drop the hammer for being sly about it.
78036364 (banned)
USA

78036364 (banned)

I'm just wondering how one uses 32 TB in a month? You'd have to have a 100 Mbps connection downloading 24/7 to do that
Big Dawg 23
join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23

said by 78036364:

I'm just wondering how one uses 32 TB in a month? You'd have to have a 100 Mbps connection downloading 24/7 to do that

I am with you. How do you use that much data? I don't have that much time to spend on the Internet. I asked the same thing one people complain about a wireless company clamping down on 40GB on grandfathered "unlimited" plans.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to 78036364

to 78036364
He says "Photos" so I presume he's into photography and a bunch of big, high-rez images can build up quick; especially if he's also into video. However, I don't know if even pros upload that much to a server.
howardfine

howardfine to ryu4000

to ryu4000
In 15 years of using Charter residential, I've never had or heard of such a phone call with a family of four heavy users of Netflix and running two businesses. What I've always heard is they're on the look out for the mega downloaders and not people who watch a few movies a day.
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

It's more about how congested your node is. Heavy users do get contacted in congested areas.

Remember most cable systems are usually oversold. If everyone on your node tried to use the 60mbps or 100mbps of bandwidth charter is starting to provide, there's no way everyone would get their speeds (unless charter runs 10gbps fiber backhaul to every node or multiple gbps runs to each node.)
markopoleo
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo to 78036364

to 78036364
Why would you think that? I backup all my data online. That was just photos I do HD movies etc. I did 42gigs last week backup.
markopoleo

markopoleo to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
We are not abusing it when they don't say you can't. %99 of people who get internet don't know about caps anyways. Just like no one reads agreements that pop up in software when you install it.

Charter approach is, as long as its not hurting anyone and they are paying no harm done.

The idea that its "abusing" data is just insane reasoning.
78036364 (banned)
USA

78036364 (banned) to markopoleo

to markopoleo
said by markopoleo:

Why would you think that? I backup all my data online. That was just photos I do HD movies etc. I did 42gigs last week backup.

You didn't say GB you said 32 TB as in TERRAbytes in your other post. It's impossible to UPLOAD 32 TB with Charter.

Also why do you need to back up so much data? How much of it is redundant. Stuff you've backed up 100 times already? I would thin one only need to back up new stuff. That seems more practical and time saving.

lineofsight
join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL

lineofsight

I think he was joking.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to markopoleo

Premium Member

to markopoleo
No. You can sugar coat it and try to justify it all you want. When you are downloading or uploading terabytes worth of data. Its pure abuse and you should be kicked off. You clearly mentioned 32 TB that is beyond excessive. I still cant believe Charter has not kicked you off their network for that. As I said before. You keep on being sly about it on here. Charter does roam the forums. All it takes is to run into the right one I would imagine.
BoMarty
join:2001-02-01
Ballwin, MO

BoMarty to 78036364

to 78036364
said by 78036364:

said by markopoleo:

You didn't say GB you said 32 TB as in TERRAbytes in your other post. It's impossible to UPLOAD 32 TB with Charter.

Also why do you need to back up so much data? How much of it is redundant. Stuff you've backed up 100 times already? I would thin one only need to back up new stuff. That seems more practical and time saving.

BF, it is none of your business on how or what is uploaded in "TB".
No one cares when you are several states away
78036364 (banned)
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by BoMarty:

said by 78036364:

said by markopoleo:

BF, it is none of your business on how or what is uploaded in "TB".
No one cares when you are several states away

I guess I shouldn't care if some guy in California wastes water either. Not trying to tell anyone what do to do. just trying to help. honestly no one asked for your opinion either. So your post is both hypocritical and ironic.
markopoleo
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo to 78036364

to 78036364
32 gb this week, 32TB total. That is not impossible.

Its routine backups, it backs up to crashplan how hard is that to understand.
markopoleo

markopoleo to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
Mmm that is not a lot of data, has no one heard of crashplan before.

I am not the only one here that does that, people host servers, people do all sorts of stuff charter prob does not care for, but they let it slide on purpose because they are getting paid. If you went by every rule of every company they would be out of business.
markopoleo

markopoleo to 78036364

to 78036364
You are stating opinions, that is not helped at all.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight to markopoleo

Premium Member

to markopoleo
You can't host servers unless you're on a business plan. The necessary ports for servers are blocked on residential plans.

Yes I've heard of Crashplan and I actually use it, but I don't use it extensively.
78036364 (banned)
USA

78036364 (banned) to markopoleo

to markopoleo
said by markopoleo:

You are stating opinions, that is not helped at all.

The you don't read very well

dks7
join:2004-05-31
Omak, WA

dks7 to B4Knight

to B4Knight
said by B4Knight:

The necessary ports for servers are blocked on residential plans.

This is true, but depending on the type of server and service your trying to offer, you can change ports. WWW? of coarse not, but IRCD servers are against the AUP but most of them run on misc ports of your choosing. I've ran an ircd for years on a non standard port, not on Charter per se, but thats one type of server that can be ran on any port you choose. Anyone savvy enough to use irc knows how to use a port other than 6667 ect hehe.
Banger
join:2014-07-22
Sturgeon Bay, WI

Banger

You can
said by dks7:

said by B4Knight:

The necessary ports for servers are blocked on residential plans.

This is true, but depending on the type of server and service your trying to offer, you can change ports. WWW? of coarse not, but IRCD servers are against the AUP but most of them run on misc ports of your choosing. I've ran an ircd for years on a non standard port, not on Charter per se, but thats one type of server that can be ran on any port you choose. Anyone savvy enough to use irc knows how to use a port other than 6667 ect hehe.

You can run a httpd on none standard ports same with ftpd. So for personal use you could run them if you cared to do so. I used to run an ftpd on my home connection to transfer from my server to home when I wasn't home.
Mystic95Z
join:2005-05-10
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z to markopoleo

to markopoleo
said by markopoleo:

32 gb this week, 32TB total. That is not impossible.

Its routine backups, it backs up to crashplan how hard is that to understand.

32TB in a month lol. I'll call BS on this too. IF you had a 10mbs upload rate it would take ~326 days non stop to upload 32TB...