PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 edit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Rediscovered: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat

I got into this game this weekend because I was all played out on LoL and BF4. Having never played this game or its earlier incarnations, it's amazing! Perfect combination of open world, survival horror, and twitch FPS. I'd appreciate more RPG attributes, but I guess that is what Fallout is for.

And dang is it tough. I'm playing on a low difficulty level and still had my ass handed to me several times. I suppose now that Gamespy is dead, the only way to play its multiplayer is on a VLAN? It seems like it would be tons of fun in coop mode on a hard setting.

I'm especially impressed how a 4.5 year old game holds up in terms of visuals--DX11 goodies make it look great even if the foliage textures suffer a little.

I'm also amazed how DayZ seems to be simply a multiplayer rip of this game. Very little is different, and seemingly only in terms of aesthetics (and lack of diversity in terms of monsters--STALKER has all sorts of baddies).

Gundy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-29

Gundy

Premium Member

This game is gold. A lot of the mods they have out really help out the game in terms of better gameplay too.

I was going to reinstall it a few months ago when a new mod came out but I couldn't get it installed properly.

I didn't know it had multiplayer though either... the gameplay is pretty solid itself; with a friend it could be pretty sick.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

It works fairly well on Eyefinity (5760x1080) top without any modding, although the UI could use a little work.

Gundy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-29

Gundy to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I can't remember the mod I used, I think it was Stalker COMPLETE which helped revamp the inventory and some other misc items. Even gave some graphical enhancements as well.

I think there was a new one that just recently came out that revamped alot of stuff including quests and actual game play. But it might have been for the original one Stalker shadows of chernobyl.

REALLY wish they would do a new and updated version of the game. Such a great story line and pretty legit quests.

Ratman_84
join:2002-01-31
Sacramento, CA

Ratman_84 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
The first Stalker game was great too.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I agree the stalker series was amazing. It's even more powerful if you watch the Andrei Tarkovsky film around which some of the ideas are loosely based (though the film was made before chernobyl). It was a ukrainian development house that made the series.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Good game is good. Well. Good series is good. I'm partial to Shadow of Chernobyl over Call of Pripyat but both are good. Clear Sky is generally the one to avoid. The STALKER Complete mod set is fantastic and I consider it to be necessary for maximum enjoyment of the series.