Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Security] Why I put up a "No Soliciting" sign

Today (Labor Day) I get a knock on the door from a kid that offers to clean my carpets for free, no uniform and only has one coupon. We politely say No saying we have our own carpet cleaning machine, so he gets pushy, and at the same time we're holding back an 80 lb Alaskan Malamute. See something fishy here. I'm wondering if he's casing the joint looking for burglaries. No company truck, no clipboard, no nothing, just a coupon. And when we tell him to get the hell out of here asks who owns the property, we say she lives out of state so he politely asks for his coupon back. And experience tells me not to let anyone who shows up unannounced in your house because before the unit was sold to the current owner the former tenants next door let some what turned out to be fake real estate agents and buyers who saw the listing in (after we told them we're entitled to 24 hours notice from the landlord) into their unit and shortly after their unit was broken into (which is why I now have a monitored alarm).

In this area you have to take security very seriously. If I want my carpets cleaned I'll call YOU. The carpets are good to be ripped up anyways. Pergo would be nice except on the landlord's dime.

Question, do you see something fishy about this.

And I did hang a no soliciting sign on the door where it's plainly visible.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Good advice.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
It's funny how many morons don't know what "No Soliciting" means.
I have sign with large 3" letters visible from the street, yet I still get the door to door salesmen. I hate them more than telemarketers.
I point to the sign and ask them if they know what it means. 3/4 of the time they say no. I'm sure some of the younger ones really are that stupid, but most just ignore the sign.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy

Re: [Security] Why I put up a "No Soliciting" sign

I have a hand sign with no solicitation on it and underneath explain exactly what it means including churches (we get a lot of that around here). It has turned a lot of way.. others seem to be unable to read.

dean corso
human.exe
join:2007-09-07

dean corso to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Sales people may as well be burglars. They are scum so don't feel bad about treating them like the evil they are.

travis Danyl
@206.47.249.x

1 recommendation

travis Danyl

Anon

thats so werid. i refuse to let people in my home unless they make an appointment with me in advance, and only if they know my number, i also wont give my # out to people at the door. I also dont sign anything right away, i need to see documentation, i will ask for a broshure or pamflet and read it over on my own time comfortably, also check web sites for legitimacy and browse for complaints, check the bbb web site,etc. bascially i do all the proper safeguard methods. I am not affraid to turn people away, no matter how important their visit is and i think most of us are too nice to strangers at the door and we get screwed over. protect yourself.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Could have been the classic.... One knocks at the front door to distract you and the other one is trying get in the back of the place.

I hate door to door solicitations. I used to get JW's trying to give away their watchtower stuff a few times a year. I think I deterred them about 10 years and they haven't been back since. I told them I didn't want a copy, they insisted, so I asked my dog if he wanted it and he grabbed it & started to shred it. Then I slammed the door on them.
Expand your moderator at work

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

You actually answer your door?

With me, no appointment arranged beforehand == I will not be answering the door. They can leave a note if it's important.

/M

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

The landlord has been known to show up to discuss issues on occasion unannounced, sometimes she calls sometimes she visits but it's usually on the weekends (she works during the week). It's nothing bad, just to check in (the rent is paid, I'm keeping up on maintenance and stuff) but sometimes it's to check in on the other tenant. We're good tenants in her book.

But you can't be too careful. Just open the door a few inches until you know whose there. I'd like to install one of those door catches like they have in hotels but I've heard those are useless.

A peephole would be nice but in a duplex situation you have to do it to both sides when you modify the appearance permanently. Door hardware is different, that can be removed and the neighbor asked me to install a keypad lock once she can afford one (she's been locked out more than once).

The area isn't the worst part of town but the scum from the bad areas creeps into our area.
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel to nunya

to nunya

said by nunya:

It's funny how many morons don't know what "No Soliciting" means.

It's funny how many don't know what "No Trespassing" means, even.

I've witnessed several walk past a conspicuous "NO Trespassing" sign next to an open gate. Some people think their presence is so fabulous it can't be considered trespassing.
Mdg
Premium Member
join:2009-01-10
Allentown, PA

Mdg to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
I have a large door mat that says go away, people must not be able to read, they still ring the door bell
Mdg

Mdg to Hellrazor

Premium Member

to Hellrazor

The JW's were here the other day, they have changed their image and after they left I had to look really hard and on the back in small print it said Jehovah witnesses. They have re-branded themselves at the JW now a days .
primeomega
join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI

2 recommendations

primeomega to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Sounds like the classic kirby vacuum sales call. I get them around here once every few months. One time I took them up as we had a sick cat for a while, have to say it did a hell of a job cleaning the carpets.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
You are assuming they will know what "soliciting" means.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya

"Soliciting" is likely not part of their vocabulary. Look who would take a job selling door to door?

I live a bit further out, so door to door sales are pretty rare. I think I have had >10 in 20 years. What I get more are the Bible thumpers pushing their crusades.

Some happened upon me while I was out grilling/drinking. I was polite until they escalated to their third level tier of support. They quickly left.

Now I have found when said folk swing buy, I simply say "keep on movin'", and they actually do.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Mdg

Premium Member

to Mdg

Now the JWs are sending mail to our house with our name on it. And they even sent a letter to our house with the name of my grandmother's deceased husband who never lived at our house.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

5 recommendations

nunya to Aprel

MVM

to Aprel
When I grew up, "No Trespassing" meant you might end up a few ounces of lead heavier.
I've confiscated quite a few deer stands over the last few years from people who apparently cannot read.
They usually try to come up to the house all big and bad with their guns, only to find 5 or 6 guys with bigger badder guns. They usually get real apologetic about then.

About 10 years ago, I confiscated a poachers pickup-up truck too. "Park" and "Parking Brake" don't mean shit to an Oliver Super 88 in low-low gear. I was nice enough to use a log sled most of the way. When he finally popped up the mill road about 2 hours later with blood on his coat, his truck, the Shire Reeve's Deputy, and Game Warden were all waiting. He "forgot" where he stashed his gun, we never did find it. They did find one carcass he abandoned.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

The landlord has been known to show up to discuss issues on occasion unannounced, sometimes she calls sometimes she visits but it's usually on the weekends (she works during the week). It's nothing bad, just to check in (the rent is paid, I'm keeping up on maintenance and stuff) but sometimes it's to check in on the other tenant. We're good tenants in her book.

But you can't be too careful. Just open the door a few inches until you know whose there. I'd like to install one of those door catches like they have in hotels but I've heard those are useless.

A peephole would be nice but in a duplex situation you have to do it to both sides when you modify the appearance permanently. Door hardware is different, that can be removed and the neighbor asked me to install a keypad lock once she can afford one (she's been locked out more than once).

The area isn't the worst part of town but the scum from the bad areas creeps into our area.

Glad i live in California as if the landowner did that s/he would end up behind bars(for trespassing )
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by Anonymous_:

Glad i live in California as if the landowner did that s/he would end up behind bars(for trespassing )

I'm pretty sure landlords even in California can walk up and knock on a door. I believe what you are thinking of is when they "let themselves in the door" without proper notice - violations of such I believe are civil in nature (i.e. non-jail).
85281231 (banned)
join:2014-02-01

85281231 (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
It is amazing you need to tell people this stuff, in areas around here they pose as utility workers and need to check whatever and while the person is busy a partner comes in the house and rips them off.

NEVER ever allow anyone not in uniform and carrying company ID in your yard or in your house, if there is ANY question call the utility using the number on your bill, if the person is real they would have no problem you doing that.
Last year they replaced all the water meters with remote read models, we had to make appointments for the guy to come and install them, and they said that person will be driving a company vehicle, wearing a company uniform with a picture ID, the guy would call when he was on his way, and would NOT come any other time than the appointment time, if we had ANY issues they gave us a number to call.

As far as the "carpet cleaner" goes, ANY company worth anything is NOT going to operate door to door in that fashion, sure there are good companies that have coupons but they are part of a mass mailing and you need to call and make an appointment. Sounds "fishy" to me.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
Yes I answer the door for the UPS guy every so often.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

I live in a "deed restricted" development and the brick marker signs at both entrances say "NO SOLICITING" right on them. That doesn't stop them. We get everything from Jehovah Witnesses and Baptist missionaries to wannabe contractors and other salespeople. I added my own sign at my front door and that stops 90% of them.

I think you did the right thing by adding the sign.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I'm wondering if he's casing the joint looking for burglaries. No company truck, no clipboard, no nothing, just a coupon.

Our local police department says residents should call them immediately in such circumstances. They also say to call them immediately if someone rings your doorbell and no one is there when you answer.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to John97

Premium Member

to John97

said by John97:

I live in a "deed restricted" development and the brick marker signs at both entrances say "NO SOLICITING" right on them. That doesn't stop them. We get everything from Jehovah Witnesses and Baptist missionaries to wannabe contractors and other salespeople. I added my own sign at my front door and that stops 90% of them.

I think you did the right thing by adding the sign.

Ours is gated with manned gates. We haven't had one in the last 10 years that I remember.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya

We used to have severe problems in Georgia with hunters who used dogs. The attitude was they could go anywhere and do anything they wanted. Far more aggressive and brutish than your average stand hunter. The state finally mandated some reforms for hunters who used dogs. The game wardens finally had some real laws they could use. The problem was reduced significantly after the first few prosecutions for violating the laws concerning dog identification, proper notice of the use of dogs for hunting, and requiring that dog using hunters make better efforts to communicate with landowners when certain situations arise.

moaranswers
@69.118.94.x

moaranswers to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
So, you answered the guys questions, asked him none? I guess have no pictures, say no id, etc...

The sign aint gona do shit... being smart when people come to the door will

+1 for the dog and the guy seeing it

-1 for each
Did not get
Persons name
ID
Picture of the person (pull out the phone, snap a picture of him on your door step)
Did not ask about, company, truck, why only 1 coupon
Answered questions about the owner and owners location (that is no ones business)

And you think a sign is gona do anything?

My one neighbor has 2-3-5 idk no soliciting signs... I have none...
In two years of being here, I had a guy trying to sell cable come once... used him 6 months later because I needed him to push the promo though... he was on the phone with the super and everything else... okay worked out for me...
The neighbor on the other side got shit stolen...
and this is a very good area...

My anti theft is, people are normally around, and all night, a 85watt CFL runs out front, that might get changed over to 60 watts of LED lighting, just to save a little more and get more light...

I also just normally don't answer the door... I got a phone, people can call...