spc
Search similar:

uniqs

dns8888
@68.184.19.x

dns8888

Anon

[HSI] Charter DNS Servers (via DHCP)

I just switched to Charter and noticed the list of DNS servers handed to my router is as follows:

DNS 1 8.8.8.8
DNS 2 24.178.162.3
DNS 3 24.247.15.53

Is this accurate? Odd to see Goggles DNS server in that list.

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

DLow

Charter is using 8.8.8.8 since the recent dns outage

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Charter DNS
They are not using them here where I am at.

dns8888
@68.184.19.x

dns8888 to DLow

Anon

to DLow
said by DLow:

Charter is using 8.8.8.8 since the recent dns outage

Interesting. Given the other two caches are several states away, I wonder if I get better CDN geo-location with Google's DNS
tbgeo
join:2003-05-20
Los Angeles, CA

tbgeo to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

They are not using them here where I am at.

Your DNS one and three are the same as my two and three, but dns one on my end is 8.8.8.8.
I know that was clear-as-mud, but I meant to say you're very far from me and we use similar DNS servers, except for 71.9.yada.blah, which is replaced by google.

I read somewhere here a few years back that DNS locations don't matter much; Then Google released a program showing which DNS servers are faster.
I stopped thinking about it, my head was hurting.
*Do* DNS servers matter? I'd think one as heavily travelled as Google's might not be a first choice, but a second or third, but it's been the first DNS choice going on maybe (what) two weeks now.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight to dns8888

Premium Member

to dns8888
When Charter had the DNS outage, I just switched to Google Public DNS until Charters stabilized. Charter never automatically started switching users over to Google DNS, at least not in my area.

24.247.15.53 - Allendale, Michigan
24.217.0.5 - Saint Louis, Missouri
66.189.0.100 - Oxford, Massachusetts

-JD
Double OH 7
join:2009-10-19

Double OH 7

said by B4Knight:

When Charter had the DNS outage, I just switched to Google Public DNS until Charters stabilized. Charter never automatically started switching users over to Google DNS, at least not in my area.

24.247.15.53 - Allendale, Michigan
24.217.0.5 - Saint Louis, Missouri
66.189.0.100 - Oxford, Massachusetts

-JD

Same here... I switched and the Charter dns are still, Charters. I did have an issue this weekend and reset my router, then I noticed my router was trying to push google's dns when I attempted to reestablish a connection; they quickly switched back to Charters tho....

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D to dns8888

MVM

to dns8888
I've noticed that as well the other day. Smart way to help keep call volume down.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to tbgeo

to tbgeo
said by tbgeo:

*Do* DNS servers matter?

Yes. First, location matters. A DNS server closer to you will be faster getting to it and back. Second, whether that server serves the data back to you fast matters. It's one thing to be closer to you, it's another to do it efficiently.

Charter may be closer to you but so might Google. It's an interesting point about high access to their DNS server being slower but Google's in that business so I would assume they know how to handle that and tests I've seen show that to be true.

Google, btw, is not just one location but several spread across the country and around the world. While Charter DNS servers are in my backyard in St. Louis, Google has theirs in Iowa, very close to me electrically speaking.