All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bethy
join:2009-06-17

bethy

[Game] GW2 major patch September 9

If this is not the correct forum, would a moderator mind moving it to the correct forum. No prior post about the upcoming GW2 changes seems mentioned. It's referred to as the September feature pack.

Guild Wars 2 is having a major patch effective September 9. The cost of being a commander is being increased from 100 gold to 300 gold. To compensate for the cost, the commander function will be account wide.

There are many changes in class play, some capabilities are being downgraded others upgraded. Some changes are big, others small. If you want to buy the commander title, it will be a lot less expensive before September 9 than after.

Most affected seem to be mesmers, necromancers, and elementalists. I don't know if links to descriptions of these changes are allowed, but there are many video's and websites describing them.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

It is the correct forum. I think GW2 fell off the map for a lot of forum denizens. The atmosphere was just off a little bit for me--a little too sparkly and the sound was a little too flat--this led to a surreal feeling of constantly breaking immersion. I don't really know how to describe it, but that's what my gut reaction.

I'll have to fire it up again though and see if I can grind out a few more levels--I certainly enjoyed the eye candy.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

It is still a solid MMO for casual play and PvP centric play. PvE continues to be underwhelming and class balances is still a perpetual issue.

But I still think the Engineer is the most fun class I've ever played in an MMO.
clawfury
join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI

clawfury to bethy

to bethy
I was there when the servers opened, and played it a lot the first week. I loved the graphics, the jumping puzzles, and the questing. The combat I found a little sketchy, it was fun, but I had a hard time imagining a raid without the "holy trinity". I stepped into my first dungeon at around lvl 20, if I remember right - and after that, i never logged in again. The dungeons were truly awful. Spell effects everywhere, no tank, so the boss is just running around like a mad man, everyone has minor self heals but if you miss a telegraph you're dead - and it just led to running back and getting back into combat and just mucking around until the boss died. Way too chaotic and un-interesting for me. What worked so well for solo definitely sucked for group, imo.

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5

said by clawfury:

I had a hard time imagining a raid without the "holy trinity". I stepped into my first dungeon at around lvl 20, if I remember right - and after that, i never logged in again. The dungeons were truly awful. Spell effects everywhere, no tank, so the boss is just running around like a mad man, everyone has minor self heals but if you miss a telegraph you're dead - and it just led to running back and getting back into combat and just mucking around until the boss died. Way too chaotic and un-interesting for me. What worked so well for solo definitely sucked for group, imo.

Agreed.

It also looked awful. Too real to be cartoony, too cartoony to be real.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to clawfury

to clawfury
It is possible to have a "tank" and a "healer" in the most basic sense but it is rather chaotic and quite frankly kind of a shit show. To be honest the thing that I hate more than anything the way they handle conditions.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy to bethy

to bethy
I enjoyed GW2 for a while. Definitely worth the money but I lost interest in it.

My favorite toon was a gorgeous female mesmer, wearing thigh high stockings... XD

Ratman_84
join:2002-01-31
Sacramento, CA

Ratman_84 to bethy

to bethy
The original Guild Wars was better. More immersive in my opinion. Way better story.

But GW2 was definitely worth the money. Just got bored to death after a certain point. Never actually finished the main storyline.

Although my main character was a Necro, so I may have to log in and see what changes.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

2 edits

pandora to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

It is possible to have a "tank" and a "healer" in the most basic sense but it is rather chaotic and quite frankly kind of a shit show. To be honest the thing that I hate more than anything the way they handle conditions.

Not the same way you have in World of Warcraft. The play in dungeons and fractals (the closest Guild Wars comes to raids) is centered on co-operative play. To jump in at level 30, as one person did is folly. Most of the time today, someone entering a dungeon or fractal at level 30 would likely be kicked quickly.

I assume the poster who claimed to enter a GW2 dungeon at level 20 meant level 30, as it isn't possible to enter a GW2 dungeon until level 30. If he recalls entering a dungeon at level 20, he wasn't playing GW2. The level 30 dungeon would be the Ascalonian Catacombs. Upon first entrance to any GW2 dungeon, you enter in story mode (with some exceptions an explorable mode player can invite a noob).

At level 30, the trait tree is mostly empty, the gear is mostly blue or green (which is low level gear for weapons or armor), likely the known class specific skill tree is mostly empty as well. When I as a level 80 enter the same dungeon, I will be wearing ascended gear, with ascended weapons, and have full traits and full skills. I'll also be able to use level 80 buffs. While the game will scale my level down to that of the dungeon, I keep the benefits of my traits, skills, and much better armor.

I'm guessing the poster who tried the first week and quit after a single dungeon didn't take time to understand the game.

Warriors who run dungeons or fractals a lot often speck as berserker's (aka zerker). Their goal is to liquefy anything they encounter quickly. As long as melee is possible, this will happen. Fractals are complicated by agony, which may be confusing to a World of Warcraft player.

Generally an all zerker group will kick an unknown player who dies. Unlike World of Warcraft dodging isn't static, but dynamic. Armor helps, but the trinity many love in WoW was avoided by the builders of this game.

For some dungeons and most fractals warriors will welcome a Guardian (also a heavy armor class). Guardians have many skills that help with dungeon or fractal survivability.

Dungeons and fractals are always 5 man. It is important to determine a role within a group and stick to it. Traits (which are similar to talent points in WoW) can be reset at any time when not in combat. Weapons can often be swapped by most classes when in combat, but class specific skills, armor and what not require a player to be out of combat.

Each class has unique healing, tanking and dps skills and traits. This is unlike World of Warcraft. Multiple people assisting a downed player help restore them quickly. A player who is down is dying, but not dead. Downed players are a ton easier and faster to restore than downed players.

Your traits, equipment, and gear determine how well you'll heal someone.

Like any MMO understanding how to play, how to trait, how to equip are important.

Jumping into a dungeon with random people at level 30 is like getting into a level 90 raid at level 55 in WoW. That the poster stopped playing after doing something like this is a benefit to the poster and all who play GW2.

Overall, I'm still at GW2, and enjoying it. I'm glad not to be paying monthly fees. Many prefer WoW or other MMO's, which is great.

The feature pack will be changing some class function, mostly to help round out the classes. In some cases, as in the Necromancer, an unintended scaling of some class specific capabilities occurred which was not intended and caused Necromancers to be overpowered in one of their shape shifted forms. This has been corrected.

The change to mesmers seems to be nearly 40% on some talents, which may have been over powered. My Mesmer build was designed to have the death effects of clones and phantasm's cause damage. As such traits to make them stronger or with more health were avoided. When a mesmer clone or phantasm dies it's death can be traited to release AOE's. A lot of clones, a lot of AOE's, and a well traited mesmer can make a lot of clones, quickly.

My son and I can run most fractals or dungeons with no other players. We have evolved an understanding of them, and have appropriate talents and gear. Players can get orbs which will resurrect them, or repair equipment while in combat. These can be obtained randomly as rewards in the game or purchased with gems at the gem store. In game gold can be used to purchase gems to purchase any item.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

But I still think the Engineer is the most fun class I've ever played in an MMO.

Agreed, loved my GW2 Engineer.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to pandora

to pandora
I've done all the Story Mode Dungeons and most Explorable Mode Dungeons, as well as some Fractals, but nothing super hardcore (because I don't find "end game" PvE in GW2 to be particularly fun). I'm not oblivious to the underlying core mechanics of the game.

I said "in the most basic sense," as in if you run an Engineer you can have your Healing Turret or your Med Kit, your Elixir Gun, Elixir B, Supply Crate etc, and get a lot of boons out on the group as well as group centric healing. Start throwing on some Healing Gear, delve down the Elixir Talent lines, so on and so forth. Are you a healer in way we think of healers due to the Holy Trinity? God no, but you are more of a healer then say the Great Sword 'Zerker Warrior is.

And by the same token you can run the HGH Elixir FT build as an Engineer and be a semi acceptable damage sponge and aggro monster with decent burst and sustained output. Super fun in PvP without being forced into the Condition 'Nade / Bomb builds.

Or (and you probably won't get away with it because other professions do it better and the condition system in the game is garbage) you can go the Condition 'Nade spam build and be a fairly solid straight sustain DPS.

There are tons of other builds, and that is just Engineer. The same goes for the other professions.

But since there isn't a proper Holy Trinity everyone just goes 'Zerker and get mad when people don't stack shit right. What good is needing healing and survivability when, as you mentioned, dodging is dynamic and snot static.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by Adalicia:

But since there isn't a proper Holy Trinity everyone just goes 'Zerker and get mad when people don't stack shit right. What good is needing healing and survivability when, as you mentioned, dodging is dynamic and snot static.

The goal ironically is to understand the game, stacking is a method to try and share damage. Stacking is basic to many in GW2, it is imo overused.

Dodging and avoiding damage are part of the game, having traits, weapons, buffs and skills to heal are also part of the game.

Just about every class in GW2 can sustain itself in dungeons, fractals or PvP. I have seen a mesmer (light armor, aka cloth player in WoW) take on dungeon and fractal bosses using finesse. The glass cannon WoW mage doesn't really exist in GW2, neither does the semi indestructible paladin tank.

Ironically the closest thing to a WoW paladin in GW2 may be the cloth wearing necromancer. Necromancers aren't great at damage, but are real tough to kill. One of the feature pack changes to GW2 is to enable Necromancers to resurrect players when in shadow form.

Many who come from WoW and think GW2 is similar or the same will be disappointed.

The best healer of downed (but not dead) players may be a GW2 ranger pet. GW2 ranger pets heal downed players quickly, and some pets can take a ton of damage.
clawfury
join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI

1 recommendation

clawfury to pandora

to pandora
You are correct, Sir, it was lvl 30. I haven't touched this since the month of launch. I finished the dungeon - and after that, never touched the game again. It wasn't a matter of not having the patience or peserverance, I just found it very unenjoyable. To each their own, however.