uniqs

Noiche
Premium Member
join:2013-06-17
Apo, AP

Noiche

Premium Member

Archeage

Anyone planning to get this? They just released the dares for open beta, jump start, and official launch as all in September. It looks more like a Grundy WoW clone than other games have recently.

On my cell at work, so no links to go with this right now.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

I have given...three (I think) closed beta events a try and yeah, it is basically an Asian WoW with pretty impressive graphics that love them some pop-in. I personally think the game doesn't play particularly well but I do think there are some interesting ideas the game uses competently.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Noiche

to Noiche
What's the pay model on this going to be?

Etula
join:2012-07-28
Burlington, NC

Etula to Noiche

to Noiche
I have played this game since beta 2...and immediately bought the founders pack. This game is sandbox pvp heaven so far with a well organized group. Sea battles to land wars to own turf world pvp and the list goes on. Game is great fun and breath of fresh air. Yes it is a grind to hit lvl 50 but not terrible. Till Star Citizen hits myself and group of friends will be playing it hard. If you like pvp, crafting(amazingly in depth and needed for top end gear) organized world pvp land or sea this game will keep you entertained for many hours/days we shall see if it lasts years.
Etula

Etula to Raible

to Raible
Free to play but you will miss out on too many goodies.

monchis
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09

monchis to Noiche

Premium Member

to Noiche
I believe any Lineage 2 fan will be playing this.

Raible
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Noiche

to Noiche
I sunk a hell of a lot of hours into Lineage II. People have no clue what the definition of "grind" is until they play that game. lol

I may have to check this one out.
ksharp250
join:2010-09-24
Middletown, PA

2 recommendations

ksharp250 to Noiche

to Noiche
My wife and I (both current RIFT players) gave this a whirl. There are quite a few interesting things it had going for it. Some very fresh ideas and takes as far as MMOs go for classes. We do plan to hang around post launch since there is a F2P model. But, I do feel there is a lot more restriction on F2P with this title than most others of its like. A lot of the things my wife and I complained about over the open beta weekend may have more to do with the fact it IS in Beta and not finished patched game version. I have been through a few OB in my time so I know what to expect and warned my wife what she can expect, things like:

1) Dont get attached to character, it is going to be wiped along with all progression
2) UI layout, mini-map and window sizes, location, settings will most likely change. OB is geared towards function not design.
3) Many things about the progression from lvl 1 - 19 (we just missed 20) are subject to change in terms of amount of XP earned, quest helper guides on map, etc as Betas are designed to quickly get you through levels to test gameplay

We understand this. So, with the idea it is beta code in mind, I can offer a couple examples as a Good, Bad, Ugly list for me.

THE GOOD:

- OPEN CLASSES/SKILL TREES. Being able to choose any 3 skill types (Battlerage, Archery, etc) of my choice to gain whatever Class it ends up being is nice. No matter which combination I tried, I was able to damage, heal or tank effectively to my liking within reason. (I never got to be able to solo harder content, balance seemed nice)

- NO CLASS/ARMOR RESTRICTION. Being able to wear whatever armor type I choose for its look (Cloth, Leather, Plate) and receive adequate protections despite my class choice (Leather wearing Warrior tank, plate wearing Mage (Battlemage look) etc) was GREAT! Yes, as a melee tank warrior it would be best to have higher defense of plate rather than wearing cloth, but my base stats and defense NOT being tied too deeply into my gear was very refreshing.

- PARTIAL CREDIT QUEST turn in! I can't tell you how amazing this was. maybe I wanted to move to a new area and decided I dont want to hunt down 15 ants. I only killed 6, but rather than having to abandon the entire quest, I can turn in the quest for some partial coin/xp because I at least progressed some and get rid of it from my log!! Sweet!

- OVERACHEIVE QUEST turn in! Opposite of the above, if I end up killing 3-4 more mobs than what I needed for the quest on my way back to town, I get bonus XP and coin for it!!

- MOUNTS FROM START. Being able to earn a mount right off prior to lvl 10, AND have it grow in speed/XP over time to level alongside you is awesome. The fact you can buy armor and items for it and have it be a combat pet if you choose is just pure bonus

- DEATH RECOVERY. Like most other MMOs, if you die, there is a ressurection penalty/sickness of some form that affects your stats. Similar to RIFT, if you heal at the gravesite with the NPC where you rez at, you get all these cleared. BUT in ADDITION, whatever XP loss/penalty that was incurred from death, can be regained. You dont get the XP defecit eliminated if player rezzed.

THE BAD:

- GRAPHICS/CRYENGINE 3. I list this as bad because not ever PC in my house for all interested players is loaded with 4GB+ RAM on a multithreaded/core CPU with a decent graphics card. While I do like the options of running under either DirectX 9 or 11, I had to turn even the newer PCs in the house down to the lowest graphics setting just to not lag/crash a lot. Granted, its beta so perhaps many crashes/glitches with graphics is due to that. However, the appeal of RIFT, TERA and other newer MMOs is that they can be supported on older PCs.

- OBJECT COLLISION. This REALLY annoyed me. In every game I played, another player running into your character (esp mounted) would generally pass right through you. Here, you get physically slid/bumped a short distance when hit. Because your mount levels/gains XP by being out and ridden, it creates a huge incentive to never dismiss the mount. That would be ok if you pass through me, but when I got 10 ppl all trying to vie for a spot next to the same quest giver NPC for turn in, and physically bumping into me causes me to not just move, but cancels out my conversation turn in, thats a HUGE problem. I could be right in a "cut scene" turn in dialogue and it cancels out before I finish reading/turning in without me hitting anything, because some jack-a-lope riding his deer plowed into me while I was in the midst of talking to the NPC. I hope thats a beta bug.

- ELITE QUESTS. I am on the fence with this, because I LOVED getting into Raid groups for the open world RIFT style quests. But I hated that it wasnt a closed instance type thing and if I was non-grouped with the Raid party, but had my own group of five, I would have to go after the same mobs as the others. And if they are 15/20 into it, then kill the boss, thats it. I have to wait 3 real life hours to try again. And for goodness sake, can we please have a timer kick in once the boss is downed (2 minutes even) to have a chance to kill the remaining mob quota? Because whenever you group, there will always be at least 1 dillhole who doesnt listen, kills the boss right away, and screws the group.

- ROLL FOR LOOT. I hated this. I understand in dungeons, boss battles, Elite boss raids, etc. Sure, ok..give people a chance to roll for something. But being able to kick the group members immediately before they can even roll to leave the spoils all to the group founder/leader is a very bad thing. And even worse, just being in a 2 member group with my wife all day and having to roll for every single mob kill. all the time. for even coins. No. That's a horrible idea, I much prefer the shared loot/money idea among all group members.

- GLIDERS. Maybe I just didn't "get it", but I saw no purpose for these. Yeah ok, go to the highest point you can get to and jump off with a glider does allow you to "fly" from point a to point b anywhere, but with no currents or updraft to keep you going if you tilt glider up is dumb. Plus, my wife and I tested it, and the land speed of a lvl10+ mount keeps up with gliding. We tried going to the same destination town from the approx same distance away, and took turns. I stayed mounted, she glided. Then I rode glider, and she mounted and we both got there almost at the same time, but the land mount seemed to win both times.

- LIMITED BAG SPACE. Maybe just a beta thing, but to only have ONE bag/inventory of 50 slots is severly limiting. Yes you can buy/expand but most MMOs allow multiple bag slots that you as you progress buy larger capacity bags for to increase over time your inventory. Perhaps a small tradeoff was the wharehouse (banker) NPC at damn near every town/spot you stopped at.

- SHARED MOUNT RIDES. At first I loved the idea that I or my wife could hitch a ride with me on the same mount. But this isnt locked out/restricted to your group members. ANY player at ANY TIME can hop on your mount with you. Ok no big deal right? They are stuck until you mount or move, right? Wrong. At least in Beta, they can hop my mount beside me when Im budy and GTA3 that sucker away a good bit. Yes, it does rubber band back at some point, but it did open some interesting griefing over the weekend of bored ppl.

THE UGLY:

- LAUNCH/LOGIN/LOAD TIMES. OMG this was awful! Watching paint dry..from the moment you launch the Glyph application screen, to clicking PLAY and waiting for the ArcheAge leaf load icon to come up, to getting to the server select/character logon was horrendous. I understand and hope it was because its BETA. Because that was bad

- CROP GROWING (CRAFTING). I loved how in depth crafting was designed overall. It was very complex, with taxes for farms/building, etc. But having places publically to plant trees and crops seems like a horrible idea for several reasons:
- ANYONE can come up to your crop you planted publically and harvest or uproot (essentially steal) your stuff
- You can grow plants (esp large in your face trees) ANYWHERE. Inside building even! I cant tell you how many times I went into a major city inside the palace or something to talk to a quest giver NPC only to not be able to see them or the {?} icon because of bushes/trees filling the entire room and view. And when you mouse over them you see the tag (public cherry tree owned by xxxx). Really? You can plant that stuff anywhere?? So many towns were also turned into mazes on my server due to lines of cherry trees and crap. When this launches, the availability and location of public space to grow crap needs changed.

- NO STUCK COMMAND. Again, I realize this was beta. But my character got stuck alot. Falling through walls, floors, trying to scale cliff sides, falling over cliffs into crevaces, etc. I checked Google, forums, etc. Most all other MMOs have soemthing that happens if you enter the command "/stuck". ArcheAge had no command programmed. Logging out/back in put you right back in your stuck location. The ONLY option you had available was to use your recall ability and hope to God you remembered to log a nearby memory book location not too far from where you were questing. I forgot at first until I got the hang of it and ended up crossing continent more than once. The only other option that worked was to hope a mob was abel to aggro you in your stuck location and you let yourself die and rez at the nearest temple.

- F2P RESTRICTIONS. A lot is rumor, some is not. I understand not being able to auction items (bots) to other players. But not being able to craft at all? In any capacity? That seems harsh. And the other rumor of not being able to PvP at all?? Plus non-patrons are rumored to be locked out of some game content/story areas as well. (Again all rumor in some cases, couldnt find "official" word on restrictions).

Overall though, I enjoyed myself with ArcheAge. I think me and the wifey will log some time when this launches in the F2P model. Providing the restrictions are livable. Time and stability patches will tell if this MMO survives the test of time. I dont have expectations of it competing for top dog MMO slot, nor do I feel the designers intended to compete for the top slot per say after playing it. There are alternatives to WoW, and for anyone looking for one of those, this game could offer that without trying to unseat the crown from Blizzard. They dont seem to be trying to, they just seem to be taking this as "here's our fantasy MMO, if you enjoy it, great! play. If you REALLY enjoy it, awesome, how about subscribing as a patron?"

monchis
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09

monchis to Raible

Premium Member

to Raible
I believe I played that game for about 5-6 years.

That MMO was hardcore, I agree the grind was real. I think that is why the game was so great, if you lost something you truly hurt inside lmao.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil to ksharp250

Premium Member

to ksharp250
said by ksharp250:

My wife and I (both current RIFT players) gave this a whirl....

Nice write up, man....great review. Thanks for the info.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to ksharp250

to ksharp250
Thanks for sharing your experience, it was a good read.
ksharp250
Middletown, PA

ksharp250

said by TigerLord:

Thanks for sharing your experience, it was a good read.

Koil/TigerLord

No problem, glad to share. I like to think there are many other players out there in the same situation that we are. It's not that we hate WoW or some of the others. Its a pure financial issue. I am no longer a single guy with only 1 account to pay a single subscription to. I have a wife and teenage step-sons who all enjoy playing some of the same games. So thats at least 5 accounts that would need paid more monthly...and well..$75 a month for 5 accounts is a big bite. So we stick to the F2P model MMOs so its a no cost thing to maintain 5 accounts.

That said, we are not abandoning RIFT per se. We are anxious for the October expansion. But its always nice to have alternatives. The other thing I love about ArcheAge is that it wont quite be the same post-beta experience other MMOs had, the game is already out in a finished form in Korea and Russia. Trion just took the game and re-engineered and translated it for the western US market. The updating/patching should be minimal and for the most part, the beta should have been a more or less finished product. There was just a few things I wrote about that I hoped was not part of the finished model (esp the friggin..bump into you while mounted and push you out of NPC dialogue)

Etula
Burlington, NC

Etula to ksharp250

to ksharp250
Um, some of this is just incorrect:
said by ksharp250:

ANYONE can come up to your crop you planted publicly and harvest or uproot (essentially steal) your stuff

Publicly planted crops cannot be harvested by anyone unless you abandon them. I am assuming you are referring to the "public areas" designated to plant. Not literally the places in the wide open...cause that's like planting roses in the middle of 5th avenue and not expecting someone to come by and take one...really?
said by ksharp250:

NO STUCK COMMAND

There is an unstuck command that portals you to the nearest shrine.
said by ksharp250:

F2P RESTRICTIONS. A lot is rumor, some is not. I understand not being able to auction items (bots) to other players. But not being able to craft at all? In any capacity? That seems harsh. And the other rumor of not being able to PvP at all??

Not sure where this comes from, if you are in a pvp zone and there is no peace timer on, anyone can pvp F2P player or not. You can craft but you will be restricted by your ability for mats, you cannot own houses or large farms. The other huge issue is your ability to generate labor points which you need to craft with so you can but it will suck unless you get labor.
said by ksharp250:

Plus non-patrons are rumored to be locked out of some game content/story areas as well.

Well ya...if your F2P there is content you don't get to...would that not make sense? Shouldn't someone sticking money into the game not get more content more items and more things than F2Ps do? This is always a sticky subject the ability to balance between 2 versions of games will forever not satisfy one side or other.
If you love pvp, a huge rich beautiful world, a very complex and rich crafting system, this game will keep you occupied for a long time. You will probably be stomped on by the paying population they have a huge advantage over F2P but there is still a large enough world to have plenty of fun in.
Etula

Etula to ksharp250

to ksharp250
wow man I just saw the part about the glider....the glider is one of the single most enjoyable things I've ever done in any game.
said by ksharp250:

GLIDERS. Maybe I just didn't "get it", but I saw no purpose for these. Yeah ok, go to the highest point you can get to and jump off with a glider does allow you to "fly" from point a to point b anywhere, but with no currents or updraft to keep you going if you tilt glider up is dumb. Plus, my wife and I tested it, and the land speed of a lvl10+ mount keeps up with gliding. We tried going to the same destination town from the approx same distance away, and took turns. I stayed mounted, she glided. Then I rode glider, and she mounted and we both got there almost at the same time, but the land mount seemed to win both times.

Instead of riding down the side of a mountain at your +10speed I simply jump off a cliff and arrive halfway across a zone while you are still making your 2nd turn down the winding road.

You can jump from ship to ship during battles. Rather than jumping into water and swimming.

You can by-pass entire zones to get to an area by climbing the tallest peak and jumping off.

I've had some of the most epic escapes during heated pvp battles by gliding from ledge to ledge or vice versa tracked down and killed potential escapes. I mean epic fun. There are literally skills that trap you inside "boneyards" or other traps that you can escape by gliding out...
I've skipped a bunch more.
Its flying dude? You don't like flying? You can't figure out a reason to fly? The list goes on and on and on I just touched the surface.
good grief lol.
ksharp250
Middletown, PA

1 recommendation

ksharp250 to Noiche

to Noiche
I was hoping someone with knowledge of the game would be able to clear some things up for me. So with that said, thanks man (Etula) I sincerely appreciate it. If I somehow came off as bashing your game, I apologize. To me some parts of your response came across like I touched a nerve.

A lot of what I experienced in two days is very subjective, I admit, to what I could figure out on my own.

(Crafting/Gardens)
I didn't care that just anyone could come along and dig up something planted in the wide open that someone planted. The only thing that bothered me about being able to plant in the wide open world was depending on placement, how bad it got in your way and in your face (middle of town roads). I was referring specifically to the public garden areas where non farm owners could after a period of time come and uproot crops not their own. It just seems like an open door for abusing the auction house to dig up as many things as you can to resell, whether you did the planting or not

(Gliders)
I tried to admit outright in my view the potential I just may be unfamiliar with their operation and how to best make use of them. The concept is exciting and sound. I just couldnt get the execution to work well and the server I was on may have just been hugely laggy, idk.

Everything else was pure rumor and speculation from the chat channel all weekend from "I played since Alpha" and "My Account in Korea is 3 yrs old ask me anything" people. I always had in the back of my mind that it could be trolls. They just didnt communicate the F2P restrictions very well.

But for the record let me say...my wife and I WILL be rolling characters on this game and give it a good go inbetween our RIFT sessions. I loved my overall exp with ArcheAge way more than any issue I had with it

Etula
Burlington, NC

1 edit

1 recommendation

Etula

LOL, ok I admit my tone was a bit too harsh and I was being "protective" of my game. I didn't catch the fact that you only played it two days....my apologies, mean it.

The issues about planting in the wide open is really about planting in the not wide open. What I mean is there is literally an art and a sort of hide and seek aspect to be able to plant in sneaky areas that people won't find(but they do). Essentially to bypass paying taxes on said property or if you are F2P and not having access to larger properties to plant stuff anyways.

I've played lots of MMO's this is as fresh and exciting a release as I've experienced in a long time. I am in with a large and organized guild that will go a long ways in this game. We will be causing lots of strife and shenanigans and it will be utterly organized and dominant so I'm really pumped.

Again accept my apologies. Enjoy the game. I will be in head start Friday and will go non stop for at least 2 days if not 3 to power level to 50 before release

Peace.
Expand your moderator at work

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Re: Archeage

Oh man I need a coffee proof keyboard now.

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
Dawww.

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast to Noiche

Premium Member

to Noiche
I really wanted to like this game and have been trying to play since Alpha. This game has more holes (bugs) in it than Swiss cheese. As soon as I discovered that the game is FORCED PVP, that pushed me out of it right away as I do not, and will not PVP.

My issues:
Note: Results may very, but all my friends had similar issues.

1. The game will not run in full screen mode, has to run in a window. Full screen only displays a black screen, regardless of resolution, DX version, and video driver installed. I've also reinstall the game numerous times as well as rebuilt the .cfg file and folder.

2. CrossFire support fails. I am using a R9 270 and I only have 15-25 FPS at 1680x1050. If I am lucky enough to get CrossFire working in this game, I get near 60 FPS.

3. Lots of graphic glitches in the game. I'll be walking in the middle of a open field and I will walk into an area and there will be a shadow out of nowhere, when there are no objects nearby.

4. Player housing is a mess. Just a bunch of half built houses randomly placed in specific areas with no organization whatsoever, looks terrible.

Terrible Terrible Terrible as it seems like it could be a pretty sweet game other than the issues and forced PVP.

Etula
Burlington, NC

1 recommendation

Etula

said by MineCoast:

I discovered that the game is FORCED PVP, that pushed me out of it right away as I do not, and will not PVP.

and....that ends this discussion...its pvp...find another game.

Kibbles
Premium Member
join:1999-07-31
Mission Viejo, CA

Kibbles to Noiche

Premium Member

to Noiche
I played the open Beta for a few hours and plan on playing the retail to see if the bugs are worked out as well as how the RMT's are handled.
I have been playing Aion since its Beta and have been looking for another MMORPG with a higher population.

Anyone know what the server capacities are/is..my guess 7-10k...from what I remember in in the OB there were a just a handful of servers.

So far this is the best review of Archaege.
39:30 and 43.35

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· tipph5ho

and the dances..

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· -Fm8lCK0
ksharp250
Middletown, PA

ksharp250 to Etula

to Etula
said by Etula:

LOL, ok I admit my tone was a bit too harsh and I was being "protective" of my game. I didn't catch the fact that you only played it two days....my apologies, mean it.

Dude no worries...the wife and I are pumped to try it out too. In fact..its 1:00 PM EST here so she should be able to get on now and roll her character. I have to work OT today so wont get to do mine until about 7:00 PM

Eumaeus
join:2009-12-10
Seattle, WA

Eumaeus to Noiche

to Noiche
I rolled on Ollo east yesterday. Thankfully most people had headed back to work so I didn't experience the troubles of the weekend that many of the head start people had went through.

Land was totally taken up in the areas that I've passed through so far, but I'm honestly not too worried about it. They opened up two servers yesterday and another two today, so some will likely depart to those servers and let their land claims lapse. I also expect that land will open up over the next month or two as people let their patron status drop off. I think I'll try to find some nice, seculded little spots to do some unprotected farming and hope for the best in the meantime.

Currently playing as a Darkrunner (Shadowplay, Battlerage, Auramancy) - seems to have good damage output and a nice amount of mobility and stunlock potential. Got to level 23 with just a few hours yesterday without really pushing the pace particularly hard.

Noiche
Premium Member
Apo, AP

Noiche

Premium Member

What's the class system like? Does it revolve around the typical tank/heal/DPs trifecta? I admit that the forced PVP will likely keep me out of this game.

Eumaeus
join:2009-12-10
Seattle, WA

Eumaeus to Noiche

to Noiche
The class system is pretty interesting actually. There are 10 skill sets of which you have/combine 3 at a time to form your specific "class" (IE Shadowplay + Battlerage + Auramancy = Darkrunner).

Each class has its own skill tree where that works much like a talent tree in other MMOs. As you level you earn points that you spend in any of the three trees on either active abilities or passive abilities. Of course you don't get nearly enough points to fully fill all of the trees, so you have to choose how to distribute your points. This allows you to decide if you want to be balanced between your skillsets or if you'd prefer to allocate more points to one than the others, for instance.

You also have the option to change not only skills, but which 3 skill sets you've chosen, with ease. Your character level is separate from this and does not go down if you suddenly want to completely change what class you are. I haven't fully learned the mechanism yet, but I believe your skills improve with use, so changing skills/classes selected would only result needing to re-improve skills. Something to that effect, anyway!

The leveling goes very quickly. You definitely can feel that it's set up to get you leveled in a short time frame so that you can fully participate in the sandbox world / PvP.

Raible
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Noiche

to Noiche
Went and downloaded this Tuesday evening to check it out. Crazy queues and couldn't get on. Was off work yesterday and was looking forward to some play time only to find out there was 6 hours of server maintenance for the first half of the entire day. Seriously, the day after launch? Anyway, did get to play a couple hours yesterday afternoon and enjoyed my time I got to play. It's pretty, and it's an.....MMO. Tried to get back on yesterday evening after dinner and again this evening and queue times are ranging in the 3500-5000 people. That's just insane.

Noiche
Premium Member
Apo, AP

Noiche to Eumaeus

Premium Member

to Eumaeus
Hmmm interesting detail of the system.

habya
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
Huntsville, AL

habya to Raible

Premium Member

to Raible
Not much better queues today. Was able to get on this morning for a short while and found it fun. Trying to log back in a couple hours later was 3200 queue....let it go for 1.5 hrs and still couldn't get in.

Tried again now and still over 3000 on most servers. Not sure if patron is better, but guess it's onto other games for now.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to Noiche

Premium Member

to Noiche
It doesn't seem to kick you out of character select, even after a couple hours, just FYI.