All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
adrius
join:2014-09-02
Coquitlam, BC

adrius

[ALL] What method should I use when using a router with Actiontec V1000H?

Hi All,

I'm fairly new when it comes to networking. I've recently been having problems with my V1000H and am picking up an ASUS RT-AC66U to use as my router instead of the V1000H. At first I was looking into using the method of switching the V1000H into bridge mode, but then stumbled on some info that said it's not necessary unless I have Optik TV, which I don't. So then I found out another method which I think is just turning the ASUS into an access point, by DMZ'ing the ASUS on the V1000H, and playing around with some IP and DHCP settings. (source 1, Source 2)

My first question is which method I should use? I'd like to use the one that's more secure, unless the security difference between the two is negligible.

My second question is, could someone provide steps on how to achieve the selected method? Especially when it comes to bridge mode, I can't seem to find clear step by step instructions on how to achieve it.

Thanks a ton!

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Changing the Asus into an Access Point is the better way...

I haven't looked it up, but my RT-N56U had an Access Point mode, so I suspect the RT-AC66U will as well, so you won't need to fiddle with the DHCP settings and IP address.

Having your V1000h bridged is the best way though, which firmware version is it running? Ending in .13?
adrius
Coquitlam, BC

adrius

Would I have to set the Asus to an Access Point AND set the V1000H to bridge mode or one or the other?

The firmware on the V1000H is 31.121L.13. I think it upgraded itself recently because a few days ago it wasn't at the most recent one.
AJ102
join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

AJ102

You have the latest firmware. Telus does not allow customers to put the V1000H into bridge mode any more, and none of the previous admin passwords work with the latest firmware. You could possibly request a different modem since you don't have Optik TV, or wait for the new T1200 since it apparently offers a WAN port.

But in the meantime, you have two choices:

1. Operate the Asus router as a pure Access Point for its WiFi capability, leaving the Actiontec to act as your router. In this case you need to turn off WiFi on the Actiontec and put the Asus in AP mode.

2. Operate the Asus as your router, bypassing the Actiontec as much as possible. To do this:

a) Make sure your Asus is using a LAN IP range that does not conflict with the Actiontec (e.g., if the Actiontec is using 192.168.1.xxx, then set the Asus to use 192.168.0.xxx or something like that).

b) Connect the Asus to a LAN port on the Actiontec.

c) Take note of the MAC address of the Asus, and on the Actiontec set up a DHCP reservation for the Asus so that it will always get the same IP address on the Actiontec.

d) Put the reserved Asus IP address in the DMZ of the Actiontec so that all ports will be forwarded to it.

e) Turn off WiFi on the Actiontec.

Now you can treat the Actiontec as just part of the Telus infrastructure, with all the router duties being handled by your Asus router.
adrius
Coquitlam, BC

adrius

Thanks so much guys, very helpful. If I call Telus to request a different modem is there one you could recommend?

I actually cancelled the order for the ASUS while waiting to hear back here, and because I figured I should call Telus first. So I will either get a new modem from Telus, or go ahead with the ASUS purchase.

I think I like #2 better. I'd want the ASUS to handle the heavy lifting since the V1000H just acts so unstable. Are there any security concerns when DMZ'ing the ASUS IP on the Actiontec?

Cheers!
AJ102
Vancouver, BC

AJ102

No, there should be no additional security concerns.
poopdink9
join:2014-09-13

poopdink9

I've followed this method, and everything is working perfectly except for a few web-based programs I use. I've successfully got port forwarding working outside of the home network, but I am unable to use the DynDNS address when working from inside the home network. The DD-WRT version I'm using on the E3000 router DMZ'd behind the Actiontek is NAT-loopback friendly.

Is there any way that the problem I'm having is related to something going on at the Actiontek's level, not passing back through to the E3000 properly?

Thx

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

kevinds

Premium Member

That issue will be the Actiontec being NAT-loopback friendly, as your DynDNS IP will not be on the DD-WRT router
MmmPancakes
join:2007-05-29
T3H

MmmPancakes to AJ102

to AJ102

said by deleted. Operate the Asus as your router, bypassing the Actiontec as much as possible. To do this:

a) Make sure your Asus is using a LAN IP range that does not conflict with the Actiontec (e.g., if the Actiontec is using 192.168.1.xxx, then set the Asus to use 192.168.0.xxx or something like that).

b) Connect the Asus to a LAN port on the Actiontec.

c) Take note of the MAC address of the Asus, and on the Actiontec set up a DHCP reservation for the Asus so that it will always get the same IP address on the Actiontec.

d) Put the reserved Asus IP address in the DMZ of the Actiontec so that all ports will be forwarded to it.

e) Turn off WiFi on the Actiontec.

Now you can treat the Actiontec as just part of the Telus infrastructure, with all the router duties being handled by your Asus router.

i gave this method a whirl, albeit with a different router (WR-841N) and I managed to assign an IP to the router, connected everything the way it was supposed to but no internet access on the wifi through the tp-link router. I am on the latest firmware like OP so unfortunately no hacked firmware for me.
AJ102
Vancouver, BC

AJ102 to poopdink9

to poopdink9
said by poopdink9:

I am unable to use the DynDNS address when working from inside the home network.

That's right. Unfortunately the Actiontec firmware does not support loop-back to access your own WAN IP address from within the LAN. You can't ping your own IP address either.
AJ102

AJ102 to MmmPancakes

to MmmPancakes
said by MmmPancakes:

i gave this method a whirl, albeit with a different router (WR-841N) and I managed to assign an IP to the router, connected everything the way it was supposed to but no internet access on the wifi through the tp-link router. I am on the latest firmware like OP so unfortunately no hacked firmware for me.

You need to do the usual diagnostics. Is your TP-Link router getting an IP address? Does it use the Actiontec as the gateway? Have you made sure that the LAN IP address ranges of the two routers don't conflict?

For example my router (Linksys) shows on its status page:

Connection Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Internet IP Address: 192.168.1.66 (the reserved IP on the Actiontec)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (the Actiontec's IP address)
DNS 1: 192.168.1.254
DNS 2: 75.153.176.9

And I have my Linksys set to use the address range 192.168.0.x
mr_donk
join:2014-07-24

mr_donk to kevinds

to kevinds
yes, you need to use bridge mode to make it work