spc
Search similar:

uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

Your favorite old school consoles

What were your favorite old school consoles?.
If you would ask me they were Nintendo Game & Watch back in the 80's and Sega Genesis back in the 90's.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

1 recommendation

banditws6

Premium Member

The Sega Master System. As a kid I carried the torch for that thing in opposition to the NES crowd. It retrospect it was a fool's errand, but I had fun with it.

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Mod
join:2002-09-11
Ishpeming, MI

Dejavu

Mod

said by banditws6:

The Sega Master System. As a kid I carried the torch for that thing in opposition to the NES crowd. It retrospect it was a fool's errand, but I had fun with it.

I bought a master system before an NES cause I relaly wanted to play the great RPG's it had.

Phantasy Star, Miracle Warriors an Y's all are some my all time old school classics.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
NES, and Sega Genesis.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
said by banditws6:

I bought a SMS back in the day, it was supposed to come with Hang-On and Astroblaster, or some space shooter, but the system only came with Hang-On built in. Turn the system on with no cartridge, you could play Hang-On. I sent an angry letter to Sega about it and they sent me a copy of the 2-game cart. Neat. I loved Zillion, which was my favorite. Zillion 2 was ok, but not as good. Sadly, my SMS no longer works. I still have the thing, but the video is messed up on it. Never had any of the slot-card games.

Favorite system? Hmm, hard to say, as I liked all of them. Way, way back, I would spend hours playing Utopia with my friend on Intellivision 2.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

said by captokita:

I bought a SMS back in the day, it was supposed to come with Hang-On and Astroblaster, or some space shooter, but the system only came with Hang-On built in.

Astro Warrior was probably the second game. Very basic top-down shooter, but I had a lot of fun with it, trying to see how far I could get. I think my SMS came with it? It was a discrete cartridge like any other game, so maybe it was a separate purchase. I can't remember anymore.

I had the very first year SMS introduced in North America, where the built-in game was a very basic maze sort of a thing. This was before Hang-On came built in, and then later, Alex Kidd.

I was such a huge Sega fan all during the '80s. I didn't get an NES until 1992 and discovered the Nintendo game library that I'd been missing. The Master System had a much better Ghostbusters game, though.

After getting a Genesis and a Super Nintendo, it was the SNES that made me a convert. Just felt like a better system overall than the Genesis, and I remember being particularly taken with the SNES' audio capabilities. The first Star Fox was perhaps the first time my jaw dropped at the sight of a console game (I had been primarily a PC gamer up till that point -- classic Sierra adventures, Sim City, flight and driving sims).

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

said by banditws6:

After getting a Genesis and a Super Nintendo, it was the SNES that made me a convert. Just felt like a better system overall than the Genesis, and I remember being particularly taken with the SNES' audio capabilities.

I never owned an SNES, but my wife's nephew did, and I played TMNT on it with him all the time. I had a Genesis, (actually both, the old clunky one, and the slim one later) then CD (no 32x), then Saturn, then Dreamcast. I guess I was a Sega fanboy, even though I did have an N64, then GC, and then Wii. I agree the audio from the SNES Was far better than the Genesis was. Always sounded tinny to me.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

2 edits

47717768 (banned)

As for my favorite games. They were Mortal Kombat and Super Mario. Funny thing is i did not know how to do Fatalities.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
NES because it was my first.
SNES in the long run because it had some of the most wonderful games.
N64 because it didn't break as often as the PS1 did.
Dreamcast because it opened so much of the world and my eyes in such a way that I was not prepared for.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

Genesis and N64.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Dreamcast. Great old school games(especially RPGs, my favorite) with graphics that were unreal to me at the time. Can be emulated very well. Even when it couldn't, trying the Japanese games they don't share here was no problem at all as there was no region lock or copy protection. Sega made a hit that was a unfortunate victim of its flops. Sad because the games show they really did try with this one, unlike consoles of the past. It's like the boy who cried wolf one too many times.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
The original NES blew me (and everyone else) away after the Atari of course. After that I have the fondest memories of the SNES and the Genesis.

Vic Mackey
join:2003-01-08
Aurora, CO

Vic Mackey to 47717768

to 47717768
I had the most fun with the Sega Genesis with games like Mortal Kombat

N64 is a close second because of Golden Eye.

Jehu
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
MA

Jehu to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
The one that had "Night Trap"

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

Sega CD?

I had one of those. Thought disc-based games were gonna be the next wave. I was right, just not from that console...
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned) to Jehu

to Jehu
said by Jehu:

The one that had "Night Trap"

Are you talking about this game »www.imdb.com/title/tt0105000/ ?

WOW. Dana Plato »www.imdb.com/name/nm0686 ··· v_bth_nm have had very hard time in life.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

captokita to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
said by banditws6:

Sega CD?

I had one of those. Thought disc-based games were gonna be the next wave. I was right, just not from that console...

Hey now, SegaCD had some pretty great games on it, Spiderman (Mr. Big OP!), both Lunar games, Dark Wizard, other great RPGs. The corny video ones though, kinda lacked. I do have Night Trap, and remember the controversy over that game at the time, and stores refused to sell it. For the time though, it was pretty neat. I have a paper with the game I wrote with all the time codes marked on it for catching the bad guys.

Time Gal cheat: Pause the game, press C and you skip to the next level. =) You can essentially skip through the entire game.

Polonium9
I'm not a big fan of Bagels
join:2014-06-17
Leesburg, FL

Polonium9 to 47717768

to 47717768
obviously you have never played the best gaming system in the universe of all universes.

The Intellvision 2

(paid $4 for one at a thrift shop with games and I even bought a game for it on ebay. great stuff.)

didn't have any video games as a kid, but I've enjoyed them now.

Game wise, Minesweeper. I was 5 and I mastered that game and won every game.

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
NES was my first and had a lot of good games, but N64 would have to be my favorite.

Kulldar
Premium Member
join:2008-11-11
Warren, MI

Kulldar to Polonium9

Premium Member

to Polonium9
I'm a big fan of the Intellivison 2.

Every console brought something cool and new to gamers, I have found memories of them all. I would have to say the best ever is a toss up between the nes and super nes. Both had longevity and set the bar high in their respective generations.
Mystic95Z
join:2005-05-10
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z to 47717768

to 47717768
Probably the Dreamcast, it was awesome, shame it tanked.

Polonium9
I'm not a big fan of Bagels
join:2014-06-17
Leesburg, FL

Polonium9 to Kulldar

to Kulldar
The SuperNES was a big deal, but you have to look at what brought it there: the NES. It paved the way for the SuperNES and really pushed the envelope for game devs.

Then again I just got Microsoft dinosaurs, so nothing beats that by a long shot.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
NES because well it basically reignited the US video game market in the home. SNES is IMO the best of 16bit generation, It kept pace with Sega even without a slew of addon units.

And finally the PlayStation for truly cracking the industry wide open. When the PSX came out everyone doubted it and now it has proven everybody wrong.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I prefer the SNES to the Genesis, but I give Sega credit for keeping up against it pretty well. The SNES buried the Genesis in terms of specs and had great game producers on board.

Too many just look at Sega having twice the clock speed, but the custom(and optimized) processor did several times the instructions per clock cycle, had lower memory latency, had a 16 bit GPU capable of 512x448 resolution and 32,768 colors with 256 on screen at the same time vs Sega's 8 bit GPU with 320x200 resolution and 256 colors with 64 on screen at the same time, as well as the SNES having a true 16-bit Sony digital audio processor vs an 8 bit Yamaha stereo synthesizer on the Sega Genesis. The Sega CD and 32X had their own audio processors, CPUs, and GPU(but in the Sega CD, the CPU and GPU were only faster versions of the Genesis processors, which is why it only doubled the colors while 32X actually increased the colors massively), which is why they offered improved audio.

In fact, the SNES was a full 16-bit system with optimized custom CPU with audio and video processors to match. The only thing that was 16-bit about the Sega Genesis was its off the shelf Motorola 68000 CPU. So the SNES did not really need the addons because it was a technical powerhouse at the time while the Genesis needed some help(but too bad support for these addons was very poor). That concludes my history lesson, kids

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303 to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
master system.. still have it and the damn thing still runs.... yes i have the master cards that where on a credit card they still work too..

I had the atari 2600,5200i think i had a 7800 if i remember right. , nes, master system..

Imo the nes the way it was designed was piss poor with the games not wanting to read all the time.. never had that problem once on my master system..

The best system i had still have it in my laser active from pioneer (sega and nec turbo) very rare i heard..... and my cdi philips machine...

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I have an NES from 1985 and Master System from 1988. NES I opened and tightened up the contacts in the cartridge slot in 1989 due to that exact problem, but the thing ran trouble free since with heavy use and still runs. My first SMS was bought in 1986 and the controller ports stopped working and were not fixable. Bought another in 1988 because I missed it and that one runs to this day. Both are more durable than anything bought now, but still had slightly better luck with the NES as my first one still works while I am on my second SMS, which still works.

Jehu
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
MA

1 recommendation

Jehu to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Super Mario Bros in the arcade changed my life. Having it at home on the NES completed my life.

I've just been waiting to die since.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

4 edits

47717768 (banned)

Now tell me. Who does not like Super Mario Bros. Game. When we all were growing up playing this game.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· jUDfOp2o

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I like Mario but I would take Castlevania over that. Maybe because I am a horror freak
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

As for new Super Mario games they suck. Too childish for me.