Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to Jehu

Premium Member

to Jehu

Re: Your favorite old school consoles

Super Mario Bros. 3 was the best out of all of them!

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Meh I would say Super Mario World. It took what was great about Mario 3, made it longer, added some more power ups, and of course, enhanced the graphics.

Jehu
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
MA

Jehu to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
/fap fap fap
Jehu

1 recommendation

Jehu to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Yes i would of course agree that future iterations of Mario are better, but nothing beat the initial experience of having the original in my living room

Kulldar
Premium Member
join:2008-11-11
Warren, MI

Kulldar

Premium Member

I couldn't agree more. I can still remember the first time getting the mushroom and growing big.

Mario 2 was okay, but wasn't even initially created as a Mario game. Once the game was complete they threw a Mario skin over it and sold it. For that reason, while an okay game, is probably my least favorite of them. Super Mario World, Super Mario 3, and Super Mario Bros are great games. The newer Super Mario for the Wii U is pretty good too because it goes back to it's roots. The good ole days...

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to 47717768

to 47717768
Ghouls and ghosts only to get to the end to find out you need to finish it twice....

I had many intellivision games and my father used to come home from the night shift to see my mother playing lock n chase.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

I loved Contra.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to 47717768

to 47717768

Mine was definetly Atari 2600 and Colecovision AND STILL ARE

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

If you're gonna go 8 bit, what about the NES? Was not the most powerful system by itself but Nintendo built it for the future of what game developers might imagine, allowing chips in games to expand its capabilities and they took quite good advantage of it.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to 47717768

to 47717768
I had a Super NES but lost interest in it..... The only Nintendo game I really like is Super Mario Brothers 1

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

1 recommendation

Adalicia to captokita

to captokita

said by captokita:

Hey now, SegaCD had some pretty great games on it, Spiderman (Mr. Big OP!), both Lunar games, Dark Wizard, other great RPGs. The corny video ones though, kinda lacked. I do have Night Trap, and remember the controversy over that game at the time, and stores refused to sell it. For the time though, it was pretty neat. I have a paper with the game I wrote with all the time codes marked on it for catching the bad guys.

Time Gal cheat: Pause the game, press C and you skip to the next level. =) You can essentially skip through the entire game.

The Lunar games are two of the best RPGs of that era. Snatcher was awesome. Space Ace and Dragon's Lair were on there and...acceptable. Mother fucking Wing Commander. Corpse Killer for that sweet CD 32x action. Better versions of Ecco, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, Earthworm Jim, Final Fight, Road Rash, Shining Force. Keio Flying Squadron, Popful Mail (god I loved that game), and of course Sonic CD (which is generally considered the best of the 2D Sonic games).

Sure, there was like Sewer Shark and Tomcat Alley but the Sega CD was a legit system with a lot of awesome games.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re: ‏

said by 19579823:

I had a Super NES but lost interest in it..... The only Nintendo game I really like is Super Mario Brothers 1

Apparently you never played Zelda, Castlevania, Dragon Warrior, etc then.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia

said by Adalicia:

Keio Flying Squadron, Popful Mail (god I loved that game),

Got both of those! Loved Popful Mail too.
quote:
and of course Sonic CD (which is generally considered the best of the 2D Sonic games).
Agreed! Sonic CD besides having great gameplay with the past/future options, but also an awesome soundtrack.
quote:
Sure, there was like Sewer Shark and Tomcat Alley but the Sega CD was a legit system with a lot of awesome games.

Sewer Shark is so bad, that's it's great. "We're taking heavy damage! Hey, my watch started working again! All right then, turn and burn DOGMEAT!" I personally liked it.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

1 recommendation

Adalicia

I was the perfect age to love both and not know they were total garbage. I remember playing Sewer Shark with my mom a ton. At the time, I mean that would have been probably 1992 maybe 1993, it was awesome. Console games on CDs, CD quality sound, FMV (Jesus how naive I was), it was awesome. Now I can only look back and shake my head, but god I wish I would have never sold that stuff when I was younger. Kind of interesting how many companies and systems had to do the CD attempt before Sony really knocked it out of the park. I was surprised Sega shit the bed so hard on the Saturn (don't get me wrong, it was still great) but delivered a homerun with the Dreamcast. Man, I wish that thing would have succeeded.

Kulldar
Premium Member
join:2008-11-11
Warren, MI

Kulldar

Premium Member

I don't understand why Dreamcast didn't succeed. I bought it early and loved it. I was probably 17 then and just living on my own in my apartment and I played it quite a bit, I didn't have a computer so I used my Dreamcast to surf the internet too.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

The PS2 mainly. That thing basically destroyed the Dreamcast. The super easy piracy didn't help either of course (all you needed was a boot disc and burned copies of whatever games you wanted), but the PS2 itself was a straight up monster. There is a reason it has the highest sales record of any console, a giant library, and actually still had games being made for it up until...two years ago I believe it was? It was just a great system. Sega got there first but Sony came back around and just beat everyone down with that thing.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
After playing Sonic CD on my Android, I just can't stand the American soundtrack anymore after using the Japanese one. So much that I grabbed the Japanese version for my Sega CD emulator. They really Americanized the sound aka dumbed down in the US version.

kfsutops
Premium Member
join:2002-08-19
Lutz, FL

kfsutops to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Intellevision was the best gaming console ever.

This was my first followed by Odyssey. I never understood why my Dad bought this thing for us. But my siblings and I played a mean game of bowling on that thing.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
I think the Dreamcast actually had far better hardware than the PS2 or Xbox. Some games showed it even. Every game I had played on it looked very good...

However as is the downfall of any system, Sega had no major support from 3rd parties. Sony Earned a lot of respect from 3rd parties with the PSX and that continued into the PS2. And to that end it does not matter if a gaming console could run a holodeck, its nothing without the games and sony had the games and the installed fan base, and the PS2 could run people's old PSX games for the most part. Additionally PS2 was the route of access for tons of people especially in Japan to a DVD player that had a reasonable price tag at the time.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

The thing is that the Dreamcast actually had pretty modest hardware; the PS2 was technically more powerful than it. However, Sega really aced the ease of use of its SDK.

When Sega bowed out, they were even in talks with Microsoft (given the OS partnership for the Dreamcast) to get the original Xbox to be BC for its games; however, because Microsoft did not want to cooperate on enabling online capability for DC games, all the talks fell through. Source: »kotaku.com/5447897/how-x ··· -survive

Conversely, Sony has consistently had the most useless and aggravating SDK out of all the system makers; not to mention the most frustrating omissions on its hardware.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

I wonder what the ps4 SDK is like since its basically a PC under the hood in that I believe its using x86 arch this time instead of a totally custom deal.

On the thought of game systems... Wasn't the original Xbox run by a custom win2k kernel?

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

The PS4 is indeed X86 architecture, same as the Xbox One. It essentially is developing for a PC at this point. All it will come down to now between ports is how much juice is under the hood between the two.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

you know this also means that technically XBONE to PC should be pretty easy especially if the console is using DirectX as its core audio and video system.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Lothario

Premium Member

to Lothario
I had the Sega Master System version of Ghouls and Ghosts. I loved that game except for the flicker and lag in some areas of the game. Played it over and over. In some ways, it was better than Super Ghouls and Ghosts for the Super NES, though that was a good game too. Graphics were way ahead of their time, so the lag was kind of expected on an 8-bit system. Did not deter me from playing it over and over. Now I can play it on an emulator without the lag, as a PC is more powerful than the old 8-bit SMS.