spc
Search similar:

uniqs

fiosne1
@72.74.46.x

fiosne1

Anon

Private outgoing calls

We got multiple calls today from a phony charity using a local number 781-xxx-xxxx

We block our number ( private) for outgoing calls

When I called the charity to ask them to stop calling, they knew exactly who I was

How is this possible ?

Thanks

T
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b

Did you call a toll-free number? Toll-free numbers use ANI, not callerID. You can't block ANI. This makes sense, given that the receiver of the call is paying for it.

Enjoy.

fiosne1
@72.74.46.x

fiosne1 to fiosne1

Anon

to fiosne1
It seemed to me like a regular pots line in the Boston area

781-xxx-xxxx

Maybe this translated to an 800 number

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 edit

birdfeedr to fiosne1

MVM

to fiosne1
Use this link to find who carries the area code and exchange.
»www.telcodata.us/search- ··· e-detail

I think I've read somewhere here that ANI data is available even on blocked calls. The equipment receiving politely ignores it, or is supposed to. In this new tech era, nothing is sacred any more. Well, certainly, nothing is private anyway.

Privacy is an illusion.

edit to add: »How does TESTCALL.COM get my BLOCKED caller ID?
lijacobs
join:2010-07-30
Woodmere, NY

lijacobs to fiosne1

to fiosne1
From what I remember from my telcom days, if the charity is using an ISDN pri rate for their PBX, then all of the SS7 call processing data is sent to the PBX. "Privacy" is just a flag in a data packet. The PBX software can parse anything from the call processing data including the originating tel. no.

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79 to birdfeedr

to birdfeedr
register your number to do not call list they will get fined every time they call you problem is solved.That worked for me on my fios digital home phone
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy

said by tito79:

register your number to do not call list they will get fined every time they call you problem is solved.That worked for me on my fios digital home phone

The Do Not Call list does not apply to non-profit organizations, which would include charities.

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by dfwguy:

said by tito79:

The Do Not Call list does not apply to non-profit organizations, which would include charities.

@tito79 - Do Not Call is a joke... Have you ever tried to go after a nuisance business caller that you've never initiated a contact with? When I tried it, the paperwork I got from the FCC made it sound like I would be prosecuted if I was wrong in the info I provided. This was for a caller that that had called more than 15 times in one week.

@dfwguy - Yeah, that includes PBA and all sorts of PITA organizations that squeak in under that category which are after your $$$.

F100
join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

F100 to fiosne1

to fiosne1
I use VOIP.ms as many here at DSLR do. They let you set outbound CID number on your outbound account. I can change number to 000-000-0000 and testcall.com as birdfeedr mentions reads back this number as they ignore the flag.

The MCI test at 800-444-4444 must read back the trunk group or something as it says some random number that is not 000-000-0000 when called with same settings.

I put in a valid CID number of a line I own into VOIP.ms, both services read the number I enter. In VOIP services like VOIP.ms, the outbound is separated from the inbound number. Each call is probably still tied to account information for billing if you called an 800 number. It's easier to specify the CID number and name though. Calling from same account, you can make CID name and CID number different.

I just used the SIP client in the native dialer on my Nexus 5 for my test. VIOP.ms is great. I need to do a review here on them.