spc
Search similar:

uniqs
calc1
join:2009-02-19
Beverly Hills, CA

calc1

i'm worst off...

I got the boost about a month ago, except I really only see those speeds early morning/late night.

It's so congested during the day/peak i barely hover 20-25....
I was actually better off before getting the boost, at least then i saw a consistent hover around 30. Awful.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

Click for full size
Are you testing on a wireless or wired connection? I consistently get around 50 Mbps over wireless and 60 Mbps on a wired connection. Even though my area has 8 channel bonding I'm still using a 4 channel modem (Motorola SB6121) for right now.
Expand your moderator at work

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

cork1958 to calc1

Premium Member

to calc1

Re: i'm worst off...

Click for full size
What modem are you using and what are your signal levels? What router do you have and is it even capable of the new speeds. Just asking a couple of the usual questions.

FWIW,
I get consistent, 63Mbps, speeds whether wired or wireless.

Thought I'd post a speed test on a non Charter network that shows my speed while wireless. Also, in case you're wondering, my upload isn't faster because it's throttled by my router for VOIP (Vonage phone)

»www.att.com/speedtest/

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

howardfine to B4Knight

to B4Knight
said by B4Knight:

Are you testing on a wireless or wired connection?

I'm going to bet 80% of everyone who comes here about this is testing on wireless.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

timcuth

Premium Member

I test on wireless, and I consistently get 63-65 mbps. Everything I have is wireless, now.

Tim
calc1
Beverly Hills, CA

calc1

I have a netgear nighthawk. Using a modem charter sent me, arris TM822.

As of this posting...

FYI, I'm an IT consultant...
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo to calc1

to calc1
What does being a IT consultant have to do with anything. lol

Have same router, constantly get 100meg speeds as advertised. If area is congested, only thing you can do is keep complaining to charter.
Expand your moderator at work

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

howardfine to timcuth

to timcuth

Re: i'm worst off...

Wireless connectivity is erratic and you can't get peak speed. You say you get 63-65 but, if on wired, you get 100Mb, I wouldn't be surprised. If you're telling me you get 60Mb, you're either right next to the modem or you're lying.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth

Premium Member

I am upstairs and half the house laterally away from the modem and wireless router. Here is a real world download test I am doing right now:

--2014-09-03 13:58:46--  https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/longterm/v2.6.32/linux-2.6.32.63.tar.xz
Resolving www.kernel.org (www.kernel.org)... 198.145.20.140, 149.20.4.69, 199.204.44.194, ...
Connecting to www.kernel.org (www.kernel.org)|198.145.20.140|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 52894144 (50M) [application/x-xz]
Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

100%[================================================================================== =======================================================>] 52,894,144  7.54MB/s   in 8.0s

What is that, about 60.3 mbps? Ok, a tiny bit slower than what I claimed. But it could be faster the next time. ;)

Tim
kmg90
join:2002-08-25
Shawano, WI

kmg90

Getting close to max over wireless once doesn't mean it is able to happen 100% of the time. Even the advances in standards and hardware for Wifi over the past decade, it still is no where near as stable or reliable as ethernet.

Wireless is much more error, latency and interference prone than Ethernet is...

Ethernet will ALWAYS be faster, more stable and less error prone to wireless even when you are sitting right next to the router.

If we are pulling occupational rank, I too do IT consulting and repairing and my main philosophies to approaching issues with hardware or problems is to replace known bad with known good.

Wireless is a known bad due to all the factors that can contribute to a bad Internet connection, some of which are outside the control of the person having issues (congested neighborhoods, unfriendly house building material) of which are completely non-existent over wire (minus using bad/exposed Ethernet cables)

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

1 recommendation

DLow to calc1

to calc1
Have you actually configured your router any as in have you messed with your security algorithms any ? changing security types makes a major difference in performance and speed

your modems specs are good, your snr is a little low but its also within spec but the snr is also what has the greatest impact on speeds,

the rx & tx level actually have nonthing to do with your speeds. i have no idea why everyone ask what the levels are when people post slow speed threads.

But anyway your area only has 4CH bonded down stream if you have been upgraded to the 60meg its likley more people are going to be using it and thus in return will see less than 60meg.

That speedtest shows 50 does that not suffice? You being an IT Consultant should know that web sites coded in java are never going to show accurate results when it comes to speedtest.
calc1
Beverly Hills, CA

calc1

Well maybe I should have made it more clear... I'm on the 60mbps package. I'm just looking for some input as to what everyone else is getting POST spectrum upgrade. Seems my area is a bit congested... gone to shit really post spectrum.

I'm able to get 60/4 no problem.... during off peak hours. But during PEAK hours I'm barely hitting 20 mbps, on a good night. Pre-specturm upgrade I could consistently hit 30mbps whether it was peak hours or not.

Not sure why all these "wireless" troubleshoot steps are mentioned... very first response was to blame wireless..? The majority of my network is wired, most wireless devices i do use are AC certified. I can transfer files in and out of my home server at 50+ megabytes a second, there's no wireless issue here. Throughput is plentiful with my nighthawk.

As of this posting, compared to my initial post way early in the morning. Terrible night.

B4Knight
Premium Member
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

If it's only happening at night then it's most likely a congestion issue. Until Charter either adds more backhaul or splits your node you're going to have to suffer through it. You might be able to get the issue escalated if you can get your neighbors to chime in as well.
calc1
Beverly Hills, CA

calc1 to DLow

to DLow
By the way, you're looking at posts NOT posted by me.... recheck your facts.
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson to calc1

to calc1
Don't worry, you're not going crazy... everyone here likes to blame anything other than Charter.

I'm guessing they'll have some things to work out over the coming months in terms of bandwidth.

It's sad though that over 8 channels of bandwidth you're seeing exhaustion just to deliver 60mbps... sounds like your node needs more fiber or to be split.

B4Knight
Premium Member
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

I like to use the process of elimination or troubleshooting before I blame the ISP.

You keep saying we're all shills for Charter and you might be right in some respect. I'm just saying that in my experience Charter has been good. If things go south then I'll say so, but until then I've got nothing really bad to say about the company. Now that doesn't mean that everyone has the same opinion, which clearly they don't, but like I said before in the cable world YMMV. I don't work for them, even though I would like to work for a cable company someday or in some other aspect of broadband.

Like you said though with 8 channels of bandwidth you really shouldn't be having problems getting to 60 Mbps. There must be some serious utilization issues there
BlakePaulson
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

I don't think you're a shill, you seem to be very reasonable about your suggestions.

I just mean he's given us all the information we've asked and unless there's something really wrong with his nighthawk (which I seriously doubt) it's kind of screaming utilization issues. His router wouldn't stop providing 60mbps via wired & wireless during peak times and then instantly go back to providing 60mbps as soon as peak time is over... it's not even a random issue as he can produce speedtest results during the day that show he's getting his allotment and during peak which shows congestion issues. The problem is undoubtedly no matter what method he uses to contact charter about the problem, he most likely won't be able to get in touch with anyone who can do anything to fix the situation until enough people complain or charter figures it out on their own.

I'm completely happy with my Charter service (it could be cheaper, it could be faster, I could have more options, we could have better technology.) I complain a lot because a lot of people seem complacent about the technology and prices at hand. Perhaps it's to stir up a little controversy, who knows. Charter has done wrong by me a few times and no matter how good the service is they'll never right those wrongs. Regardless at the moment Charter is leaps and bounds better than Centurylink in our area. The most I can get at my house is 3mbps.

I like to think of myself being the realist in a sea of cheerleaders, because no matter how good it might be in one area, it might be completely horrible in another and we can't always blame it on the user, someone has to point out that it may in fact be charter in the wrong.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by BlakePaulson:

I don't think you're a shill, you seem to be very reasonable about your suggestions.

You don't mind calling me one though.
BlakePaulson
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

It's true I don't mind. You could practically be the one person who stands up shouting "charter's done nothing wrong, all praise the charter gods" in every thread.

But we balance each other out, I'll be the left to your charter right!
Phatty
join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

Phatty to calc1

to calc1
The issue is probably congestion, but it is probably worth the time to get Charter on the phone and see if you can get them to acknowledge a problem in your area. I"m sure they will insist on sending someone out, but it is the only way to get things properly reported and documented.. Across 8 Channels I am shocked you would have this issue, so perhaps it is an issue with the modem not bonding properly, I had this issue with an SMC and a modem swap cleared me right up.

Either way reporting it to charter is only way to get the issue properly documented.
calc1
Beverly Hills, CA

calc1

I had the same issue when on i was on 30mbps with my SB6121. Called, tech support insisted on having a tech come out and check the lines/modem, etc, etc. Guy shows up like ~3PM, off PEAK times, runs speed tests, everything checks out... of course...

I'm at work telling the tech to wait until 7-9PM and test again. Of course he's not going to sit around for this.

I got hit with a tech visit charge the following month. Had to dispute it......
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo

They don't need to come out to see the congestion, they can do it at charter itself. More than likely they already know about the issue. Most of the time they are just waiting for work orders and stuff to go through. Its all based on priority.

Charter contracts out lots of stuff, and those companies are overwhelmed with work. The people that go around to bury lines for example can have 6+ months back log. We have had buildings with lines laying across yards for over a year before charter buried them. Even when they get cut from grass cutters, they will just come and replace the line before they even care about getting it buried. lol

sdurrough
Premium Member
join:2002-12-10
Haines City, FL

sdurrough to calc1

Premium Member

to calc1
run speed test from various site and different times of the day.keep a log/record.Find out who is the Tech Ops Supervisor for your area.Get his email address from charter.com.Send him/her these logs everyday.He will eventually look into the problem and either fix it or forward the emails up to the cmts engineers.If it is due to congestion the squeckiest wheel will get the most grease.