Search similar:

uniqs
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

2014 - 2015 NHL Gamecenter Live

Hey Everyone,

I've used Game center live for the past few seasons. With Rogers taking over the NHL in canada can anyone explain this to me

»www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/ ··· ackouts/

If I live in Edmonton and Subscribe to the Gamecenter Live (Online version) Im now blackout free?

Have they combined both the tv version on internet version as well??

Soo confused

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

It still requires to subscribe to the local sportsnet channels on conventional tv to be able to watch it on GCL.

Which is still useless to cord cutters.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by HiVolt:

It still requires to subscribe to the local sportsnet channels on conventional tv to be able to watch it on GCL.

Which is still useless to cord cutters.

Would it? How would they know whether or not you had a cable subscription (especially if you use a cableco other than Rogers?).

There are some teams (I think Winnipeg is one of them) where TSN own's the regional rights, so I imagine those would absolutely not being on gamecentre live (if you live in the region for those teams).

I would fully expect national games to be on GCL. All the games last year from CBC on TSN are now owned by rogers, so at least those shouldn't be blacked out. I'm still not sure about the teams where Roger's own regional rights for.

What I am wondering is if Roger's is launching their own GCL program or if they are simply piggy backing off the NHL's website/app?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

You'll probably have to enter an account number from your cable co, no matter if it's rogers to verify.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Doonz

Premium Member

to Doonz
Here is a press release from Open Media explaining how Robellus won't let you watch anything online, they want you to purchase into their distribution services.

»openmedia.ca/blog/should ··· t-online
MrToady
join:2011-08-30
Medicine Hat, AB

1 recommendation

MrToady to Doonz

to Doonz
$200.00 for gamecentre? No thanks! especially when you can get it cheaper through the Netherlands or other countries...add the ability to re-route through europe and all blackouts go bye-bye!!

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

If you already have to pay for your local cable/sat/iptv, then why pay Rogers $199 more to watch your LOCAL TEAM if thats all you want.

Buy a slingbox and stream anything to anywhere, and its a one time cost.

I've been doing this since the very first Slingbox came out.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to Doonz

to Doonz
As far as I can tell:

-National games are available to all GCL subscribers
-out of region games are available to all GCL subscribers
-In-region games are available to GCL subscribers if the game is on SportsNet AND that GCL subscriber has the right SportsNet channel in a TV package from a participating TV service provider.
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

Im just doing the math here.

I need to add 40 Bux a month in packages to allow me to get the local sportsnet channels.

Plus pay 200 dollars for game center live

soooo 520 dollars for the NHL season thanks to rogers... *sigh*

Unblockus and GCL here I come again
bt
canada

bt to HiVolt

to HiVolt
Not for out of market cord cutters. They get all the national games now too. They only get blacked out when their team is playing the team who's market they are in.
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by bt:

Not for out of market cord cutters. They get all the national games now too. They only get blacked out when their team is playing the team who's market they are in.

Your Right in a sense, that now National games are available through GCL... But they were available through CBC streams for free before...
bt
canada

bt

said by Doonz:

said by bt:

Your Right in a sense, that now National games are available through GCL... But they were available through CBC streams for free before...

Unless they were on TSN, or you were trying to watch on something that doesn't support flash video.
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

This really sux and was my fear when Rogers got this deal.

Less options and cost is higher
MrToady
join:2011-08-30
Medicine Hat, AB

MrToady

They need to recoup the 5.2 billion they spent some how, unfortunately it won't be from me.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Doonz

Premium Member

to Doonz
Just reading in the Globe, Robbers has decided to allow all it's Wireless and Broadband customers watch 1000 games (sounds big doesn't )online till the end of the year.

Rogers Communications Inc. plans to offer 1,000 games from the 2014-2015 National Hockey League regular-season, as well as the playoffs, on an online streaming platform. The company said Wednesday it would offer free live streaming of games on its NHL GameCentre Live to its own wireless and broadband Internet customers until the end of the year.

Streaming games will count against users' monthly data caps, Rogers Media President Keith Pelley said during a press conference in Toronto.

Customers of other cellular and Internet providers will be able to subscribe to the package for $199.99 for the season; a discount to $179.99 will be available until Oct. 13.

OOOH a 20 dollar discount, I better run and sign up.. Oh wait. I'm on Wind

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 0321080/
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

Man I was trying so hard to cut the cord and still stay legal.....

Guess not in canada

Raptor
Not a Dumptruck
join:2001-10-21
London, ON

Raptor to Doonz

to Doonz
Megathread on RFD: »forums.redflagdeals.com/ ··· 1538865/

The discussion is now turning to the latest Rogers development and whether they'll be implementing a walled garden, thereby negating the ability to carry a GCL sub only for watching your local team. i.e. you'd need both the GCL sub AND a Rogers sub.

I was honestly thinking of cord cutting, as I really only have it for sports at this point. Might wait and see how the people who pulled the trigger in the above linked thread fair with a VPN/DNS.

That OpenMedia link was a good read.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to Doonz

to Doonz
said by Doonz:

Hopefully Robbers doesn't see and find a way to stop this. I'll be using other options as I am a cord cutter.

I knew when the deal was made that it would be trouble for cord cutters and Rogers has proven this true.

I'll be paying $100 US for all the games thanks.
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by markf:

said by Doonz:

Hopefully Robbers doesn't see and find a way to stop this. I'll be using other options as I am a cord cutter.

I knew when the deal was made that it would be trouble for cord cutters and Rogers has proven this true.

I'll be paying $100 US for all the games thanks.

Just tried to register for this season.

Using Unblock.us I couldnt open up gamecenter live from nhl.com without ending up on the new Rogers page.

I vpnd through my place in Arizona and through NHL.com I can buy Gamecenter Live for 159.99 with an USA IP address.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Doonz

Premium Member

to Doonz
It'll be interesting to see what Shaw does out here...........as we usually get a few months free preview,before they cut it off.
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by ZZZZZZZ:

It'll be interesting to see what Shaw does out here...........as we usually get a few months free preview,before they cut it off.

Well if im reading it right.

Youll need 30 bux worth of addon packages a month to actually use Gamecenterlive

Raptor
Not a Dumptruck
join:2001-10-21
London, ON

Raptor to Doonz

to Doonz
said by Doonz:

I vpnd through my place in Arizona and through NHL.com I can buy Gamecenter Live for 159.99 with an USA IP address.

FYI, in the RFD thread I linked above people were getting it for $75 using a Russian IP address.

yoyomhz
join:2003-02-15
Beverly Hills, CA

yoyomhz to Doonz

to Doonz
paying $200/ year to watch hockey is absurd

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by yoyomhz:

paying $200/ year to watch hockey is absurd

yeah especially that they want an active cable/sat subscription as well.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to yoyomhz

Premium Member

to yoyomhz
Well not really when you consider the $$ of one ticket to a live hockey game.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to bt

to bt
said by bt:

As far as I can tell:

-National games are available to all GCL subscribers
-out of region games are available to all GCL subscribers
-In-region games are available to GCL subscribers if the game is on SportsNet AND that GCL subscriber has the right SportsNet channel in a TV package from a participating TV service provider.

*except* if the out of market rights are owned by Bell Media (IE: TSN) Rogers couldn't (or wouldn't pay enough) to get TSN to play ball...

NefCanuck
bt
canada

bt

said by NefCanuck:

*except* if the out of market rights are owned by Bell Media (IE: TSN)

Right, which is why I said "if the game is on SportsNet".

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

What I find obscene is that there is no way to just follow your own team, for a much lesser price. This all you can eat model doesnt suit many people, as many dont care for the rest of the teams.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by HiVolt:

What I find obscene is that there is no way to just follow your own team, for a much lesser price. This all you can eat model doesnt suit many people, as many dont care for the rest of the teams.

A "follow your team" model would IMO decimate Rogers cable sub numbers, esp. in regions of the country with a heavy Leafs fan presence.

It's the same reason why they won't offer a cable package of solely sports channels, they would see people abandoning their "core" product of "shovelware" TV channel packages by the thousands.

NefCanuck
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Doonz

to Doonz
said by Doonz:

Using Unblock.us I couldnt open up gamecenter live from nhl.com without ending up on the new Rogers page.

Just an FYI but it seems like the cheapest region to sign up for gcl this year is Russia. According to RFD it's only $75 if you sign up from a russian ip address.

I also think you right... Rogers will probably put up a walled garden, so you'll need a dns redirector or VPN to log into the NHL's version directly.