dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
redsrule2500
join:2014-08-22

redsrule2500

So wait, I can't access router options and cannot change my WPA key/SSN?

After switching back to WOW for the first time in 6 years, the WOW tech mentioned that I couldn't change the WPA key as he was leaving, but per usual, just figured he thought I was a simpleton.

I attempted logging into the router, no go. Wasn't provided any login info. Can't find it in any paperwork. Call the servicer and they said that they don't allow customers access to router info.

What the hell?! How am I supposed to have port forwarding setup correct, static IPs, etc? Not being allowed to change WPA password is just wrong.

Since when did WOW become a simpleton provider? Is there really no option? Thank goodness for the 60-day warranty if so....

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 recommendation

Anonymous_

Premium Member

buy your own modem?
redsrule2500

1 recommendation

redsrule2500

I didn't think you could with WOW Ultra??
alan92rttt
join:2012-02-27

1 recommendation

alan92rttt to redsrule2500

to redsrule2500
If you have ultra you can change your SSID, security level and password.

Cal customer support to get the gateway login if you have ultra.
lesmikesell
join:2013-06-10
Mount Prospect, IL

1 recommendation

lesmikesell to redsrule2500

to redsrule2500
If the tech hadn't given me the login info he would have taken the equipment back with him. Customer support should give it to you, though.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

1 recommendation

Body Count to redsrule2500

to redsrule2500
Call customer support and ask for it. If they won't give it to you, ask for someone higher up. When that person comes on the line, first say you are recording the conversation. Ask for their name. Then ask for the password. If that person won't give it to you, tell them when you get hacked because you couldn't change the wifi password, you will be sending WOW the bill to get your life back in order. That should change the persons mind.. seeing that they think the conversation is being recorded and you have the persons name.

Ultra TV the tech that installed mine gave me the password. Co-worker who had ultra tv installed said the tech wouldn't give it to them but he called in and the rep gave it out. I should have wrote the default password for ultra TV down because it's the same for everyone. Would have saved a lot of headaches on here.
redsrule2500

1 recommendation

redsrule2500

Yes you should have!! But honestly, this is just very insulting to the user. I cannot believe this is standard practice.
computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

1 recommendation

computerman2

Premium Member

When had ours installed, Tech gave password for the wifi, and stated the one that is in there currently is secure, as it's unique to us, don't really believe that.

But don't see any strange machines on the network as yet, login and check it often.

But would be nice if they allowed customers to change the wifi password
lesmikesell
join:2013-06-10
Mount Prospect, IL

2 recommendations

lesmikesell

Per page E-5 in the docs:
»www.wowway.com/docs/ultr ··· ment.pdf

"Your installer should leave you with
information about the login password".

Remind them if they don't.