JimBee
Premium Member
join:2003-03-28
Ottawa, ON

JimBee

Premium Member

[Internet] Two different 5Mbit plans?

Hello,

When I log into bell.ca/myinternet and go to look at the available plans, it says there are two offered -- both with 5Mbit download (We're out in the country so this is all that is offered).

The plan we're currently on is called Bell Internet 5 (5/0.8) and is $44.95/month.
The other offered plan is called Bell Fibe Internet 5/1 and is $51.95/month.

The only difference I can see besides the 'fibe' designation is 0.2 more upload speed for $7.

Is the fibe plan VDSL? What other incentives are there to switch to it? Would switching make me lose my Unlimited feature add-on? (Called: "Unlimited Usage Promotion ($30 less $20 Trio discount)")

Thanks !
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

No the other 5 mbps plan has more usage I believe. It used to be called 5 plus and had 95 gb not sure what it has now as we are currently realigning our packages, primarily getting rid of 15/10 in adsl-only areas

EDIT: the 5 plus plan now has 140gb of usage. That is the more expensive plan you are seeing.

kw_have_not
@70.27.33.x

kw_have_not to JimBee

Anon

to JimBee
"Internet 5" is for people connected to DSLAMs inside traditional COs, whereas "Fibe 5/1" is for people on remote neighbourhood DSLAMs -- or at least, that's the way it was for me, by comparing what the availability checker said on bell.ca before and after a remote was installed that introduced Fibe TV and obviously higher speed Internet packages.
Don't switch or you won't be able to go back!
JimBee
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

JimBee to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
said by btech805:

No the other 5 mbps plan has more usage I believe. It used to be called 5 plus and had 95 gb not sure what it has now as we are currently realigning our packages, primarily getting rid of 15/10 in adsl-only areas

Hmm, the plans I see on the Bell site both have the same usage, 40 Gigs. Here's a picture of the screen:

I always thought Fibe = VDSL.

Edit: Thanks to HiVolt on another thread in the Canadian Broadband forum (»DSL wholesale internet on dry second line possible? ) I now know that Fibe encompasses both VDSL and ADSL2+.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by JimBee:

I always thought Fibe = VDSL.

Actually, Fibe = Fib, a little lie Bell uses to make you think you're getting something other than plain old DSL.
btech805
Canada

btech805 to JimBee

to JimBee
Click for full size
Click for full size
Now im confused. We already switch 5 meg customers to 7330s in the field if need when they aren't getting their full speeds under our eagle program. Why the heck would you pay extra for that? It still doesn't guarantee you get 5 meg.

Also, why are your packages nore expensive than mine? Keep in mind, Fibe is not available where I am.
b_p_smith
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON

b_p_smith

Premium Member

said by btech805:

Also, why are your packages more expensive than mine? Keep in mind, Fibe is not available where I am.

Your (lower) prices are showing as "in a bundle", while JimBee's prices appear to be un-bundled. That probably explains why his are a few bucks higher.

I agree that the extra $7 for 0.2Mbps upload increase (if he even got that) seems weird. The increase in the "Plus" cap is intriguing for me though. I'm currently paying $30 for unlimited, because the old cap was too low. But since I never go over 140Gig, I can see myself saving some money by switching from my non-Plus.

Brad.
JimBee
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

JimBee

Premium Member

Hmm, very interesting. The only thing I can surmise from btech805's screenshots is that Bell package pricing is regional (and not say, Ontario-wide prices like the wholesalers).
said by b_p_smith:

Your (lower) prices are showing as "in a bundle", while JimBee's prices appear to be un-bundled. That probably explains why his are a few bucks higher.

We are using a bundle though -- we have a Landline and Satellite TV from Bell. Those prices are what I see when I log onto »www.bell.ca/myinternet/ and choose 'change my package'. It then takes roughly 30 seconds to figure out what's available and presents me with the two packages in the screenshot.
said by b_p_smith:

I'm currently paying $30 for unlimited, because the old cap was too low.

We too would be paying $30 for the unlimited option only around Christmas time they were having a promo and we only pay $10 (it's a trio discount so I'm guessing they mean bundle).

-----------------------

Here's what I've gathered from the replies here and info from my other thread.

The two plans listed for my address (5/0.8 and 5/1) would in all likelihood be offered using the same technology. Just because one package has 'Fibe' in it doesn't mean I'd be transferred to a 7330 or a Remote.

The $7 increase would only give me an additional 0.2Mbps upload. Nothing more. The Fibe designation, from what I've understood, is generic and doesn't mean anything. For me, it's just added a layer of confusion (I automatically assumed, as most consumers probably do, that Fibe = better).

I wish I knew where the CO is near me. The Bell Remote Map (»www.google.ca/maps/ms?ms ··· =feature) doesn't have any information for my area. I see brown boxes by the road while driving all the time but I don't know how to identify them/what to look for (otherwise I'd drive around and add some data to the map).
btech805
Canada

btech805

The other issue too, it that while you may be moved to a local 7330 or oslam, it would still be using adsl profiles for 5/1 and depending on your distance from the slam, 1 meg up isnt usually attainable on adsl (or at least makes the line unstable), meaning you'd probably still be set to 800 kbps upload.