All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
YuniorF
join:2014-08-23
United State

YuniorF

[Internet] Time warner cable 300 mbps modem?

i was told by them that i need a new modem to receive the 300 mbps and that its a arris modem, which also has wifi on it, does anyone know what modem is it? , i live in the bronx,nyc
jack584
join:2014-07-07

jack584

The modem/router combo unit they are referring to is the Arris DG1670. It is currently the only modem TWC will give you that supports speeds above 100 Mbps. The other modem which is capable of speeds over 100 Mbps, without a router built in is the Arris/Motorola SB6183, however nobody has reported being able to get one from TWC.
YuniorF
United State

YuniorF

oh okay, thanks

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers

Premium Member

most would advise you not to get the modem & wifi in the same
device, or at least rent the modem and buy your own wifi router,
or better yet, wait a month or two and buy both yourself.

YuniorF2
@142.255.8.x

YuniorF2

Anon

Is the WiFi performance so bad? Like worse than the ubee modem? (it's me I'm just lazy to log in in my cellphone)

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by YuniorF2 :

Is the WiFi performance so bad? Like worse than the ubee modem? (it's me I'm just lazy to log in in my cellphone)

In most cases the WiFi chip that is built in modems is the most basic one of the current standard. 1-band, often you won't be able to get more then 150 Mbps out of it if right next to the modem, likely 50-100 when elsewhere in the house, slower if on the other end of the house. The modem builders offer WiFi as a "feature", but the focus remains the modem portion of the domain.

If you want to get those 300 Mbps speeds over wireless, you are going to have to invest in a multi-band router with multiple input/output antennas, etc.

Personally, I will echo the advice that others have given: Use the modem as a modem only, and install your own wireless network. You can have the leased wifi modem put into "bridged mode" so you can use your own wifi and router.
spdickey
join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey

said by maartena:

In most cases the WiFi chip that is built in modems is the most basic one of the current standard. 1-band,

But not in this case.

The Arris DG1670 is 3x3:3@2.4 GHz and 3x3:3@5GHz MIMO with Beamforming for enhanced coverage and performance

The DG1670 combines a 4-port Gigabit Router and 802.11n wireless access point with two independent simultaneously operating 802.11n radios into a single device capable of support both home and small office applications.

The product is not available for retail, only through cable operators.

»www.arrisi.com/products/ ··· p?id=684
YuniorF
United State

YuniorF to maartena

to maartena
so which cheap modem you reccomend, like maybe around 30-100?
YuniorF

YuniorF to spdickey

to spdickey
what you trying to say is that it outputs both @2.4Ghz band and @5Ghz Band?

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to YuniorF

Premium Member

to YuniorF
said by YuniorF:

so which cheap modem you reccomend, like maybe around 30-100?

!!!Warning!!! Incompatible requirements detected. Please unselect either "300 mbps" or "cheap" and try again.
spdickey
join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey to YuniorF

to YuniorF
said by YuniorF:

it outputs both @2.4Ghz band and @5Ghz Band?

Yes, per the Arris web site »www.arrisi.com/products/ ··· p?id=684
spdickey

spdickey to YuniorF

to YuniorF
said by YuniorF:

which cheap modem you reccomend

The lowest cost modem on this list that works for your TWC data plan.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· ems.html
YuniorF
United State

YuniorF to mackey

to mackey
xD, then is should buy the Asus AC one which is absolute a beast lol
YuniorF

YuniorF to spdickey

to spdickey
lol sorry i meant router xD
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to YuniorF

to YuniorF
FYI the TWC gateway won't give you anywhere close to 300M on wireless. You'll want an AC1750 or better router for that. But you probably already knew that (the gateway is N900).
YuniorF
United State

YuniorF

so i guess yeah, im gonna save to buy one

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

Even with the very best router, chances are you will get somewhere between 100-200 Mbps if the router is placed on the other side of one or more walls. If you really want the full 300 Mbps, a wired solution is the best option for that.

Also keep in mind not all wireless receivers (in e.g. laptops) are capable of multi channel input/output, although most wireless chips from the last 2-3 years should be fine.

I'm just trying to caution you, that wireless comes without a speed guarantee. There are many many factors (including the amount of neighbours with wireless, whether there is steel framing in the walls, how far you are from the router, where exactly in the room the receiver is located (close to walls usually has less reception), how many other wireless hosts there are, etc).

If you want close to 300 Mbps guaranteed, run a wire from the router to your computer. I have my house wired up by running CAT6 under the house to 2 bedrooms and my TV location, but you can do this using the attic crawl space as well.
YuniorF
United State

YuniorF

yes i know that, thank you for your advice tho, at the moment my current router is placed in the living room which happens to be at equal distance from both rooms there are, on top of that the walls are really thin and kind of old so we get full signal in both rooms, even though that , with this ubee router the max i seen in both rooms are 40mbps download and 10 upload, also , i have a ps3,ps4 and two pc, they all wired

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

1 edit

OpTiC to YuniorF

Premium Member

to YuniorF
The Asus AC68u is on a discount from amazon
»www.amazon.com/RT-AC68U- ··· us+ac68u
I advise you to don't get the 87u because there are still bugs to fix. There isn't a modem out to support the 300mbps connection. If you want to buy one you will have to preorder like I did.
»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· a+sb6141
Vitality9
Premium Member
join:2014-06-15

Vitality9 to YuniorF

Premium Member

to YuniorF
SB6183
RT-N66U
RT-AC66U
RT-AC68U
R7000
R6250

Those routers are all capable of routing 300.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

4 edits

Packeteers to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
that asus is such overkill for an apartment dweller, when any "300+300" $40 dual band 2.4 5.0 wifi will do fine. most devices only use a single 7mbps-45mbps B or N band anyway. that asus would only make sense if you were hosting over a dozen wireless devices in a 2,000sq/ft house - but most of your stuff is wired anyway, so you probably need a $20 8-port switch (and a $40 wifi router) more than some $200 4-port/wifi router.

as maar says - your results may vary, but I'm glad i didn't waste money on more wifi when all I had to do with my cheap TL-WDR3600 was make sure i moved my signal to a less neighbor-wifi congested channel. I even replaced one antenna with a $20 unidirectional panel so I could use my wifi in a park across the street 150' away.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by Packeteers:

that asus is such overkill for an apartment dweller, when any "300+300" $40 dual band 2.4 5.0 wifi will do fine. most devices only use a single 7mbps-45mbps B or N band anyway. that asus would only make sense if you were hosting over a dozen wireless devices in a 2,000sq/ft house - but most of your stuff is wired anyway, so you probably need a $20 8-port switch (and a $40 wifi router) more than some $200 4-port/wifi router.

Even in an apartment, you can have issues. If your modem/router is in a living room, but your wireless computer is in a bedroom, and the direct route goes straight through a bathroom and heating cabinet, which in construction usually means 3 walls, you most likely won't get 300 Mbps, but rather less then 100 with a "cheap" router.

I agree, you should just run wires to everywhere for full speed, but a good router can help with wireless connections if that is impossible. Besides that, there is something to be said about quality, ease of use of the software, configurability of the firewall, IPv6 support, and all those things. It's going to be the device that will supply all your devices with Internet, it better be something decent. But that is just me
Vitality9
Premium Member
join:2014-06-15

1 recommendation

Vitality9

Premium Member

Routing 300mbps isn't easy. a MISPEL CPU router is going to have quite a hard time. ARM routers will do fine, hence when I recommended RT-Ac68u and R7000. RT-N66U and RT-Ac66u and R6250 will work fine, but might have a bit of slow down if doing NAS traffic and other things.
YuniorF
United State

YuniorF

oh well, thanks for the help everyone, im just gonna end up buying the asus RT-AC68U as i actually have been waiting to buy it for a long time , thx for the help

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

kamm to Packeteers

to Packeteers
ROuting packets at 300Mbit/s has nothing to do with wifi throuput, FFS - quite literally NONE OF YOUR "$40 dual band 2.4 5.0 wifi" WILL ROUTE AT 300Mb/s, stop spreading clueless BS when you are clearly have no idea about the subject, please.
kamm

kamm to YuniorF

to YuniorF
FWIW I am planning to get one of these routers in a few weeks to match my new 300/20 package:
»www.draytek.com/index.ph ··· &lang=en
»www.draytek.com/index.ph ··· &lang=en

(I have UniFi for wireless, hence the non-wifi units.)

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

1 edit

Packeteers

Premium Member

I've compared wifi with my pads and smartphones at the office, and there is no practical difference to a $40 router beside range and number of simultaneous device support.
but if you want to waste your money on apartment wifi at home that costs 5x as much because you are impressed with technical specs and freeware capability, it's your money...
you are taking a risk going with any equipment not already on twc's pdf file as they may not be set up to push out the modem section firmware updates to it, thus may not support it.
they also may not support docsis3 modems designed for alternative channel range european docsis3.
bodosom
Leger de main
Premium Member
join:2004-03-05
WNY/Niagara
ARRIS SB6183
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
pfSense SG-2220

bodosom

Premium Member

said by Packeteers:

there is no practical difference to a $40 router beside range

Most people are quite interested in "range".
said by Packeteers:

you are taking a risk going with any equipment not already on twc's pdf file

TWC doesn't provide a list of supported routers to attach to your cable modem since they don't support routers they don't lease -- fortunately.