azradio
KG7JQM
Premium Member
join:2003-12-29

1 edit

1 recommendation

azradio

Premium Member

ISDN NT1 interfaces and their relation to broadcast codecs...

Hi all,

Very long time lurker to the site... I know the knowledge that lives here and I hope there's a few old-time telco guys that still visit this forum.

I am currently employed as an SBE certified broadcast engineer in Phoenix. I've used Zephyrs for years for ISDN, but unfortunately the plant I now look after has had our last Telos codecs all start dying a miserable death.

I've bought a TieLine G5 Merlin for the shop, and a TieLine G3 5 channel mixer for the field. Very impressed by the options for IP connectivity and making that work at the moment... we bought a 6 channel unit for the shop so I can have 6 people in the field on their iPhones all at the same time. Very cool stuff.

I've also bought an ISDN card for the shop Merlin and kept around a BRI line. I wanted to make sure that I could still handle multiple ISDN remotes if needed... but now my last shop Zephyr has a failing ISDN card so I'm left with only one codec...

So now, I want to stick an ISDN card in my 5 channel codec and use it to dial my shop Merlin. The problem I'm facing is that while I COULD STILL BUY a U interface for my rack room unit, it appears that they're only selling the "Euro" S/T interface card for the G3 portable. A supply and/or demand issue I guess...

Since I can only buy an ISDN S/T interface on my portable, am I safe to assume I can use any network interface unit? I've seen the Adtran NT1 Ace units in broadcast environments before. Is it just as simple as any NT1/NT2 combo unit will work to convert the line type? Or are there more variables I need to look for?

TieLine will sell me a "Euro" ISDN unit with a single NT1 for a $400 up charge over the card alone. It would be a lot nicer if I could just use that $400, get on eBay, and shelve 5-6 Adtran NT1s and permanently install them as needed for nightclubs ETC. That way the guys that actually go and set things up wouldn't know the difference. It would just be a phone cord to them.

Anyone's opinion would be much valued. I'd hate to lose my ability to still run my own ISDN remote for the times that is the best option.

Thank you,
Paul Schminke, CBT
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

1 recommendation

cramer

Premium Member

You may have U (single pair) an S/T (4 pair) backwards. I've never seen a US telco deliver anything but a BRI-U interface. That said, as I recall, the NT1 doesn't care what's on either side. (i.e. there's no FXS vs FXO going on.) But it has been almost two decades since I messed with it.

(PRI's don't have any of that nonsense. It's a "T1".)
azradio
KG7JQM
Premium Member
join:2003-12-29

azradio

Premium Member

Yes sir, you are correct. My brain may have been a little fried as I attempted to comprehend what I was writing. Edited and fixed. Thank you!
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

1 recommendation

cramer

Premium Member

If the telco delivers a BRI-U and your gear has an S/T interface, then any available NT1 should do the trick. (not sure how available those things are these days.)