TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

CRTC issues 2014 report on state of Canadian broadcasting industry

September 4, 2014 – Ottawa-Gatineau – Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) today released information on the broadcasting sector from the 2014 Communications Monitoring Report.

“The 2014 Communications Monitoring Report provides timely information on the broadcasting sector, particularly as we prepare our Let’s Talk TV public hearing to discuss the future of television beginning on September 8. The data appears to show that Canadians are maintaining their subscriptions to traditional television services, even as they are making greater use of Internet-based services. We look forward to gathering more input during the hearing to ensure that Canadian television is able to adapt to changing viewing habits and technologies.”

Jean-Pierre Blais, CRTC Chairman

Read More (news.gc.ca)

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Apparently in 2013, 29% of English-speaking Canadians subscribed to Netflix, up from 21% in 2012. Since the data in this report is the 9 months out of date, it's quite possibly higher at this point. That's incredible penetration for a subscription service, approaching the market penetration of cable or telephone companies.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

It's cheap, the content is good and it's available on a variety of devices.
Robellus is deadly afraid of Netflix, it's creating a whole generation of cord cutters and it's going to cost them dearly.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Apparently in 2013, 29% of English-speaking Canadians subscribed to Netflix, up from 21% in 2012. Since the data in this report is the 9 months out of date, it's quite possibly higher at this point. That's incredible penetration for a subscription service, approaching the market penetration of cable or telephone companies.

I just wonder what percentage of them access the US netflix with a Canadian sub and how many subs are lost every time they try and stop that from happening

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

said by JMJimmy:

I just wonder what percentage of them access the US netflix with a Canadian sub and how many subs are lost every time they try and stop that from happening

I think that number would be surprisingly small. Among the technically-savy folks here, it may be a no-brainer to configure a DNS redirection service; but if you're watching Netflix from a non-PC device, like blu-ray or smart-TV, it may require tweaking settings in your router - like editing a dnsmasq file. That's beyond the desire and capabilities of most users.
JMJimmy

JMJimmy

said by WhaleOilBee:

I think that number would be surprisingly small. Among the technically-savy folks here, it may be a no-brainer to configure a DNS redirection service; but if you're watching Netflix from a non-PC device, like blu-ray or smart-TV, it may require tweaking settings in your router - like editing a dnsmasq file. That's beyond the desire and capabilities of most users.

I would have thought that too until my technically incompetent mother-in-law did it with her PS3 without any help. Among everyone I know AFK not a single person uses Canadian Netflix.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Robellus is deadly afraid of Netflix, it's creating a whole generation of cord cutters and it's going to cost them dearly.

Who's creating the cord cutters? Netflix or Rogers?
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

said by milnoc:

Maybe a bit of "push-pull" as in the constant fee increases and customer service bullshit of existing BDU's pushes customers out while Netflix pulls them in.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
Netflix
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
I dropped Rogers for Cable at least 5-6yrs ago, only because they messed around with me when I was renovating the house. They refused to give me (that I had already had), what they called the "travellers package".

i wanted to suspend my service while I was renovating and they insisted I had to leave the house.

FU cancel.

Same with cell phone, they refused to offer any semblance of a deal so I went to Wind.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Does netflix serve up advertising during or before & after shows? I personally have no idea. But one of the things that rubs me wrong about cable tv is paying to have adverts irregardless. If I'm going to pay for a service you're not going to bombard me with ads period.
booj
join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj

said by TwiztedZero:

Does netflix serve up advertising during or before & after shows? I personally have no idea. But one of the things that rubs me wrong about cable tv is paying to have adverts irregardless. If I'm going to pay for a service you're not going to bombard me with ads period.

There are no ads on Netflix. Though I did see some product placement in some the shows they produced :0

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
They also make suggestions on what to watch next. But for TV series, the next episode will play automatically after a few seconds.

That's the best part of Netflix. It remembers where you last left off, regardless of the device.

meshif
Premium Member
join:2007-10-08
Windsor, ON

meshif to WhaleOilBee

Premium Member

to WhaleOilBee
My sister isn't very tech savvy but she managed to find a list of DNS addresses and got 2 Xbox and a PC set up for US Netflix so I wouldn't doubt there's a good number of Canadians using the US service
JMJimmy

JMJimmy to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

Classic ads for TV, maybe I'd be ok with, but the thing that irks me to no end is the watermarks/over content ads. Every time I see one I just want to throttle a TV exec (& the CRTC for allowing them). Could you imagine going to the movies or to a play and having ads pop up in front of what you're trying to watch?
mr weather
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

That's the best part of Netflix. It remembers where you last left off, regardless of the device.

One thing Netflix doesn't allow you to do is delete your last watched movies. It would come in handy if you've been watching... err... questionable stuff.

There is a workaround by setting up a new profile in your account, watching away then deleting that profile afterwards but it's kind of kludgey.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

I actually write reviews of the "questionable stuff," and identify myself in the review with an "(FC)" at the end.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
Blais is interviewed here.... »www.huffingtonpost.ca/20 ··· 894.html

In it he states, "It would be overstating that we would be concerned about any individual company going under. I don't want to sound heartless, but we are not there to protect the business model of any individual company. It is sad if a company does go bankrupt ’cause people who work there lose their jobs, people who watch that channel may not have the choices that they used to, but the commission cannot be in the business of guaranteeing financial success for everybody who wants to launch a broadcasting undertaking. "

I hope somebody who is going to the hearings also brings up the point that it is also NOT the CRTC's job to protect the wireline/wireless deliverers (Rogers, Bell, Shaw, Cogeco, et. al.'s) rapacious profit margins in the businesses either. Because many of these are now content owners it is very easy for them to play shell games when it comes to assigning costs to various parts of their enterprise - much like companies play with cross-border transfer pricing to shelter profits in low-tax locales.

Sure, physical plant costs lots of money - but it is also a long-lived asset. How many of us are still getting phone/tv/internet over 40+ year old copper? Fibre will be the same.

In this upcoming hearing we come back to the same vertical integration issues we'll been fighting in internet access - when the wireline provider is also an ISP (broadcaster/content creator) and has a retail interest to protect at the expense of indies (customers).

Functional separation should be the other thing that is repeated over and over at this hearing. So what that Bell/Rogers spend billions acquiring content. Let that be a lesson to the shareholders about hiring Boards of Directors who spend their money on thinks the government should rightly curtail. The CRTC should man-up and reverse their approvals of content acquisition by the wireline providers.
MaynardKrebs

1 recommendation

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

One more thing ..... the CRTC should NOT allow the further dismantling of OTA transmission by the incumbents.

That is probably the only thing left that forces them to tread carefully vis-a-vis cord cutters.. Why should we be a nation of enforced tithing for a wire delivering commercials?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
Quebecor was speaking on the latest hearings and complained that the companies like Netflix are getting a free ride, while they're straightjacketed by the CRTC.

Pentefountas, and I'm so impressed with this comment suggests to the CEO of Quebecor

“What stops you from being in competition with Netflix as an [over-the-top online] service?” asked Tom Pentefountas, vice-chairman of the CRTC, adding, “If the [regulatory] handcuffs are so tight, give up your license.”

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 0502173/
MrToady
join:2011-08-30
Medicine Hat, AB

MrToady to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
Man just imagine what would happen if Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet owned the roads we drive on. All the initial infrastructure in "most" provinces was paid for by you me and the guy down the street not the duopolies that are now here bitching they have to "share" infrastructure they didn't pay for in the first place.

I have my doubts the CRTC will do anything for the little guy, look at what they did to cellphones, 2 year contracts but the prices haven't changed they now gauge you on the month to month fees. I have an old account with Bell for $40/month that gives me unlimited everything and 1GB data. My contract is now up they want me to pay $65/month for the same plan if I want to switch phones...If they force me anymore then they already have I might just go wifi mode and port my number to voip...
mr weather
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

"What stops you from being in competition with Netflix as an [over-the-top online] service?" asked Tom Pentefountas, vice-chairman of the CRTC, adding, "If the [regulatory] handcuffs are so tight, give up your license."

I love it!

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by mr weather:

said by elwoodblues:

"What stops you from being in competition with Netflix as an [over-the-top online] service?" asked Tom Pentefountas, vice-chairman of the CRTC, adding, "If the [regulatory] handcuffs are so tight, give up your license."

I love it!

What ?

And offer consumers some REAL value for their hard-earned money ?

I will be harvesting my bacon from the sky with a shotgun, before THAT happens !
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Quebecor was speaking on the latest hearings and complained that the companies like Netflix are getting a free ride, while they're straightjacketed by the CRTC.

Pentefountas, and I'm so impressed with this comment suggests to the CEO of Quebecor :

“What stops you from being in competition with Netflix as an [over-the-top online] service?” asked Tom Pentefountas, vice-chairman of the CRTC, adding, “If the [regulatory] handcuffs are so tight, give up your license.”

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 0502173/

Here's another great quote from the same article :

In an interview before the hearing began, CRTC chairman Jean-Pierre Blais suggested Netflix should not be held up as a 'bogeyman', but that TV distributors should "study why it caught the marketplace and the imagination of Canadians so well ... and then out-do them."

I cannot help but wonder what these same fellows will suggest when things (hopefully soon) get around to discussing how the incumbent Internet providers [mis]treat the IISPs and their respective subscribers ?
CanadianISP
Premium Member
join:2008-04-09
Pembroke, ON

CanadianISP to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

Rogers/Bell/Other broadcasting incumbents.
We cut the cable when our ExpressVu bill got to $130 a month - that was just ridiculous, for the questionable amount of TV we watched (questionable in quality, not quantity) - It's been over three years now and I can honestly say I don't miss it. Heck, last time I was in a hotel room, I left the TV off and used my tablet to catch up on news and entertainment.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
Now, some US cable networks are rattling their swords. Threatening to use OTT services instead of following any CRTC mandated pick and pay. But, but, isn't OTT the ultimate pick and pay? Maybe this will mean you won't have to wait over a year for each season to come to Netflix; woohoo!

»www.hollywoodreporter.co ··· n-738552
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by WhaleOilBee:

Now, some US cable networks are rattling their swords. Threatening to use OTT services instead of following any CRTC mandated pick and pay. But, but, isn't OTT the ultimate pick and pay? Maybe this will mean you won't have to wait over a year for each season to come to Netflix; woohoo!

»www.hollywoodreporter.co ··· n-738552

They can't do any of that until their contracts are up with the BDU's, unless they can argue breach if the BDU's are legally mandated to "unbundle"

Once the contracts are up or the contracts are breached...

Hear that death rattle Rogers/Bell/Videotron? That's your fat profit margins on US channels falling over dead.

NefCanuck
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

OTA in border areas solves a lot of issues for a lot of people in Canada.

Die Bell, die.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by MaynardKrebs:

OTA in border areas solves a lot of issues for a lot of people in Canada.

Die Bell, die.

Except for the US cable only networks (A&E etc.)

But if they offered an OTT solution I might be tempted to grab a channel or two (right now the only thing I'm missing from broadcast TV OTA is the Buffalo FOX affiliate)

NefCanuck

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to CanadianISP

Premium Member

to CanadianISP
said by CanadianISP:

said by milnoc:

Rogers/Bell/Other broadcasting incumbents.
We cut the cable when our ExpressVu bill got to $130 a month - that was just ridiculous, for the questionable amount of TV we watched (questionable in quality, not quantity) - It's been over three years now and I can honestly say I don't miss it. Heck, last time I was in a hotel room, I left the TV off and used my tablet to catch up on news and entertainment.

It's beyond ridicolus, a buddy of mine is paying (with NFL Sunday Ticket) over $200 with taxes.

The TV, for the most part is just backround noise, they rarely watch much else then sports and a few reality shows.