All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
zencow
join:2002-02-02
Ottawa, ON

zencow

Is Rogers "Griefing" Teksavvy Cable Customers?

I'm not much into conspiracy theories, but for the last few months I've been experiencing very annoying disconnects on my cable connection. Sometimes it's 5-10 times a day, but then there are several days without any problem. I've complained about this but received no satisfactory response from Teksavvy. We both agreed that this isn't my modem's problem.

Now, as I understand it, Teksavvy is leasing cable connections from Rogers. Wouldn't be in Rogers' interest to identify Teksavvy cable customers and aggravate them so they switch the internet provider to someone "more reliable"? I.e. Rogers...
Wheemer8
join:2005-11-30
L3S0B7

Wheemer8

Re: Is Rogers "Griefing" Teksavvy Cable Customers?

Wearing a tinfoil hat keeps this problem at bay.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to zencow

to zencow

I would look at other possibilities first... time of day, connection saturation, rain/humidity, etc.

Also, are you losing sync on your modem or is it just connection drops on a router?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to zencow

Premium Member

to zencow
Intermittent issues are hard to diagnose at times. I went thru several months fighting with Rogers at work, on a Business connection, due to intermittent but serious packetloss issues...
zencow
Ottawa, ON

zencow to JMJimmy

to JMJimmy
said by JMJimmy:

I would look at other possibilities first... time of day, connection saturation, rain/humidity, etc.

Also, are you losing sync on your modem or is it just connection drops on a router?

I'm losing sync. By far, the 2 most common messages in my modem's log are:

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
and
DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response can be safely ignored.

T3/T4 timeouts are signal quality related.
zencow
Ottawa, ON

zencow

said by HiVolt:

T3/T4 timeouts are signal quality related.

Today I've been disconnected 12 times so far. Each time it happens, the outage lasts between 2-7 minutes. Here's a new message in my modem I just got.

Init RANGING Critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

said by zencow:

Today I've been disconnected 12 times so far. Each time it happens, the outage lasts between 2-7 minutes. Here's a new message in my modem I just got.

Init RANGING Critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted

do the lights change/start flashing on your modem when it drops each time?

copy/paste your entire modem log and even the diagnostics / power level page. more details = better help

it sounds like you should be getting a repair ticket open for an intermittent signal problem. rogers might see the disconnects and book a tech even if the power levels are in range.
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

smcallah to zencow

to zencow
Yes, it would certainly be so cost effective to have someone sit around all day and single out specific customers and drop the signal on their coax.

Especially if Teksavvy is able to prove it's not them, and that would only leave Rogers being at fault. Certainly the customer would want to immediately switch to Rogers for that awesome signal dropping service.
zencow
Ottawa, ON

zencow to oceros37

to oceros37
said by oceros37:

copy/paste your entire modem log and even the diagnostics / power level page. more details = better help

My modem's log is spectacularly unhelpful, but here it is:

Time Level Description
Fri Sep 05 18:07:56 2014 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Time Not Established Critical (3) Init RANGING Critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted
Fri Sep 05 16:25:25 2014 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Time Not Established Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Sun Aug 31 13:29:32 2014 Critical (3) REG RSP not received
zencow

zencow to oceros37

to oceros37
Everything else is in range... It's an intermittent problem, but today is the mother of them all.
zencow

zencow to smcallah

to smcallah
said by smcallah:

Yes, it would certainly be so cost effective to have someone sit around all day and single out specific customers and drop the signal on their coax.

Believe it or not, I'm considering to switch the IP to Rogers, because I'm getting desperate. So yes, despite your sarcasm, it could be a real business strategy on part of Rogers.

oceros37
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

if switching to rogers were to fix your issue, it would be due to install tech fixing something during install that a repair tech could also deal with through TPIA. Or because you would typically be using a different modem after that switch.

it's more likely to be a line issue if you were placing a bet, but it -could- be the modem itself.

get a ticket open with the direct forum - post in »/forum ··· avdirect
zencow
Ottawa, ON

zencow

oceros said:

"get a ticket open with the direct forum - post in »TekSavvy Direct"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------

I did twice... The problem went away for a few days after they opened a ticket, so they closed it... As I said, it's an intermittent problem.
corellama
join:2011-05-29
Kanata, ON

corellama

When I had T3 timeout disconnections we had to get a tech to come out and look at things. After an hour of troubleshooting he discovered that squirrels had chowed the wire bare between the pole and our house, so it had no insulation.

Keep at it... you'll figure it out eventually.

oceros37
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to zencow

to zencow
said by zencow:

I did twice... The problem went away for a few days after they opened a ticket, so they closed it... As I said, it's an intermittent problem.

What kind of modem are you using - model #? Is it old? new? under warranty?

In theory that means rogers did not see any noticeable problem.
You're coming down to:
1) push again for an actual dispatch, if rogers states signals look ok, push back as intermittent / request dispatch anyway.
2) change the modem
zencow
Ottawa, ON

zencow to corellama

to corellama
said by corellama:

When I had T3 timeout disconnections we had to get a tech to come out and look at things. After an hour of troubleshooting he discovered that squirrels had chowed the wire bare between the pole and our house, so it had no insulation

Wouldn't a squirrel problem chewing on a cable imply a permanent problem?
zencow

zencow to oceros37

to oceros37
said by oceros37:

What kind of modem are you using - model #? Is it old? new? under warranty?

WebSTAR DPC2100R2

Ironically, it's the modem that I bought from Rogers originally when I subscribed to cable internet. Then I switched to Teksavvy because of better prices.

Yes , the modem is a bit old, but the fact that the problem is not regular, but intermittent, suggests that the modem isn't the problem.

oceros37
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

said by zencow:

WebSTAR DPC2100R2

Aaaaand boom goes the dynamite.

But seriously you should try a new modem. You can push for an actual tech dispatch but the fact that the problem is intermittent does not rule out the modem at all.
zencow
Ottawa, ON

zencow

I'm gonna open a ticket again... 3rd is time the charm, isn't it... after that, I'm gonna sell my soul to the devil...

oceros37
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

said by zencow:

I'm gonna open a ticket again... 3rd is time the charm, isn't it... after that, I'm gonna sell my soul to the devil...

worth a shot at repair, but that is a shame.
more a shame is that it will likely resolve your problem because i'd bet anything the modem is the problem.
dialtone
join:2010-06-19
Mississauga, ON

dialtone to zencow

to zencow
I'm in Mississauga on the wolfdale POI and I've been getting flawless cable service from Teksavvy for years up until a few weeks ago. Everyday now when I get up around 2pm in afternoon my connection is dead, power cycling the modem and router will reestablish a connection but it extremely spotting getting connection for 1min and no connection the next minute and it will play this 1min internet/1 min no internet (although windows never says my connection actually drops just the websites give the error page) for an hour or more and then at some point ill get a stable connection and it will be fine for the rest of the night till i go to sleep at 6am and then I start all over again when I wake up in the after noon to a modem with solid lights, no activity and a dead connection and we play this frustrating game all over again. At first I thought there might have been POI upgrades going on but zencow story sounds similar and whats more interesting is he is using the exact same modem (webstar dpc2100r2) that I originally bought for Rogers in their grab and go kit but there must be something going on because this modem has been working flawless with Teksavvy for years up until a few weeks ago...

P.S-im ironically playing the spotty internet game as we speak as I just got up an hour ago lol
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to zencow

to zencow
I installed those modems. They are/were/will always be the problem. They are crap. Start with replacing it.

Those for us techs are a kill on sight, we will replace one with a Motorolla SB5101, we won't even look at anything else because we are THAT sure it's the modem.

However, I didn't see you post your Signal levels, We would like to see those as well.

But kill that modem.

With fire, the fire of 1000 suns. POS.
Common problems.

No connectivity
Slow degraded speeds.
Intermittent connectivity.
High flapping.

Basically everything that could happen to a modem, happens to it.

Troubleshooting with it on your line I'd futile.

Did I encourage you to swap it?

If I forgot to mention how big a POS it is, it is the Justin Bieber of modems.
cepnot4me

cepnot4me

I'm going with a decade of cable experience, about 200 of those that were BAD brand new out of the box, Another 200 refurbished models that were just as bad. (Max attainable speeds were 3/1 no matter what you ordered and in some cases it took 20 minutes for it to even lock-up, filling the log with the type of log you posted. )

Serial numbers starting with 201xxxxxx or 207xxxxxxx were the absolute worst.

You'll also notice.. Rogers won't even give us them for swaps only the SB5100 series is provided for D2 swaps on service.

I'm not just haphazardly blaming that modem. IT needs to go.
zencow
Ottawa, ON

zencow to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
said by cepnot4me:

I installed those modems. They are/were/will always be the problem. They are crap. Start with replacing it.

Until a Teksavvy technician explicitly tells me to replace the modem, I shall refrain from such action.

digiwth
join:2012-09-21

digiwth to zencow

to zencow
If you've already submitted 3 tickets without resolution of your problem, its actually pretty surprising they haven't told you to try another modem already.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver to zencow

to zencow

said by zencow:

Wouldn't be in Rogers' interest to identify Teksavvy cable customers and aggravate them so they switch the internet provider to someone "more reliable"? I.e. Rogers...

LOL, you give Rogers too much credit. No way they would be that organized to actually pull that off. Their network just stinks, period.
dialtone
join:2010-06-19
Mississauga, ON

dialtone to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me

how much is a sb5101 gonna cost me, still don't get how this modem has worked flawlessly all these years and now all of a sudden is giving issues.
DigitalRain
join:2013-03-16

DigitalRain

said by dialtone:

how much is a sb5101 gonna cost me, still don't get how this modem has worked flawlessly all these years and now all of a sudden is giving issues.

It won't work. While your existing modem has been grandfathered, new Docsis 2.0 modems will not be activated. You might as well grab a DCM 476 (Canada Computers often has them for $75, but TekSavvy will warranty it themselves for a year if you order one from them) or hold off and get the rumoured 24x8 modem when it comes out (likely) later this year.

Rogers and other network operators are planning and building their networks under the assumption that you won't be using outdated, inefficient hardware in much the same that web developers no longer write code to work on Internet Explorer 6 (roughly the same age as DOCSIS 2) unless they are targeting end users in China or in certain enterprise niches.
coolspot18
join:2012-10-23

coolspot18 to zencow

to zencow

No, such tactics are illegal ... I don't think Rogers will do it on purpose.

Could be a change in weather - is it raining a lot in your area? Your RG-6 connectors may have gotten corroded. I had an intermittent issue with my signal levels that seemed to only occur in the morning... and it took several techs before one realized it was the connectors. They re-terminated the demarc box connector and all has been good since then.

My guess in my case is that due or condensation in the morning caused issues with the signal level.