spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Namlehse
join:2014-09-05
Claremore, OK

Namlehse

FTTP Issues

I've been looking around for a few days, having had more days without internet than with in the past few months is becoming tiresome.

We currently have UVerse FTTP, BPON, currently using a 2wire 3600. All of our issues started a few months back when we lost our original modem after two years. We currently have Max Plus, no TV or Phone. With that said, we get everything from the internet, so when the internet is out, it's really obnoxious.

In the past two months, AT&T has been at our house four to five times, replaced the modem every time, ran new cables, tried different modem models, pretty much replaced everything but the BPON. Two days ago a new Tech came out stating that the NV589's they'd be replacing didn't work with the BPONs, only GPONs. So with that in mind, he moved us back to a 3600.

Our issues range from no internet, to very slow, to moderately slow. Each modem seems to have had it's own bag of tricks. Modem replacement one would drop to 256k down, 16k up. With a simple reset it would work for a while, then go back to not functioning.

The second replacement would work for around five minutes, giving us 22/2 speeds, then not working at all. At that point pings/traceroutes would fall flat. This modem also came with a free house recabling. The tech said the original cabling was Half duplex, the 589 required full duplex (Bonded pair).

Modem three had bad ports, I think it was a dud to begin with, but it also had zero connectivity after a few days.

Now, with the 3600, we had internet for around a week, then today we're back to slow speeds again. This time just the download seems to be dropping, but it's just slowly getting lower and lower. I've tried running UVRealtime, but I only have windows 8 PC's. Even installing the updated resources then installing UVRealtime gave me headaches, said it couldn't find the modem.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them, I really want to like the FTTP service, but the past few months have been a nightmare. Cox's Internet Premier is really starting to sound like a good option.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

said by Namlehse:

Two days ago a new Tech came out stating that the NV589's they'd be replacing didn't work with the BPONs, only GPONs.

It is an ethernet handoff from the ONT to the RG. He is either lying to avoid an argument with you or communicating the message incorrectly. It is likely the deployment standard for BPON is a 3600 and GPON it is the 589 and he is required to follow that. But the 589 will work on either type of fiber connection.

Assuming everything is fine on the ONT, it is likely just an issue with bad RG hardware. I'm surprised you have run into that many bad devices in a row, though. You need to get a good tech who'll put the 589 in for you and be done with it.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Asus RT-N66

Mr Fel

Premium Member

There are two model's of GPON's in use in town, I rarely pull fiber job's but I do remember that the older model will not work with the 589, some sort of sync no service issue. The older model is a bit smaller than the inid while the newer model uses the same housing as the inid's.
Namlehse
Claremore, OK

Namlehse to rolande

to rolande
He actually asked me if I wanted to try it, said the standard now is the 589, said they would more than likely try to push it over anything else as it's become the standard.

For me, the modem doesn't matter, I generally just push it into bridge or DMZ mode, passing everything into an ASA5505. With all the issues lately, I've taken to running nothing but the gateway, a switch, and my Ubiquity AP.

With all the issues, I'm not entirely sure it's the modems. The issues are too similar (Slow speeds fixed temporarily by a modem reset?)

Aside from the 3600, all of our modems thus far have been 589's. I actually thought that might have been why UVRealtime wasn't working with it. Until then, that's all we've had (Aside from the original)

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to Namlehse

MVM,

to Namlehse
said by Namlehse:

The tech said the original cabling was Half duplex, the 589 required full duplex (Bonded pair).

I missed this when I initially skimmed through. The tech is full of shit and has no idea what he is talking about. He is making stuff up to keep you confused and from challenging or asking questions.

All copper wire is capable of full duplex, regardless of the number of copper pairs in use. Take a standard POTS telephone line for example which is a single pair of copper. Both parties can talk in either direction simultaneously and hear each other. That is full duplex. It has to do with the signaling. All VDSL connections are full duplex whether single pair or pair-bonded. There are frequency channels dedicated to carry both upstream and downstream signaling simultaneously.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U to Namlehse

Premium Member

to Namlehse
FYI the 2WIRE/Pace 3600 is not compatible with FTTP. Are you sure you have a 3600, or are you sure you are on FTTP?
Namlehse
Claremore, OK

Namlehse to rolande

to rolande
said by rolande:

All copper wire is capable of full duplex, regardless of the number of copper pairs in use.

I gathered he was an idiot, but I still posted it. He seemed to think it was only half cabled (I was assuming only part of the pairs had been punched?). The FFTP gear seems to antiquated compared to what we backhaul with I honestly didn't know what to make of it. I was assuming it was some sort of Fiber to pots conversion, which really didn't make sense.
Namlehse

1 edit

Namlehse to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

FYI the 2WIRE/Pace 3600 is not compatible with FTTP. Are you sure you have a 3600, or are you sure you are on FTTP?

Not sure of the 3600, Definitly FTTP though. Seems like every tech that comes out goes goggly eyed over the fact that we have it. I think that's part of the problem too, they don't seem to have much of it in the area. Because our area is a recent development we're copperless.

Edit:
After a quick text to my wife, we now have a 3800HGV-B

Looks pretty ratty too.