Search similar:

uniqs
gussie
join:2014-09-05
USA

1 edit

gussie

[Speed] Slow as heck: Comcast HSI 50/10 w SB6141

Hope you can help me, as I am struggling with super slow internet. Powering the modem and router off and on several times has helped, but my service is still extremely sub par.

I am a new at this whole online help thing so I hope I am posting the right info. Many thanks for any insight you can provide.

Gussie

1) Location: Alexandria, VA

2) Issue: painfully, painfully slow internet

3) It started off occasionally slow over the last few weeks, but now it is an all the time thing. I powered everything on and off, which sped it up a quite a bit. (Once it eventually loaded, speedtest showed it as 1.25/2.25 or thereabout several times earlier today.)

4) Motorola SB6141 - SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH (my own modem)

5) Running with an Asus RT n56u router (Comcast-supplied splitter before the modem)

6) On my laptop, I have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise (8.8.0.849) and Endpoint Encryption (5.2.12)

If you have an issue with slow or fluctuating speed:

• Subscribed to 50/10

• Speed test: 8.50/3.25 ping:17ms (»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 4984.png)

• ShaperProbe:
Connected to server 38.106.70.149.
Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 2837 Kbps.
Downstream: 84555 Kbps.
The measurement will take upto 3.0 minutes. Please wait.
Checking for traffic shapers:
Upstream: Burst size: 10774-10851 KB;
Shaping rate: 784 Kbps.
Downstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate.

• Tweak Test n/a

• Using Chrome Version 37.0.2062.103 m
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Re: [Speed] Slow as heck -- Comcast HSI 50/10

You failed to provide your signal levels, which are very important.

»192.168.100.1/cmSignal.htm
gussie
USA

gussie

Re: [Speed] Slow as heck -- Comcast HSI 50/10 w/ SB6141

Click for full size
SB6141 Signals
Thanks, ExoticFish. Sorry about that. Here are my signal levels, attached in jpg. Hope that helps.

Just in case it's the modem, I Amazon Primed a Zoom 5341, and it will arrive in a few days. I'd rather use the one I already have, as I purchased it a few months ago to upgrade from a 3-year old 2.0 modem. It worked like a charm when I first switched it into my setup, but now it's killing me softly with the slow internet.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Gussie
gussie

gussie

Click for full size
Oops. Just realized there is more to the signals page. Here's the rest.

-Gussie
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to gussie

Premium Member

to gussie

Re: [Speed] Slow as heck: Comcast HSI 50/10 w SB6141

I've been hearing the current version of the 6141 firmware is broken and causes extremely slow speeds. A temporary fix is to reboot the modem over and over until the speeds are better. Apparently a test version of a new firmware is available from comcast.

»[Speed] SB6141 Speed Problems - HELP!
»[Connectivity] SB6141 rebooting every 6 hours
»[Speed] Speed Issues with SB1641
gussie
USA

gussie

Thanks, Daemon. Once I started digging, I realized that may be the problem. I sure wish I could get my hands on the test version of the firmware.

My parents, who are brand new Comcast customers in TX, are dealing with the very same issue, as I bought them an SB6141. They are ready to move back to Uverse.

Just rebooted the SB6141 several times and ended up with speedtest result of 67.31/3.1: »stage.results.speedtest. ··· 6884.png

Crazy that a reset seems to fix it somewhat, but it won't stay that way for long. If anyone has a long term solution, I am all ears.

Gussie

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by gussie:

Thanks, Daemon. Once I started digging, I realized that may be the problem. I sure wish I could get my hands on the test version of the firmware.

Well, netcool See Profile has said that if you PM him with your info, he can get you the test version:

said by netcool:

said by train_wreck:

is this rolled out nationwide yet? still not seeing it in Nashville TN

Not yet. Still in trials. If you are experiencing the issue please send me a PM with your info.

gussie
USA

gussie

Wow. That is great info. Thanks so much, Telcodad! I just PMed Netcool, and I am keeping my fingers crossed. I will update this thread with the outcome.

When I purchased this modem, I was looking forward to actually getting the full Comcast Blast experience. It has been quite a let down to have to power cycle the modem so often and/or live with molasses-in-winter speeds.

Gussie

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Tobin

I first alerted Comcast of this issue over 1.5 years ago when I bought my SB6141. Of course they refused to believe it was a firmware or compatibility issue on their end, instead blaming my set-up or hardware failure.

Even after multiple identical reports from other customers came in, they ignored our discussion. A couple weeks, months without a fix, I can understand that. Nearly two years? Inexcusable.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by Tobin:

Even after multiple identical reports from other customers came in, they ignored our discussion. A couple weeks, months without a fix, I can understand that. Nearly two years? Inexcusable.

funny how after all this time, they're finally testing out a firmware fix.

though this sounds like a Motorola firmware problem, and not strictly a Comcast problem. but who knows.
gussie
USA

gussie

All I know is it is *very* annoying. When I first logged on this morning, my speedtest was at 127 Mbps down. An hour later, it was back down to 1-2 Mbps. I have rebooted 5 times, and I am now at 0.11 Mbps down and hung up at 54% on the speedtest.

Thanks to you guys, I know Netcool is trying to help me fix it. In the meantime, I am trying to remain calm.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

I have the 6141 and have never once had any issues with the current firmware or the test firmware from Netcool. From what I have been reading it seems this is a issue only in some markets and not others. If you do have the issues going to a Zoom 5341J is a sure fix. Netcool has also reported some people are still having the same issue even with the new beta build.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

I have been using the SB6141 for several months now and have no issues with my speed.

gussie
USA

gussie

I wish I could say the same. This is as good as it gets, after power cycling at least ten times today. I have a Zoom 5341J on the way, but I really would rather not eat the SB6141.

Jim721
Belleville, MI

Jim721

Are you sure your problem is the one described ? Normally the problem does not cause the upstream to slow only the downstream. Did you PM Netcool to get you the trial firmware and see if it helps ?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to ExoticFish

MVM

to ExoticFish
said by Jim721:

I have the 6141 and have never once had any issues with the current firmware or the test firmware from Netcool. From what I have been reading it seems this is a issue only in some markets and not others. If you do have the issues going to a Zoom 5341J is a sure fix. Netcool has also reported some people are still having the same issue even with the new beta build.

said by ExoticFish:

I have been using the SB6141 for several months now and have no issues with my speed.

It sounds like the market-by-market occurrences of this issue could be due to the way a particular make/model of CMTS, or the version of software/firmware that it runs, interacts with the SB6141.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to gussie

to gussie
Did you mention if these tests are done wirelessly or via an Ethernet connection ?
gussie
USA

gussie

I was connected wirelessly in previous tests. Netcool hooked me up with the beta firmware, and here are the results. NOTE: This speedtest was done on an Ethernet connection.

Thanks, everyone!

Jim721
Belleville, MI

Jim721

Hey excellent hope it stays working for you. Please post back if you have any issues.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to gussie

to gussie
Well, honestly... To have only tested wirelessly initially then testing via Ethernet AFTER a beta firmware was issued doesn't exactly mean it was a firmware issue. I was starting to wonder if it was only a wireless problem. Security setting for example.

What speed do you get now, wirelessly ?
gussie
USA

gussie

I am an idiot and didn't test the ethernet speed this weekend, even though I did on previous days. Sorry about that. Here's what my wireless speed looks like now. Netcool sent me over to the wireless forum to see what's going on with my router, though I suspect it could just be time for a new one. I still have the Asus RT-N56U.

I want to thank all of you for helping me with this issue. Seriously -- what a great forum.