dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
a7thton
join:2014-01-23

a7thton

[HSI] Internet drops out every afternoon...what can I do to help?

For the past two week my internet has been dropping out almost every afternoon, between 11-3. On my modem I can see that it fails to establish an upload connection. The download light attains a solid connection, but the modem can't establish an upload connection.

A tech have been out two times. Both claimed my inside levels were fine and that it must be an issue at the pole.

They made some adjustments at the pole, but it is not fixed. Another tech is coming tomorrow.

I only have 1 TV hooked up and I also have Charter VOIP. I tried unhooking my DVR when the internet dropped, but that didn't help.

I have two modems, one for internet and one for VOIP. They both go down at the same time.

Questions:

-do the techs have a way to access my modem's logs to see when drop-outs occur?
-any guesses why this could happen? It is only during those times, otherwise it is fine. The techs have told me they can see spikes of "noise" during those times and that that is what is causing my internet to drop out. How are they seeing this information?
-if the issue continues, how should I attempt to escalate the problem?
-is there anything I can do on my end?

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant

Yes, techs can see the modem statistics (much more than the end-user can see via the modem diagnostics) and are logged.

You'll just have to be persistent should the issue continue. Since this is an intermittent issue, a look at your upstream level and noise history would be helpful. Why this, apparently, hasn't been done yet is odd. It's not all uncommon to find techs that don't check the historical modem data. In my opinion, it's because some techs lack the knowledge or desire to analyze trends in signal data and isolate where abnormalities originate, and how to fix them.

There's little you can do to resolve the issue without knowing what is causing the problem to begin with.
a7thton
join:2014-01-23

a7thton

Thanks. Thing is, my internet was just installed in February and was fine up until this started happening.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant

This is just an example and may not be the cause of your particular issue, but I noticed an odd pattern in my signal levels and increased latency with my connection about a year ago. So, I asked an acquaintance of mine who is a system tech to take a look. He found the tap behind my home had significant internal corrosion - the rubber gasket to keep out the elements had failed allowing rain to enter the housing. He replaced the tap and all has been well since.
jasons21
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23
Birmingham, AL

jasons21 to a7thton

Premium Member

to a7thton
I was having the same issue and replacing the ground block, like passerby stated above, resolved it for me too.