Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
join:2001-12-05
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

Deciding on a new case and video card

I was looking at this case »www.ncixus.com/products/ ··· oid=1303
For a new build i'm doing.. I'm just checking on compatibility ..

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-Pro (V Edition) ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($165.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($94.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

I just did a rebuild on my system using that same Corsair 750D. I can't recommend it enough. It's got awesome cable management, a huge side window to show off your whole build, built in dust filters, great airflow, and it just looks clean as hell and simple on the outside.

Regarding the GPU. You're going to have to give more info to us on that.

1. What is your budget?
2. What resolution are you gaming at, or plan to game at in the future?
3. What type games do you play or plan on playing? The most graphically demanding new titles, or something along the lines of Sims 4?

Anyway, that'll be a nice ass build depending on which GPU you go with. Only thing I would change personally is the CPU cooler. Even though those Noctuas are really nice, they take up a ton of room and are expensive. For roughly $15 more you could go with a H100i (which net superb results) and make your build look a hell of a lot cleaner.

Mentat
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Houston, TX

Mentat to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
Nvidia is set to release info/prices/whatever about the 9 series GPUs this month. If you can hold off until then, there may be some churn in existing stock that could net you a great deal.

If not, a new R9 290 for ~$350 is hard to beat.

Helios
Premium Member
join:2013-11-04
Kitimat, BC

Helios to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
The only question that I'll ask is why you are going with a Z87 based board instead of Z97? You get some nice features with Z97 such as M.2 and S-ATA Express support.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

Humm well budget was one of my considerations .. but what is M.2?

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Mentat

MVM

to Mentat
said by Mentat:

Nvidia is set to release info/prices/whatever about the 9 series GPUs this month. If you can hold off until then, there may be some churn in existing stock that could net you a great deal.

If not, a new R9 290 for ~$350 is hard to beat.

Well said but the OP has yet to describe what use case / type of games he has in mind. Therefore its hard to say what GPU would be most suitable.

Not sure this means anything but then there is this:
quote:
NVIDIA Tweaking GeForce GTX 770 Price to Compete with R9 285

NVIDIA's response to AMD Radeon R9 285 isn't major (a new product launch). The company believes it already has the products out there to take on it. The company is likely working with add-in card partners, and retailers, to tweak pricing of its performance-segment GeForce GTX 770 2GB, bringing its price around the US $275 mark, $25 more than the cheapest R9 285, and roughly the same price as factory-overclocked ones. Its pricing is down from the $325 point it was hovering over.

»www.techpowerup.com/2048 ··· 285.html

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

Right now i just play World of Tanks regularly.. I'm using a sager laptop for that with an i7cpu 2.3 ghz..and nvida 460gtx gpu.. i want to get back into flight sims ..

I think i may wait a bit and see what nvida comes out with .. humm maybe i should have did the water cooling.. oh well i can always exchange it..

Here's where i started asking about
»[motherboard] Computer just decided to stop working

Mentat
Premium Member
Houston, TX

Mentat to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

Well said but the OP has yet to describe what use case / type of games he has in mind. Therefore its hard to say what GPU would be most suitable.

True, yet putting a top of the line i7 with anything less than an upper echelon GPU is a cardinal sin, imo.

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium Member
join:2003-02-16
Sedro Woolley, WA

cyrus360 to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
I love those Silverstone cases with the 90 degree motherboard mounts. I hve an FT02 myself. The new RV02-E looks sweet too.

»www.silverstonetek.com/r ··· en&top=C

Mentat
Premium Member
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

Mentat to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
Here's an idea:

Stepped up to Z97 chipset, dropped RAM from 16GB to 8GB, R9 290.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($167.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($78.30 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1661.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-06 11:15 EDT-0400

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

Octavean to Mentat

MVM

to Mentat
said by Mentat:

said by Octavean:

True, yet putting a top of the line i7 with anything less than an upper echelon GPU is a cardinal sin, imo.

I don't take such a hard line on such things. For me it depends on the use case of the user and the budget. Since the OP mentioned "World of Tanks" and Flight SIMs I tend to think the GPU requirements doesn't necessitate a monster graphics card.

The OP would probably be fine with a GTX 770 / 760 or AMD R9 280-ish card. Although an older GTX 660 class card would probably be fine too,...

Edit:
said by Rungel:

humm maybe i should have did the water cooling.. oh well i can always exchange it..

I don't think the Nuctua is a bad choice unless you have space constraints with respect to components on the board like RAM for example. Its a great cooling solution that uses mass and design to its advantage.

I look at it this way, its a simple solution with fewer points of possible failure.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

said by Octavean See Profile
I don't think the Nuctua is a bad choice unless you have space constraints with respect to components on the board like RAM for example. Its a great cooling solution that uses mass and design to its advantage.

I look at it this way, its a simple solution with fewer points of possible failure.

[/bquote :

Right on that's what i was thinking..

Mentat
Premium Member
Houston, TX

Mentat to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

The OP would probably be fine with a GTX 770 / 760 or AMD R9 280-ish card.

Again, i agree with you, yet he'd also be fine with an i5 or a non K CPU as well.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel to Helios

Premium Member

to Helios
Checking out the Z97 with M2.. From what i understand the SSD drive i'm buying would not be supported with M2? This can be pretty confusing..

Helios
Premium Member
join:2013-11-04
Kitimat, BC

Helios

Premium Member

M.2 is an expansion slot for onboard storage solutions, also referrred to as PCI Express SSD. No power cables, no S-ATA cables. The price really good as well. $240 for a Plextor M6e 256GB SSD.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 recommendation

norwegian to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel

SSD is lower in speeds to it's brother the pcie card.
Read/writes are considerably different.
M.2 sounds half way between the 2.

I picked the Z87 simply for last gen and reliability.
If you want the latest it would certainly be an upgrade with extra fruit.
However if you want your last build to be reliable and strong, the newest hardware isn't always the answer.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel to Helios

Premium Member

to Helios
So i'm curious now will this drive i picked "Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive" is supported with the Z97? I mean can i just plug it in with no cables..?

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean

MVM

said by Rungel:

So i'm curious now will this drive i picked "Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive" is supported with the Z97? I mean can i just plug it in with no cables..?

It would work fine with Z87 or Z97 based boards. You'll need to use a SATA data and power cable though.

I've heard M.2 can be faster (probably depending on controller and number of lanes) but such M.2 SSD units would be more expensive. SATAe would be more expensive as well.

Personally I've been looking at the Asus X99-Deluxe motherboard which has M.2 support but I would just use an Intel 330 240GB SSD that I already have.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

I'm reading online that a few people have been having problems with the Z87 board and the Intel Core i7-4790K i just ordered. A BIOS thing.. and since i don't have another cpu to use to update the BIOS i guess I'll rma the board for the Z97..

Mentat
Premium Member
Houston, TX

Mentat

Premium Member

I believe that the supported boards are coming from the factory with the new BIOS.

However, for the price, you should just go ahead and buy a Z97 anyways.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Well I've started the build.. newegg disappointed me .. i returned the Z87 for replacement for the Z97.. but found the Z97 for a good deal on Amazon. So i called and asked if i could have a refund. They said i had to pay a restocking fee because i opened the package and broke the seals.. which was bull.. there were no seals to break.. i did flip the box cover open to look but never took the board out.. I've seen lots of complaints on the net about this.. not just newegg but Asus sends out MB with no seals on packaging. In fact the Z97 i got had no seals at all.. if anyone sees anything that could be different please suggest here..
Rungel

Rungel

Premium Member

One thing i wanted to ask about .. i used a Y connector for the CPU cooler.. connected to the cpu cooler fan connector.. .. is that ok?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

The processor fan must be connect to the motherboard on a certain location which is usually close to the processor, otherwise they won't turn on if that's what you mean.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
Click for full size
cpu fan # 1 & 2-optional
Click for full size
Cool, looks like it will be a nice build.

On the CPU fan, there are 2 connectors for these so you should not need a Y-connector.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

1 edit

Rungel

Premium Member

Yes that's what i was figuring.. i'll look at that again.. i see

Ok i'll use the cpu_fan and cpu_opt ..

Mentat
Premium Member
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

Mentat

Premium Member

You have the air cooler on upside down. The fans should be pushing/pulling towards the rear exhaust. You can just move them around but that is not the optimum setup.
Mentat

Mentat

Premium Member

Like this:

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Good pick.

It didn't look right that way being so close to the external venting fan.
If I'm correct, the fans can be swapped without needing to drop it out and reverse it?

Mentat
Premium Member
Houston, TX

Mentat

Premium Member

Correct. They have retainers and are easily maneuvered.
Mentat

Mentat to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
said by Rungel:

Yes that's what i was figuring.. i'll look at that again.. i see

Ok i'll use the cpu_fan and cpu_opt ..

I use the supplied Noctua y-splitter to save a fan header. Run it off of CPU_FAN.