spc
Search similar:

uniqs

fritz43
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14

fritz43

Premium Member

PeerBlock won't let NewsBlock traffic through, apparently.

Having trouble with XNews and NewsBlock when PeerBlock is active, yet Astraweb works fine. Anyone else notice this? I want to use BlockNews as makeup newsfeed, since Astraweb has gotten much worse on incompletes.

Any way to have PeerBlock & BlockNews make nice? Thanks in advance.

(FYI specific error msg is 400 Can't connect. NB connect error 1460.)

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

Have you tried adding them to you're list to allow? Could also disable it temporarily.

By the way, Hi neighbor! I live down south of you atleast 40 miles.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to fritz43

Premium Member

to fritz43
Peerblock has blocked us for years. With good reason I am sure they do not allow an easy way to get removed from their block lists. About the only thing you can do is add the IP addresses (3 of them) to the white list.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to fritz43

to fritz43
Click for full size
Ok, toke me sometime since I had to learn (see the steps in the browser in the background?) how to make such a screenshot but here it is.. I know my windows appearance looks different than all you'res but the orange color inside the window mean selected. Just select the address's then click permanently allow.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to fritz43

Premium Member

to fritz43
I believe the settings area of peer block also allow you to white list specific IP addresses. Blocknews has three so these should be entered. 198.186.190.120, 198.186.190.126, 198.186.190.149

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to fritz43

Premium Member

to fritz43
I will get on my soapbox and say publicly available blocklists are useless, at best, and at worst, harmful. The people you are trying to avoid can just download these and use different netblocks. In fact, they can do this in conjunction with using ones within the block to identify list users aka habitual downloaders/sharers in their eyes(read an article from a former copyright enforcer a long time ago for that info, who resigned because he did not agree with the ethics). Then there is the blocking of legit peers whose ISP either swapped IP blocks(I was the victim of that once) or the block was erroneous in the first place. Then there is the issue you are currently experiencing, if you wonder how my post is relevant. Sure, you can whitelist or allow an http bypass(which would defeat the peer blocker if the agency uses port 80 for their client knowing this!). Bottom line, resource usage and work that is nearly as likely to be useful as it is to cause issues.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to fritz43

to fritz43
Yeah so in a shorter way of understanding: If you are connected to the net, you are without any doubt being looked at. The only way to cut off the visibility and keep anyone from doing so, unplug you're internet cable. In fact what a better idea to do is completely shut off you're ISP so that nothing is coming in and violating you're privacy.

I've noticed alot of websites can get around PB just to show you their ads and such junk so PB IMO is pure useless, does not help anything.

fritz43
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14

fritz43

Premium Member

Solved the prob, by the way - just added their IP to the PB allow lists. Bingo! Has already paid for itself.