spc
Search similar:

uniqs

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj

How to get the best deal?

Looking to switch from WOW Cable due to the issues with the services (losing random HD channels, pixelation on the HD channels, T3/T4 timeouts causing my internet to go out every couple of days even though signal looks good).

Currently getting Digital TV Basic, 15/2 internet with 3 boxes (2 HD, 1 SD) from WOW for $104.71 (after taxes & fees). I own my cable modem. The TWC website says that comparable services and equipment (Preferred TV + 15/1 Standard internet + 2 HD boxes with my owned modem) would run about $113 before taxes and fees. Is there a magic number or other means of contact/avenue I can try other than the 800-892-2253 and 855-243-8892 numbers to get a better price? I tried the first number but had no luck with the overseas call center, probably because I called so late (about an hour ago).

I read in a thread on the Comcast forum that folks got the best deals from door-to-door reps, but no TWC door-to-reps have come to my house yet (maybe TWC doesn't do that?).

I have a Motorola SB6141 running the 1.0.6.13 firmware but went back to my old Cisco DPC2100R2. I had issues with daily T3/T4 timeouts and reboots due to T4 timeouts every 1-3 days on WOW with a good signal with the SB6141... wondering if I'll have the same problems on TWC?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give!
slyphoxj

slyphoxj

I called TWC today (well, yesterday actually since it's now about 36 minutes past midnight ). The best they could do for Standard (15/1) internet + Preferred TV with two non-DVR HD boxes is $120ish or $108 with one HD box and run the TWC App on my Roku. $16 more for WOW for the same stuff basically.

So I placed an online order for Standard internet only for $34.99 for a year and gonna leave the TV on WOW for now. WOW will reduce the bill by $30 for dropping internet, so the total monthly will be only about $5 more between TWC and WOW.

Damn... $85 to get HD cable on two TV's... ouch. Basic 70-ish channel analog was only about $26 about 12-14 years ago on Adelphia here. What a screwjob we're getting now .
Satch
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

Satch

said by slyphoxj:

I called TWC today (well, yesterday actually since it's now about 36 minutes past midnight ). The best they could do for Standard (15/1) internet + Preferred TV with two non-DVR HD boxes is $120ish or $108 with one HD box and run the TWC App on my Roku. $16 more for WOW for the same stuff basically.

So I placed an online order for Standard internet only for $34.99 for a year and gonna leave the TV on WOW for now. WOW will reduce the bill by $30 for dropping internet, so the total monthly will be only about $5 more between TWC and WOW.

Damn... $85 to get HD cable on two TV's... ouch. Basic 70-ish channel analog was only about $26 about 12-14 years ago on Adelphia here. What a screwjob we're getting now .

What I would do is go to the TWC Direct to Tech Forum and mention what the competition is giving you. Don't say bad stuff about TWC at the Direct to Tech forum, but nicely point out the price difference between what the phone rep offered you and WOW's deal.

Unfortunately, you're not going to be able to get a price from over ten years ago. The rates of inflation will not allow that. But I think you're going to be able to get a better deal than what TWC gave you on the phone. Post your topic, select Customer Service in the drop-down box, and see what TWC can offer you at the Direct Forum. Here is that forum: (You can start posting with your same screen name as you have here.)

»/fo ··· erdirect

Satch

spdickey
join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey to slyphoxj

to slyphoxj
The direct sales guys have the best offers. Either wait for one to come knocking on your door, try to find on at an event like a home show or county fair, or look up to see if a direct sales outfit (sometimes a third party company) is hiring in your town. Call them and they'll get you in contact with a rep.

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj to Satch

to Satch
said by Satch:

said by slyphoxj:

What I would do is go to the TWC Direct to Tech Forum and mention what the competition is giving you. Don't say bad stuff about TWC at the Direct to Tech forum, but nicely point out the price difference between what the phone rep offered you and WOW's deal.

Unfortunately, you're not going to be able to get a price from over ten years ago. The rates of inflation will not allow that. But I think you're going to be able to get a better deal than what TWC gave you on the phone. Post your topic, select Customer Service in the drop-down box, and see what TWC can offer you at the Direct Forum. Here is that forum: (You can start posting with your same screen name as you have here.)

»/fo ··· erdirect

Satch

I just gave this a shot... hopefully the Direct guys can beat the phone guy's deal.
slyphoxj

slyphoxj to spdickey

to spdickey
said by spdickey:

The direct sales guys have the best offers. Either wait for one to come knocking on your door, try to find on at an event like a home show or county fair, or look up to see if a direct sales outfit (sometimes a third party company) is hiring in your town. Call them and they'll get you in contact with a rep.

Your suggestion worked... thanks! I got a call from a lady from TWC's social media sales (or whatever it was called). She was able to give me a better deal than the previous phone reps could.

I went ahead and added TV yesterday... gonna go get the boxes from the TWC depot later today.

$34.99 Standard Internet (15/1), promo till 9/2016
$0.00 Modem lease fee (I own mine )
$49.99 Preferred TV (appears to be more channels than WOW's Digital Basic), 1 year promo
$2.25 broadcast fee (less than WOW's, and WOW is raising theirs from $3.50 on 11/1, *and* tacking on an additional $2 "Sports Surcharge" (although WOW waived my broadcast fee)
$11.25 (or was it $12) for 2 non-DVR HD boxes ($11.25 for one, the other is free)

Total: $104.change. I also get analog channels, Look Back, Start Over and the TWC App for the Roku that WOW doesn't have.

OK deal... for now... we'll just have to see how much of a "me too" TWC pulls with the extra surcharge BS to "keep up" with WOW.

I really wish I could talk my mom into "cutting the cord" and going internet only with OTA for the locals. She watches CNN, etc. a lot... I don't guess there are really any online substitutes for the cable news channels?
nutsterrt
join:2009-03-12
Granville, OH

nutsterrt

You got a call back that fast? Impressive. I'm trying to convince them to match or even come close to a U-verse promotion and keep me a customer and I can't seem to get anyone who knows what they're doing despite having tried various channels since Friday...

Guess I'll keep the AT&T install appointment
BikeRider64
join:2006-05-02
Fresh Meadows, NY

BikeRider64 to slyphoxj

to slyphoxj
At the risk of jinxing myself or waking a sleeping beast, I don't exactly recall how I did it, but I was able to get a REALLY nice deal from TW when we switched plans from cable only to cable and internet several years ago.

Previously we were paying over $100 for 2 SD STBs and TW's top tier of service without any premium channels. I was able to get a "promotional" deal where we got the same channel tier as before, swapped one of the SD STBs for an HD CableCard, and added 15/1 internet using my modem, for around $85 total, including taxes and fees.

I was told that it was only for 6 months or so, but that was over 2 years ago, and they've never raised the price or told me that the promotional period was ending. Perhaps the rep who switched us to this plan forgot to check off some setting on their screen telling their system to bump us back to regular pricing after X months. I don't know and don't really care. All I know is we're getting a really good deal that we'd be stupid to give up on.

Thing is, in my experience you can always get similarly good deals if you don't mind negotiating and asking for their latest deals when the old ones end and are willing to threaten to leave them. I was able to do this with Comcast on the west coast for nearly a decade.

Retail, as they say, really is for suckers.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to be persistent!

SoCalDude
join:2008-07-30
Oxnard, CA

SoCalDude to slyphoxj

to slyphoxj
Here's a recent thread over at slickdeals about a few people getting TWC Extreme 200/20 for $35/month.

»slickdeals.net/f/7235764 ··· ymmv?v=1

It seems different people just have different luck when getting deals.