Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO

8 recommendations

jopfef

MVM

[Pets] Bath and a haircut...

Manny was scheduled to have a bath and a haircut today. He and Inky went out for a walk, came back about 10 minutes later, and he had rolled in something "dead" and stunk to high heavens. He was immediately remanded to the sink for cleanup. On top of this, I had just washed dishes, so threw a big piece of plastic over the still-wet dishes, for their protection.

Round #1 was with Dawn. It gets stuff off of dogs (and other critters) like no other shampoo does; it's the best.

Round #2 was with Adams Flea shampoo; better safe than sorry.

Round #3 was with a hypoallergenic shampoo because Manny has sensitive skin.

To say he was mad at me is a classic understatement.

After he was clean and wrapped up in a clean towel, we retired to the bedroom and I blew him dry with my hair dryer. His coat was whistle-stop clean, it felt like silk, and he smelled like green apples because of the Dawn. He popped up on the couch to rest, and I went to the kitchen to clean up the sink. Came back to this.

I decided that since he was immaculately clean, this would be the best time for his haircut. I took a break about an hour later, as did Manny. If he could give me the EVIL EYE any worse than he did here, I'd be dead.

And then another break a couple of hours later, along with a nice pile of hair. This came off his body; probably 5-6 inches long, because he was way overdue for a haircut. By the time I got to this point, his head, feet, legs, and tummy were all finished; just had to do his main body and his tail.

So this is the final result, and I apologize for the quality of the picture; I'll get a better one in the daylight. I ran him out to go potty, along with Inky; they're best buddies and always go outside together.

So, he's tired, I'm tired, and it's time to call it a night and head off the the Land of Nod.

Oh, in case you're wondering, Manny weighs just a little over 5 pounds. Inky weighs around 11 pounds, twice his size. They sleep under the covers with me.

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL

santy

MVM

Jo, is Manny a YorkiePoo? He looks like it and is about the right size and weight as far as I know. I'm just curious you know? I have a friend with a YorkiePoo and he weighs around 7 pounds now.. He has the Big dog syndrome in a little dog body.

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

2 recommendations

jopfef

MVM

said by santy:

Jo, is Manny a YorkiePoo?

Santy, he's a purebred Yorkie, and I rescued him from a horrific living situation when he was about 11-12 weeks old (per my vet). It was a long haul to get him housebroken (two years), and getting him to eat was another whole story too. He now goes poopy in the grass up by the road, then runs down the driveway for a big hug.

He was also the worst and most finicky eater I've ever had to deal with; he would stop eating with no warning. Can't tell you how many times I had to haul him off to the vet for yet another round of steroids and Vitamin B-Complex injections; it was the only thing that would kickstart him into eating again -- and it had everything to do with how he started out in life. Finding a food that he would eat was an unending battle that went on for close to three years; believe me when I say I've paid for every dog food that they sell in Petsmart, to try and get him to eat! There was a food demo one weekend at Petsmart, and I had Manny with me that day. I was talking to a rep, and she guaranteed me that he would eat their dog food (can't remember the name of it right now...); she had a sample there, and amazingly, he scarfed it down! So I bought a bag home, and he ate it for several weeks and then started to slow down on eating again. In the meantime, I changed Inky, Dusty, and Missey over to a turkey/barley based food, due to Inky blowing out on yet another round of allergies. I was filling food bowls one evening, and Manny jumped into the storage bucket and started to eat their food! He's never stopped eating since that time. Being as how he's little, and is a slow eater (one kibble at a time), he sits next to me on the dog couch and eats there, so that the rest of the h(d)ogs in this house can't steal his food. It took a year for him to finally fill out and get up to his proper weight, but I've never looked back since he took off eating. He gets dry food in the morning, and a teaspoon of wet food with his kibble at night; it can take him up to 30 minutes to eat each time, but most of the time it's usually cleaned up in 10 minutes or less. He also eats the same amount of food that Dusty and Inky both eat; my vet told me that Yorkies have an extremely high metabolism and it takes alot of food to keep them going. That was a classic understatement, if ever there was one!

Oh, yeah... Big dog syndrome... Oh, yeah. He has it, alright; poor Chance has been nailed by Manny on more than one occasion! Manny will bite Chance's front legs if he gets too close, and Chance (not the brightest bulb...) has finally figured out that he has to be careful around Manny. And whenever my neighbor walks his crew of dogs, all of them big dogs except the Doxie, Manny will stand at the top of the driveway and bark at them! He is smart enough to stay put though, a good thing, since my neighbor has an aggressive Pit Bull that is an accident waiting to happen. (She's already put him through hand surgery.) Manny may be small, but he is mighty!!!

He's a happy boy now, healthy, and eats well, so that's all I care about.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

1 recommendation

Santa Fe to jopfef

to jopfef
Maybe you might consider music lessons?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· YHOcLjOg

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef

MVM

said by Santa Fe:

Maybe you might consider music lessons?

Ohmigawd, SF!

ROFLMAO!!!

Manny would have to be a REAL big dog to play like that -- LOL!!!

TwoFrogs
Times Fun when You're Having Flies
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Redlands, CA

2 recommendations

TwoFrogs to jopfef

MVM

to jopfef
♫ ♪ Shave and a Haircut, Two Bits! ♮ ♫ ♪

Even I am not old enough to remember that

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL

2 recommendations

santy

MVM

said by TwoFrogs:

♫ ♪ Shave and a Haircut, Two Bits! ♮ ♫ ♪

Even I am not old enough to remember that

I'm only 57 and I've heard that before..(real old barber told me) my dad also used to use that phrase..
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
join:2001-06-18
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx to jopfef

Premium Member

to jopfef
I have a Shi'Tzu that will roll in whatever he can find if I don't pay attention when we walk him. And the food thing is not as bad as you describe, but we have them on Merrik now because he won't eat much else.
I give him and his little sister ground turkey mixed with white rice in the evening and leave the dry food out. The little girl (11 lbs) is allergic to chicken, sensitive stomach, etc...but will eat anything and everything. We had to stop trying store bought moist food as she would clean the bowl and then return it to us on the rug.