Mosalar
join:2014-02-08
Tampa, FL
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66
Asus RT-AC56

Mosalar

[Tampa] Echo Issues and Praise

We've had echo for about a month now and so far so good(knocks repeatedly on wooden desk). But after the initial debacle with setup, I want advice before trying to configure it to my liking.
Before echo I had the BHN router in a bedroom office, a cisco router in the master bedroom and a dlink router in my shed(the dlink and cisco set as ap's). This setup worked great except for the constant dropping of the dlink. The pre-echo Arris had, imo, a very weak output. We use the chromecast daily and the BHN router is approx 12' from the tv with a wall in between. Before echo, I could never get over 50% signal on the chromecast. With the new Arris router, the chromecast gets a solid 97% signal and we happily stream 1080p again. The AP's also deliver great signal and reach all parts of the house and yard with ease.
The problem - I want to use my own ssid and pswd.
When the installers were here(subs not bhn) they had the echo stuff up and running in under 20 mins. As they were cleaning up, I asked to change the ssid and pswd. They immediately started crying. They said that anytime you change anything in the routers settings, you have to re-pair the ap's. I thought this was very weird but didn't argue. I went and grabbed the 2 ap's and brought them to the installers to setup again. I changed the ssid and pswd and things went downhill from there. 4.5 hours and two beat up installers later, I was back to the stock ssid and pswd. They had spent 4 hours on the phone with their tech support and had switched out 5 ap's before getting it to work again. The installers said that the ssid and pswd cannot be changed.

Sooooo.

Is this true? Can the ssid and pswd not be changed? Do you really have to re-pair the ap's with any change?
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

Changing the SSID's is a matter of hitting the WPS button on the router/AP... Worst case the WPS fails and you have to do it manually which takes roughly 3 minutes...

I would consider this to be more of an installation issue (Which happens with a brand new product unfortunately) then a hardware/software issue.

I Would agree, the Echo service is phenomenal and have seen so many less issues since it has been released. It is truly a game changing service offering in my opinion
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Mosalar

Premium Member

to Mosalar
said by Mosalar:

We've had echo for about a month now and so far so good(knocks repeatedly on wooden desk). But after the initial debacle with setup, I want advice before trying to configure it to my liking.
Before echo I had the BHN router in a bedroom office, a cisco router in the master bedroom and a dlink router in my shed(the dlink and cisco set as ap's). This setup worked great except for the constant dropping of the dlink. The pre-echo Arris had, imo, a very weak output. We use the chromecast daily and the BHN router is approx 12' from the tv with a wall in between. Before echo, I could never get over 50% signal on the chromecast. With the new Arris router, the chromecast gets a solid 97% signal and we happily stream 1080p again. The AP's also deliver great signal and reach all parts of the house and yard with ease.
The problem - I want to use my own ssid and pswd.
When the installers were here(subs not bhn) they had the echo stuff up and running in under 20 mins. As they were cleaning up, I asked to change the ssid and pswd. They immediately started crying. They said that anytime you change anything in the routers settings, you have to re-pair the ap's. I thought this was very weird but didn't argue. I went and grabbed the 2 ap's and brought them to the installers to setup again. I changed the ssid and pswd and things went downhill from there. 4.5 hours and two beat up installers later, I was back to the stock ssid and pswd. They had spent 4 hours on the phone with their tech support and had switched out 5 ap's before getting it to work again. The installers said that the ssid and pswd cannot be changed.

Sooooo.

Is this true? Can the ssid and pswd not be changed? Do you really have to re-pair the ap's with any change?

You can absolutely change the SSID's. First change them on the modem and then follow these instructions.

At the AP, press and hold the WPS button for a minimum of ten (10) seconds

Release the AP WPS button

Within two (2) minutes, at the AWG (modem), press and release the WPS button.

At the AP, wait until the red LED ring around the WPS button stops blinking; this indicates that the AP has joined the modems network with identical wireless settings.